What's new

Titanic Limited Edition Gift Set 11/8? (1 Viewer)

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
Anything is possible, but (in my case) I paid $21.56 for a title my local retailers are selling for $19.95, so even if it's a jury-rigged special edition, I still get the limited edition material for less than $2, so I'm pleased.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter
EUREKA! The disc has arrived! Though I can provide no pictures, being at work and such, I can give you a detailed breakdown of what is offered and how it is packaged. Firstly, and importantly, the outer case does NOT feature a UPC code! It does feature a barcode with the numbers X X 7 6 3 9 7 4 underneath it and the words "Titanic (Limited Edition Gift Set W [sic]", but no UPC, so it appears clear that this item has not been developed for sell by brick-and-mortar retailers--the theory that this actually is a DVDEmpire exclusive appears more salient now.

The outer box is thin, completely plain white cardboard stock; the top of the box features the exact same picture as can be seen at the link I provided above, and this picture is NOT glued to the box. The box opens by placing it on its back and lifting its front side up like a lid. Ensconced in the lid, held in place by beveled slots on all four corners, is the senitype film cell; the shot featured is the famous "I'm flying!" scene, and looks lovely (though I doubt this is true authentic motion picture film intended for projection because I can make out no soundtrack strip on either side of the frame). The film frame is surrounded by a nice sepia-toned montage of scenes from the film.

In the box proper, on the left-hand side, is the collector coin. It is larger than any domestic currency I'm aware of, even a $1 coin, and is quite weighty. It appears to be made of bronze (or a bronze-colored metal) and its front side features an aft view of TITANIC; across the coin's top, it reads: "HER MEMORY LIVES ON". Across the bottom, it says: "April 14,1912". The backside of the coin shows a fore view of the ship; across the top of the coin, it reads: "RMS TITANIC". At the bottom, it reads: "April 10,1912 / White Star Line / Southampton to NYC". The coin in housed in a protective plastic shell which is ringed by an illustrated cardboard inlay that reads, on the front side, "TITANIC / Available on DVD" with copyright info and the Paramount Pictures logo; on the top of the backside, it reads "The British Luxury Passenger Liner Titanic sank during it's maiden voyage on April 15, 1912, en route to New York City from Southampton, Eng." and on the bottom of the backside: "The vessel sank with a loss of 1,522 lives at a point approximately 400 miles south of Newfoundland."

Lastly, to the right-hand side of the box proper is the actual Special Collector's Edition of the DVD itself; this is the same DVD in every way that has been available for the last few weeks in stores, so you don't need me to fill in any details there.

So there you go, folks; for less that $2 more than I would have bought it debut week at Best Buy, I feel like I hit the mother lode (though the continued absence of the international market's fourth disc still burns). For the higher price DVDEmpire is listing for the product now, the decision to buy or not to buy becomes trickier...

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Nice description Travis! Just waiting for mine to arrive. Hopefully this week. You lucked out getting it at the price you did. I had to pay the higher price because I was waiting to see if anyone else was going to have it. Wish they had stated that on their website "DVDEpire Exclusive". That would have been nice. Please post again after you watch the first disc to see if there is and defects in it like I have read on HTF.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks