What's new

To all Polk LSi owners (1 Viewer)

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
What kind of amplification do you use? Alex F was nice enough to answer some of my questions, but I'd like everyone's opinion. How much juice do the LSi9's (or any model of the line) need to really make them sing. If I get the 15's I would buy another amp just for them, so for now I just have to worry about the 9's, center, and two rears (energy eXL15's for the moment). Here's what I have been looking at:

$500 and below range
Sherwood AM9080 120X5
Parasound 855a 85X5

$500-$1000 range
Parasound 1205A 140X5
Adcom GFA 7400 100X5
Marantz MM-9000 150X5

NOTE: All those wattages are at 8 ohms, and the LSi series is rated at 4 ohms, but it actually averages 6 ohms (straight from Polks mouth). Not sure how that would "change" how much power the Polks would actually get.

J. Redcay

Agent
Hello Allen:

I use a pair of LSI 15's in the rear of my setup, and am powering them with a Yamaha RX Z1 @130 watts per channel.
The LSI's are listed at 88db efficiency, which I guess puts them in the moderately efficient department. But judging how they sound I feel they "act" like they are a very efficient pair. I think they could be driven to satisfactory levels with even less than the 130 watts/channel. My opinion only, however.

Rick Faldo

Stunt Coordinator
I asked the same question myself on the Polk website some time back. Most every response was, the more power the merrier. I even e-mailed Polk the same question as my recently purchased receiver has only 100w per. They said my reciever would work fine but the Lsi series likes clean power i.e. dedicated power amp type power.
Seems anything around 200W is perfect and will make these speakers come to life.
If you like Parasound, look at the 2205 minimum and preferably the 2505.
Good luck. Lsi's love power. The Lsi 15 has it's own powered sub, so don't spend too much time worrying about power to drive the subs. Many people prefer using the Lsi9's with separate sub.
My preference as well.
Rick

Gil D

Supporting Actor
I am driving a pair of LSi9 using 2 channels of the Sherwood AM9080 and another 2 channels drive a pair of Sonus faber Concertos (6ohm average) and the amp barely gets warm. The Sherwood is a good amp and sounds quite good. I recommend it at that pricepoint if you can find one. 2nd choice on my shopping list was a H/K Signature 2.1 but found the Sherwood first. Also have the H/K PA5800 but have not tried it with Polk but it drives my Signums (4 ohm) very well. The Parasounds should also do well but were a bit more expensive when I was looking than they are now.

Dan Lyman

Auditioning
running LSI7 and LSIc with a Denon 3801. So far, very pleased with the results sonically. The receiver seems to handle them fine. Of course eventually I'd like to get a separate amp just because, but don't tell my wife....

Brian Kleinke

Supporting Actor
I power my set up off of a Sony N9000ES amp, it provides more then enough power for my room. I'm running a pair of LSi15s, 1 LSiC, and 2 LSiF/Xs.

Brian

Allen Longcor

Supporting Actor
Hmmmmmm now it's crunch time. Do I go with an amp that has more power or one that may be "better." As I've heard all watts are not equal, and more doesn't always mean better. Adcom and Parasound come highly recommended, but the Marantz and Sherwood are mighty tempting with their high watts/channel and great pricing. It's a tough call.

Alex F.

Second Unit
In my view all that matters is the sound quality. Power output is always secondary. A very distant second. Come to think about it, I would place parts quality and reliability ahead of power, too. Especially since the Polks would be served well by even the lowest powered amp you have under consideration.

Given a choice, I would take take, for example, an 80-100 watt/channel amp with superior sonics over a 200-300 watt/channel unit with inferior sound quality. I would make this same decision every time. In fact, I have done exactly this more than once in the past.

Think long-term satisfaction. If necessary, save up longer to avoid an upgrade in a year or two. A great amp will stay in your system for a very long time, provide more pleasure, and save you money in the long run. If you want to be doubly sure of your decision, wait until you can afford the amp that has both the sound quality AND power you'd like. Then you will have an amp for now and for speakers you may obtain in the future.

Happy listening!

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks