What's new

Titanic picture problem (1 Viewer)

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
I tried watching Titanic (not the SE) the other night on my new Sony KDF-E50A10 LCD HDTV, and the screen image shrinks to a 36" diagonal widescreen image with a black matte all around it on my 50" display. Just wondering what's up with that. I checked all my settings on my Panasonic DVD player and TV, and I tested some other DVD's and they look ok. Thanks

TedD

Supporting Actor
The original Titanic is not anamorphic, so your behavior is to be expected. Either buy the new disc or use one of the zoom modes on your TV.

Ted

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
Dont even bother with a zoom mode. The new edition is so much better than the original, I'd just say turn your old disc into a coaster, or give it to someone who only has a 27" or smaller TV and pick up the new one!!!

James Herrod

Stunt Coordinator
Jeez, I knew non-anamorphic sucks, but I didn't know it had those symptoms on 16X9 TVs. I had my old 16X9 Mitsubishi RPTV for about 2 years before I got the new Sony, and, come to think of it, I never watched it on the old TV, either. The only reason I broke it out was that I bought a new SVS sub and the manual said there is a good demo seen in Titanic. Thanks for the heads up.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
My Panasonic RP-91 progressive scan DVD player can automatically sense a non-anamorphic disc and scale it to fill the screen of my 16:9 TV (much better than the TV's zoom mode with the player set to interlaced output). However, the DVD has to be properly flagged, and I think the original Titanic DVD is one of the ones that is not. So I get black bars all around as you described unless I manually go in to the menu and select the zoom setting in the player. Once you do that one time the DVD player "remembers" that disc and will do it correctly the next time, unless you flash the firmware to wipe the slate clean again in the EPROM.

I don't know if your Panasonic player is similar to any of the above.

GlennH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glenn
Speaking of Titanic picture problems, does anybody know if the glitch on the new release mentioned here at davisdvd.com (also mentioned at thedigitalbits.com the other day) shows up with the Panasonic RP-91. Apparently it isn't a problem on all players?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
In the Titanic review thread, somebody (forget who, but a "senior" HTF person IIRC) who watched it with an RP-91 saw it. I have an RP-82, and it's there. For easy ref, I timed it at 1:19:19 on disc 1.

DennisPCJr

Agent
Has anyone else reported jumpy video on certain scenes on the deleted reel? Namely track 9, 19, 21 and some others? Looks sorta like when im watching Direct tv and is looses a few frames cause of rain or something. It seems to either freeze for a frame then jump ever so slightly. I can go into it in more detail if im the only one to report this I guess. Thanks

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I don't know exactly what scenes that you're talking about but the transition from the theatrical footage to deleted footage may be missing a frame or two and have caused that. Just a guess though.

DennisPCJr

Agent
Nope During the entire scenes I listed maybe every 30 seconds or so , the footage will have this jumpyness to it on and off. Then another cut scene will play and be fine then a few scenes later it goes on again. Very strange but theres definatly something not right about mine.

DennisPCJr

Agent
I can only describe it as a studder of a frame with some lines around any movement but if it shows up on another player that im going to try ill exchange it. Its most evident in chapter 21. I cant get it to show up in frame by frame still, but in every case its in the same spot each time. The thousand plus dvds i have Ive never really seen this before. May be some sort of progressive read error or somethin i dunno. Ill try it in another player and report back.

Update
I just tryed it in another player and its not there. This is so so werid just on certain cut scenes. and ive never seen this happen before. Im goin to try turning progressive off or somethin maybe. I dunno. And i dont know that getting another copy whould make any difference either. :frowning: anyone have a clue what i may be experiencing with this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks