What's new

Tivo threat (1 Viewer)

michael deakin

Deceased Member
Real Name
Michael Charles Deakin
Hi guys.
Thought you might be interested in this article, Taken from home cinema choice magazine in the UK.

( Broadcasters now telling TiVo what to record shocker
In a move likely to send shudders down the spines of AV enthusiasts everywhere, the BBC has become the first broadcaster to use the technology in TiVo to make it record something a broadcaster wants you to see, rather than something you want it to record. Last week many UK TiVo users would have found that an episode of BBC sitcom Dossa and Joe had been recorded onto their TiVo without their requesting it, as a result of the TiVo organisation being ‘sponsored’ by the BBC to get people’s boxes to make the recording automatically. Even worse, people can’t delete the show from their TiVo hard drive for a week.

TiVo has defended the move by saying that the show was recorded on a reserved section of the hard disk, and wouldn’t have been recorded if the TiVo owner was recording or watching something else.

Oh - so I guess that makes hijacking someone’s private property alright then… And in case you were wondering, yes, more such automatic recordings are planned, and are also taking place in the US.)
What next?. Are they gonna self -destruct the machine in five seconds, If you tape something they don't like.
Michael

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I don't have a problem with it.

When you buy a 30 hour tivo, you actually get something like a 36 hour tivo with around 6 hours reserved for their use. They do use promotional ability as part of their revenue model, and they do not hide this fact.

So, sometimes it records something for a promotion (into this area) and puts it in your menu for you to watch.

It doesn't cancel any of your existing recordings to record these programs, and if you are watching something while the show is on, it will let you watch your show and it will not record the show that is being promoted.

So how are you being violated?

GordonL

Supporting Actor
In the US, they've been doing that. I've had small advertisements from BestBuy downloaded on my box - a couple small bits on Feng Shui but a complete music video by Sheryl Crow of her latest release. As long as it doesn't interfere with my ToDo list, I don't have a problem with it.

AaronD

Stunt Coordinator
I love my Tivo, I don't have a problem with this either. In fact, if it helps tivo stay afloat I'm more than willing to accept this. I have read that Tivo need all the revenue they can get, and I would hate to see the service go away. What happens if Tivo folds in a couple of years? What are we going to do with our expensive useless boxes then?

As long as it doesn't affect anything I've already got in my ToDo list I'm not bothered by it at all.

-Aaron

Eujin

Supporting Actor
Count me in as well. Tivo is one of the best things to ever come along in the A/V world. As long as these promo recordings do not interfere with my recording ability, I don't have a problem with it. If anything, Tivo's suggestions are way more annoying and I've had mine shut off for months now.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
I agree that I do not mind the advertisements that Tivo downloads. But the idea is kind of scary that they can put whatever they want into your Tivo whenever they want. What if a dvd player had a chip to where you had to watch a certain studios previews before you could watch a movie? The issue is privacy and personal choice and we as consumers have to be smart about how much control we give companies.

Dmitry

Supporting Actor
As long as I don't HAVE to watch these and they DON'T interfere with my own recordings -- I don't care. To me it's less annoying than regular commercials -- the value of the service they offer is much greater to me than the inconvenience this may cause.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I, too, have no problem with it, and I'm happy to see TiVo get the additional revenue.

What if a dvd player had a chip to where you had to watch a certain studios previews before you could watch a movie?
Simple: That player would sit on the shelf unsold.

M.

Robert Ma

Second Unit
Right, as stated above you do NOT have to watch these showcases that are downloaded.

Heck, I love Tivo so much I think I'd even put up with ad banners (like the one on the top of this page) when I'm cruising thru the Now Playing list if it would reduce my monthly bill and generate Tivo money.

Jason Caudill

Stunt Coordinator
Michael,
I agree with both your points. That is one reason why I was hesitant to buy a lifetime service on mine (I did anyway when they raised the price of service). I don't think that the dvd players would go unsold though. First people who are new to dvd or unfamiliar with such a problem would buy the players, soon manufactures would see that there was money to be made, and before we knew it we would all be searching the hardware for sale section in search of the "old dvd players." Do I think this will happen? Probably not, but we will see something like it in the near future I bet. Jason

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
First people who are new to dvd or unfamiliar with such a problem would buy the players, soon manufactures would see that there was money to be made, and before we knew it we would all be searching the hardware for sale section in search of the "old dvd players."
You know, someone tried to do something like this once; it was called DIVX, and it failed miserably. :)
M.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This article was referenced in another thread.
I still think most people reacting to this in a negative way do not understand at least some of these points:
1) It does not use the hard drive space that was promised you
2) It will not stop you from watching anything you had wanted to watch instead (live or recorded)
3) You don't have to watch it
4) It is clearly labled as something different than your normal recordings
I do see one point; the parental control issue. Any promotional programming not rated TV-G or 'family programming' or what have you should probably get some kind of parental lock put on it.

Andrew P

Second Unit
I love Tivo, but I dont like the idea of this one bit. Most things start out small with little resistance, but can become a major headache.

If I want to record something then I will record it. If not, I dont care what part of the hard drive it is on-it is still my Tivo and they put something there without my permision. That is bothersome and wrong in my opinion.

Tivo should send me an email about the show or promotion, the time its on, etc, and then I can make a decision to view and/or record. They should not just record something onto my Tivo. I know everyone will have their own opinion, but to me this is plain wrong.

Andy

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I have a problem with this.

1. First and foremost, the BBC should not be wasting UK license payers' money on external sponsorship.

2. I do not want the waste in power and hard disk life this would entail; (significant if done regularly)

3. What happens if it's recording to its reserved section and you decide to record another channel? I see a worst case scenario here of having both recorded at the same time, with a downgrade of quality in the programme I want.

4. This extra reserved space could be made available at no extra cost, instead of being used for marketing. Or, the TIVO could be cheaper. For those of you who would counter by saying the TIVO is cheaper due to this feature, I say "yeah, right".

I have no problem with this feature PROVIDED there is an option in the setup menu to disable it. This is not the case though, is it?

DeborahK

Supporting Actor
I think Americans are going to have to expect something like this -- after all, most of our programming is paid for by adverts and not simple subscription. Tivo and similar devices allow viewers to skip ads and therefore we have to expect that advertisers are going to try to find some new ways to get their products in front of our eyes. As has already been noted, those of us in the US have already had some ads put onto our Tivos in the Showcases section.

What I don't understand is why the BBC would be doing this. I mean, isn't the BBC a commercial free service paid for directly by either the government or the viewers? I think this should mean that you could not have anything they produce and air foisted on your recorder without your permission. It seems really, really odd that they would do this -- at least to me is does.

Deborah

MickeS

Senior HTF Member

And HTF should be banner-free. And I don't want junk-mail in my mailbox. And I hate billboards. Life sucks.

/Mike

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
And HTF should be banner-free. And I don't want junk-mail in my mailbox. And I hate billboards. Life sucks.
1. HTF is banner free, at least it is with the right software. ;)
2. Use two email accounts. One for your friends and family, another for website registration etc. If you're careful, you will get no junk emails in your first account.
3. Billboards? Get out of the city. :)
4. Life doesn't have to suck. :D

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Micke pretty much hit the nail on the head.
When you buy a Tivo, the box says 'service required'. If you don't like the service, don't buy a Tivo.
Wow, that is hard, eh?
Nah, in our modern society it makes a lot more sense to go ahead and buy one, then whine about it. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks