What's new

To Live and Die In L.A. Cancelled Once Again . . . But Now Out! (1 Viewer)

Brad Vautrinot

Stunt Coordinator
This is, I believe, the second time this film has been cancelled on BD and just a day or two before its scheduled release. Anyone know what gives?

Amazon states "Discontinued by the manufacturer".

Brad

Mike.B

Stunt Coordinator
That sucks!! :thumbsdown: :angry:

I've been looking forward to this. Great, underrated 80s movie.

Winman42

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Winston
Yeah, it's one of my fave films, would love to add this to the collection. Great soundtrack as well.

Win

Jeff McMillan

Stunt Coordinator
Bummer. I was hoping with this one out of the way that maybe we'd finally get the Sorcerer special edition that's been hinted at for awhile.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
To further confuse the situation, now Amazon has it back up for pre-order, apparently with an estimated release of July 1.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
BREAKING NEWS!

I just received the HTF review copy of this title, and I think I may know the reason for the delay.
The cover art hasn't changed. It's still as shown at various etailers (including Amazon and DVD Empire). It indicates a 25 GB Blu-ray disc containing the movie encoded with MPEG 2 and the soundtrack in DTS-HD MA, with a DVD that also has the movie plus all the special features (the previously issued 2003 special edition).

And, indeed, the case does contain one Blu-ray disc and one DVD, the latter bearing the same artwork and 2003 copyright date as the DVD previously issued by MGM.

However . . . the Blu-ray isn't 25 GB. It's 50. And when you start playing it, the codec doesn't show up as MPEG 2; it's AVC. And there are a few more subtitle options than are listed on the case.

A full review will follow this weekend, but I thought this was worth reporting sooner rather than later.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Michael Reuben

BREAKING NEWS!

I just received the HTF review copy of this title, and I think I may know the reason for the delay.
The cover art hasn't changed. It's still as shown at various etailers (including Amazon and DVD Empire). It indicates a 25 GB Blu-ray disc containing the movie encoded with MPEG 2 and the soundtrack in DTS-HD MA, with a DVD that als has the movie plus all the special features (the previously issued 2003 special edition).

And, indeed, the case does contain one Blu-ray disc and one DVD, the latter bearing the same artwork and copyright date as the DVD previously issued by MGM.

However . . . the Blu-ray isn't 25 GB. It's 50. And when you start playing it, the codec doesn't show up as MPEG 2; it's AVC. And there are a few more subtitle options than are listed on the case.

A full review will follow this weekend, but I thought this was worth reporting sooner rather than later.
I received my BRD from Amazon on Wednesday, but haven't yet played it. I hope I don't regret not cancelling my old order.

Crawdaddy

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I watched the BRD today and thought the film looked very good in comparison to my memory of viewing the film many years ago in a movie theater. The film, like many films in the 1980s, was never that pretty to look at whether in a movie theater or on some video format at home. This is not to say the camerawork of the film wasn't good. I thought the audio track was more impressive on BRD so I'll be interested to read Michael's full review regarding both the video and audio presentations of this release. I didn't play the SD DVD.

Crawdaddy

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Crawdaddy-
Its interesting that you mentioned that you thought the audio track was better on Blu-ray. Michael had the opportunity to submit a question for William Friedkin. He asked:

In 2003, you spoke in detail about the process of digital restoration for the DVD. Has there been any further restoration work done for the Blu-ray release?

Here is William Friedkin's response. He addresses both the audio and the video:
[COLOR= #1f497d]http://brightcove.vo.llnwd.net/pd10/media/22204784001/22204784001_69571382001_46339572372098e6344f86f3d503de6daa2cabaf[/COLOR]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks