What's new

TLC's Trading Spaces (1 Viewer)

LDfan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeffrey
Wow what a fun show. I've gotten hooked and now have the Tivo recording all of them so I can get up to speed. Its interesting to see how all the different designers have their own tastes and such.
For those of us that watch the show, who is your favorite and least favorite designer? Mine would be either Laurie or Frank. My least favorite would probably be Doug or Hildie. Their tastes are a little too far out there for me.

Jeff

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Best: Vern (the most malleable to the homeowner's wishes)
Worst: Frank (ART 102: Color and Interior Design - Learn When to Say When)
Friendly: Laurie, Vern, Frank, Gen
Unfriendly: Doug (smug), Hilde (snarky)
One thing I don't like so much about Trading Spaces (vs Changing Rooms) is that the designers on TS tend to force their design style on the homeowners instead of like on CR where the designers listen and then apply what the homeowner wants in the context of the designer's style. Not to say that forced style doesn't happen on CR (Laurence Llewelyn-Bowen), its just a lot more prevalent on TS (In several episodes I've noticed that the designers come with stuff they already purchased, like Gen did in Denver a couple weeks back)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed this show the first few times I viewed it. At times it's a chore to watch. My partner loves it. Sometimes I wish we didn't have TLC.

Doug R

Supporting Actor
Supposedly word on the street is that Hilde has left and replaced by someone named Kia (female I believe). There's also rumors of Dez (from the first season) returning as well as another new male designer, Donald.
These can probably be semi-confirmed at the TLC TS message board but I'm lazy. :D

Dave Morton

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Dave
I think Frank is completely off the wall. That's what makes him great to watch, although I wouldn't want him to be the designer of any room in my house. I like Vern and Laurie.

Too bad Hilde is leaving (if it is true) I always liked watching her. She always wore those ridiculous high heel shoes while painting. Go figure. Although she should stop the smoking. Her voice is low enough already.

I do think Paige can be annoying but she works well with the others.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
I think that towards the end of season 1 they looked at the show with consultants and tried to "kick it up a notch." The editing style changed dramatically in season 2 (especially the first 10 minutes), new host, more in your face designers, new music and graphics at the day 1 day 2 changeover, etc. Now I think they are probably going to tone it back down a little. I like the show but still prefer CR because the shorter time keeps things a little fresher. I wish that BBC A would show the entire show in a 40 minute block like they used to do with other shows before they "americaninzed" BBC A a couple of years ago.

John Spencer

Supporting Actor
Frank is really good for designing a room for children. He's really fun and inventive. You definitely don't get bored watching him.
Vern is just so good at melding the room with the rest of the house without making it look ordinary. I think he's by far the best designer on the show.
Hilde I just don't like. You can tell from the way she tries to command the carpenters and homeowners that she is a complete biz-natch.
Gen is ok. Of the women, she's probably my favorite, only because none of the women's tastes really appeal to me, but that's a taste issue, not a competence one.
Doug, my friend, one of these days you'll do the metallic antique wall to everyone's satisfaction. He's also very competent, but not to my tastes. And he likes tearing out nice looking things too often. That's one of my peeves with him and Hilde.

Vern is definitely my favorite. When I build my own home I will seriously consider paying Vern Yip to decorate. He would be worth every penny.

DeeF

Screenwriter
I really think the designers were chosen because they're entertainers more than anything. Clearly, Ty Pennington wanted to be an actor. The whole show is considered in terms of entertaining television, rather than a "reality" show about decorators.

I wouldn't have any of those designers touch my apartment. But in some cases, their hands are tied, because of the $1000. For $1000, I'd do one thing in a room. I'd buy a new piece of furniture, or an area carpet, or maybe repaint.

I really believe that what all the designers do to the rooms (particularly the homemade upholstery!) looks very cheap. Admittedly, most of the rooms are horrible to begin with. But I'd like to know, percentage-wise, how many of these homeowners are doing over the designs after the show is over. Didn't they all do it just to get on TV? They don't really care what the room looks like, for TV.

Trace Downing

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trace Downing
Oh' come on Brian...with some cheap outdoor chairs and a 19" TV/VCR combo? I heard the family ripped that crap outta there the next day. His pullman car room was cool though.
Dez the "lamp lady" is cool and fun to watch, but her designs are atrocious.
My problem with Verne is his canned persona. Every episode he's on it's the same old line...."What do you think of this rooooom? :rolleyes." Those are his rolling eyes BTW...His tone of voice is almost like he just can't seen in a room like THAT!
I agree, Doug is a total Drama Queen.

Brian E

Screenwriter
Oh' come on Brian...with some cheap outdoor chairs and a 19" TV/VCR combo? I heard the family ripped that crap outta there the next day.
I didn't say it was a good HT room. ;)
You're right though, the Pullman car room was pretty cool.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks