What's new

'To Catch a Thief' - any reviews yet ? (1 Viewer)

Dale MA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dale
The new transfer looks excellent from those screengrabs. The previous DVD featured a rather ropey transfer, so this DVD is a welcome upgrade :emoji_thumbsup:

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
I am working on a review right now. I can safely say, however, that this DVD is beautiful. I did not see the previous version for comparison, however.

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
I wish Paramount would release an HD DVD version. I'll probably upgrade, but if I knew a Hi Def version was in the works I would wait.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Bradley-E said:
I wish Paramount would release an HD DVD version. I'll probably upgrade, but if I knew a Hi Def version was in the works I would wait.
It could very well be coming out. Yesterday, Paramount released An Officer and a Gentleman SE on SD DVD. Just a couple of days ago they then announced it was coming out on HD DVD and BRD later this summer.
The same might happen with To Catch a Thief which is why I haven't preorder this disc.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Same here Robert. One of my favorites from Hitchcock. Not as good overall as Rear Window, Vertigo, Dial M For Murder, or North By Northwest...but a good one and some great cinematic moments from Cary Grant & Grace Kelly. Her kiss to Cary in the hotel hallway is something else.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif

Bradley-E

Screenwriter
Robert Crawford said:
It could very well be coming out. Yesterday, Paramount released An Officer and a Gentleman SE on SD DVD. Just a couple of days ago they then announced it was coming out on HD DVD and BRD later this summer.
The same might happen with To Catch a Thief which is why I haven't preorder this disc.
I think I will hold off also. This title seems like something Paramount would release on Hi Def.

JustinCleveland

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Justin Cleveland
Tim Glover said:
Same here Robert. One of my favorites from Hitchcock. Not as good overall as Rear Window, Vertigo, Dial M For Murder, or North By Northwest...but a good one and some great cinematic moments from Cary Grant & Grace Kelly. Her kiss to Cary in the hotel hallway is something else.
htf_images_smilies_blush.gif
If only she were more than mere eye candy. I found so little attractive in her character. Though her brazen kiss was quite... inspiring.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
It makes sense that this transfer should have less grain. VistaVision films were shot horizontally on 35mm for this very reason. Even when printed down to a matted 35mm vertical print, VV features were noted for having a superior grain structure.

DeeF

Screenwriter
The new disk is beautifully done. Since I'm upscaling it to 1080i, I think it won't look that much better on HD DVD.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
DeeF said:
The new disk is beautifully done. Since I'm upscaling it to 1080i, I think it won't look that much better on HD DVD.
Tsk, tsk, you should know better than to say something like that, just compare "The Searchers" or "Casablanca" HD DVD to the SD DVD. I'm using the VP-50 and it's still not even close with either title.
Crawdaddy

DeeF

Screenwriter
HeHe, you're right. Knowing me, I'll just end up getting the HD DVD too.
:)
I do think this new DVD is a vast improvement.
P.S. I own both the SD and HD version of The Searchers, if that helps. My favorite movie.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks