What's new

To MGM: Are there any plans to release Pasolini's movies to DVD? (1 Viewer)

I heard from (I think) DVDFILE that you guys and girls at MGM will be issuing Pier Paolo Pasolini's IL DECAMERON onto the DVD format. Are there any plans for MGM to issue the rest of Pasolini's films that reside in the library, which I think is all of them? The reason that I ask is that if you do, nobody in the US has to go out of their way and their means to obtain the out of print Image DVD's of IL DECAMERON, I RACCONTI DI CANTERBURY, and IL FIORE DELLA MILLE E UNA NOTTE. And also keep people from paying hundreds of dollars for the out of print and poor looking SALO O LE CENTIVENTI GIORNATE DI SODOMA. Any info will be most appreciated.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
I also hope that the release of Decameron means we'll see the rest of the Trilogy of Life titles.

Re: the rights to TEOREMA, they also reside with MGM. All of Pasolini's films were released and partially funded by United Artists. When Pasolini's films were issued on US video, MGM apparently declined to issue them and Water Bearer Films picked them up with Image Entertainment issuing them on LaserDisc. The only exception was SALO, which Image wanted no part of. That is why the LaserDisc and DVD were issued by Criterion. Apparently Water Bearer lost the rights to Pasolini's catalog which explains why his films are out of print in the US now. Also, if you've seen the opening logo of Water Bearer's Pasolini tapes, the music from the United Artists logo of the 60's and 70's is playing underneath an obviously hastily video-generated Water Bearer films logo. That should give you a clue as to who is the true rights holders of Pasolini's film oeuvre.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks