What's new

Titanic vs. L.A. Confidential for Best Picture 1997 (1 Viewer)

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
At the time, I was really disappointed that L.A. Confidential didn't win the top prize. I still think its a much, much better film that Titanic. But with more time to reflect, and after thinking about which other films have won, before and after 1997, I think Titanic was far more significant than L.A.Confidential, socially, culturally and financially. These are what determine a Best Picture winner. It doesn't matter that LAC was a (much) more artistically significant film. Its customary for films of this nature to get a nomination, but ultimately Hollywood is about money, and the awards handed out are reflective of that purpose. In that regard Titanic was the rightful winner, and thoroughy deserved it!

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Paul,
I must disagree. I do feel, quite strongly, that Titanic deserved the Oscar. I also feel that LAC is one of the best movies I ever saw, and almost any other year, it would have won. I also disagree that LAC is more artistic. Titanic was a towering achievement in every technical way, including narrative. LAC was an incredible script (adapted from an incredible author) perfectly realized. The notion that the Oscar is fueled by money is fairly ridiculous. Instead of citing numerous examples, I will agree that Oscars are based on sentiment and, as said before, "noble purpose." I wish more people had seen LAC. I wish they had an Ensemble Acting award or that the actors had been nominated. But the better movie won this year, in my opinion. I know many of this forum disagree, as well as several critics, but Titanic was a much more challenging cinematic effort. Thanks for listening.
Sincerely,
Chuck

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Well, I see no contest quality-wise. L.A. Confidential, flaws notwithstanding, is a much, much better film than the Cameron thing.
------------------
2001-a.jpg

TerryRL

Senior HTF Member
No disrespect to Jim Cameron's movie, but I've always felt that "L.A. Confidential" was the best movie of 1997. "Titanic" was a monumental acheivement, but "L.A. Confidential", in my opinion, had much stronger performances, as well as a stronger narrative.
Hollywood loves to honor films of the caliber of "Titanic", which is why no one was surprised it won. I mean people were calling it "Gone With the Wind at Sea" that year, while "L.A. Confidential" was seen as this generation's "Chinatown".
"L.A. Confidential" also has the dubious honor of being the only film ever to sweep all of the major critics' awards, but fail to win the Best Picture Oscar.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
My favorite film of 1997 was Jackie Brown.
My favorite film of 1997 was the landing of the Mars Pathfinder. I also enjoyed the french movie: La Confidential.
Just kidding. Titanic and L.A. Confidential were both good.
I also sat home on the Fouth of July to watch the Landing of the Mars Pathfinder and witnessed the technological marvel live.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
I felt L.A. Confidential should have won among the nominees for 1998, but The Sweet Hereafter was the best movie of that year.
~T

David Ren

Stunt Coordinator
I think what he's trying to say is LA Confidential should've won if nominated in 1998, but Sweet Hereafter is the best film of 1997.
Dave

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
What Jack said.
Titanic sucks.
biggrin.gif

------------------
ribbon.gif
RainHTFpic.jpg

"Imagine all the people, living life in peace..." - Imagine by John Lennon
Anyone in the Vancouver Canada area interested in a meet? Click here
MOVING ON DOES NOT MEAN FORGETTING.

JustinS

Agent
Titanic really was an achievement, to be sure, and I was not at all surprised that it won. Of course, it also features some remarkably lackluster performances from its two leads and some sadly one-dimensional characters. I honestly enjoyed it the first time I saw it. However, it really nosedives on subsequent viewings, its flaws becoming more and more glaring and, ultimately, annoying.

andreasingo

Stunt Coordinator
I have only seen L.A Confidential once but Titanic several times so I may be biased, don't know.
Technically and visually speaking there's no argument. Titanic's wins for cinemathography, art direction, direction, visual effects, sound effects editing and so on were very deserved. Hell, I think it's the best movie ever in those categories.
In terms of script I think both Titanic and L.A confidential was strong but L.A confidential was a bit stronger.
Acting. Kate Winslet was great in Titanic but the ensemble cast in L.A confidential were incredible. No contest here.
Best picture. Very hard to say. I was blown away of Titanic the first time I saw it. I appreciate it even more the next time. It's one of my all time favourites because of the impact this movie have on me every time I see it. I need to see L.A confidential more times I guess. Right now my nod would go to Titanic.

Brian_J

Second Unit
Titanic?...Chuckle, Chuckle...
LA Confidential. No doubt.
Brian
------------------
Zed's Dead Baby...

Scott H

Supporting Actor
I believe L.A. Confidential should have won Best Picture. I also believe it's cinematography was far superior to Titanic.
------------------
My DVD Library
Runaway production? No thanks. Where I've filmed, benefiting local economies: AL, CA, ID, IL, IN, IA, KS, MN, MO, MT, NV, OH, OR, TX, WA, WY.

MichaelPe

Screenwriter
1997 was a good year... Boogie Nights, Contact, The Sweet Hereafter, Good Will Hunting, ...
But between L.A. Confidential and Titanic, I would choose L.A. Confidential. Winning "Best Screenplay" wasn't enough...
But, seeing James Cameron embarrass himself by screaming "I'm king of the world!" was worth the loss. :)
------------------
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/uub/Forum9/HTML/005780-2.html
MY TOP 20 OF 2001

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I agree that "L.A Confidential" should have won over "Titanic". It was superior where it counts.....in the story!! The acting was far better as well.I bought a copy of "L.A Confidential" for my collection. I have yet to buy "Titanic" and doubt I ever will.
------------------

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Titanic didn't even have the best visual effects I've ever seen. My god! When the ship was at sea it was the most patently CGI-ish creation next to all of Phantom Menace. The special effects in 2001: A Space Odyssey and ~70-80% of the SFX in Cameron's own Aliens, T2, and The Abyss looked much better.
Did Cameron and Digital Domain ever hear of traveling live action digital mattes and rotoscoping for the people walking and interacting on the ship during the medium and long shots (they did this in the opening scene of the The Mummy with no CGI actors used)??
It was completely fake except for the real exterior and interior shots, which were indeed lavish (however some historical artwork mistakes were made because Cameron must have watched A Night To Remember that had the same gaffes). The best effects were the live action, underwater photography of the actual Titanic graveyard, and some of the scenes of the sinking.
The acting and script were as wooden as the bow planking. Totally uninspired.
Yes, Kate Winslet was pure eye candy (va va va voom!!), but she didn't even try to emote like she is capable of in this film.
It was like watching two 90's vacuous teenagers teleported to the early 1900's for the amount of believability it had.
Between the two L.A. Confidential, storywise and acting-wise, seems like Citizen Kane in comparison. I can't say it should have won the Oscar as I didn't get a chance to see all the other nominations, but Titanic should not have. That much I'm certain of.
Dan
------------------
Stop HDCP and 5C-- Your rights are at risk!

Justin Doring

Screenwriter
Is this a serious question? I guess I'll treat it as such.
Titanic was inferior to L.A. Confidential in EVERY area. That said, I'm not at all surprised that Titanic won the Oscar, as most Oscar winning films are quite mediocre.
------------------
"Home is where the theater is!"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks