What's new

Titanfall: Anyone buy it? MS hopes this will close the gap from PS4 and XBox One (1 Viewer)

Kevin Collins

Former owner, from the first state with COVID-19
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Collins
Even though Titanfall is available on XBox 360, the special bundle with the XBox One for $500 has MS hoping that XBox One sales will increase. Of course, for all of us that have already bought an XBox One, there isn't any price benefit to us.

If Titanfall is really the next Halo, then maybe this could be the breakthrough title to help XBox One.

I haven't heard if the graphics are different from the XBox One and the XBox 360 version of Titanfall. Anyone buy both to judge?

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Does it have much of a (or any) single-player campaign? I couldn't care less about online multiplayer FPS games. I almost feel like they're a semi-fad that will pass into a steady but lower level of popularity (cf. Texas Hold 'Em).

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Does it have much of a (or any) single-player campaign? I couldn't care less about online multiplayer FPS games. I almost feel like they're a semi-fad that will pass into a steady but lower level of popularity (cf. Texas Hold 'Em).
Not at all. My friend picked it up, and it is online multiplayer only.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
So much for buying an XBone. Online-only games are a non-starter with me. Developers are really screwing the pooch when they decide to ditch single player campaigns. Not everyone wants to "run and gun" and listen to shitty smack talk, because a person is not Sgt. Rock.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
A bit of a conspiracy going on currently. IGN has no review, and The 12 one star reviews from Amazon yesterday have disappeared off the face of the earth today.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
No single player. I bought mine digitally and bought my nephews the special edition console. So that's 2 sales here.I will say this: As someone who SUCKS at FPS but still gives them a gung ho try, I LOVE Titanfall so far. I never felt useless or horrible even when at the bottom of the charts.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm so tempted to buy it. No split screen sucks because I have a roommate who games with me but we don't want to buy two Xbones in order to play. What kills me more is that you need to go through matchmaking, you can have a party of six but you still need to play against others as deemed by XBLive. You can't do what I used to love to do in Halo, which is when you find a cool party of 12 people, all of you join a party and play six-on-six battles against each other. Major omission for a game that's online multiplayer only.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
No single player at all, we bought first day. Its pretty. Gameplay is nice. Server issues on first day were a bitch. The problem is the game play is fairly blah, and my chief complaint with all multiplayer games..other players remain foul mouthed douchebags.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Couldn't pull the trigger. There is such a dearth of games I'm interested in for either the Xbone or the PS4, I really couldn't justify the $500+ outlay for essentially Titanfall. By the time Destiny arrives in the Fall, and hopefully screens from the new Halo, I should be able to make a decision by then on a next-gen console. Also, MS may do a hardware revision by then as well like they did with 360 (die shrinks and what not) and no doubt they'll continue to update their XB1 OS as well (as will Sony and their dashboard).

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Carlo Medina said:
What kills me more is that you need to go through matchmaking, you can have a party of six but you still need to play against others as deemed by XBLive. You can't do what I used to love to do in Halo, which is when you find a cool party of 12 people, all of you join a party and play six-on-six battles against each other. Major omission for a game that's online multiplayer only.
Do you mean there's no way to set up a game with your own friends on both sides (except through the random whims of the matchmaking)?

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Aaron Silverman said:
Do you mean there's no way to set up a game with your own friends on both sides (except through the random whims of the matchmaking)?
pretty much. After I've played this more I'm really disappointed in it. It's directionless. I guess I find games without a single player option or a storyline get really boring quickly.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah Aaron that's what I saw in several online reviews and Matt confirms. You can have a party of six, and then you'll all be on the same team, but you'll have to face whomever matchmaking pairs you up with. No more inviting of 12 people together to have a private six-on-six match.

That, coupled with no campaign mode, really is a killer for me. Despite the fact that I play Halo 95% online, the way I get used to the controls for each game is to play campaign mode. And sometimes you just don't feel like hanging out with the griefers online and you just want to partner up with your buddies. And as of now that isn't possible, though Respawn claims it may come out with a patch to matchmaking to allow private matches in the future. However Halo/Bungie has allowed that since Halo 2 so I don't get why Respawn didn't have that as a Day One option. It's not exactly a new concept.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
The game reviews are appealing. I haven't played online multiplayer since UT and Starcraft. I miss it. It's sounds very good for an online console newb like myself. But it's not enough to buy a new system and annual online fee. Look forward to see what more comes the next year.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Aaron Silverman said:
Maybe they just had to prioritize that feature lower to meet their release date.
I'm sure they had a reason for not including it. I'm just saying that because of that omission, and the relative lack of other games I'm interested in, I am going to sit on the fence a bit longer before jumping into the next-gen console.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yes. All multiplayer does. It includes a 2 day subscription in the box.
I'm pretty well done with it and selling mine off now. It's just not for me. I've come to realize that without a storyline even multiplayer is not very good; I don't have any reason to relate to the characters I'm playing and I don't have any idea of why I should care about the outcome. It makes the game far less entertaining for me.
I realize these were choices made because that's what a big part of their audience wants, it just didn't work for me

(so, if you want a copy cheap, before I put it on Amazon, let me know)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Huh. Is it playable without Live, since there's no single-player mode?

Maybe everyone else has Live, but I've never had it on my 360. That seems like a big requirement for a new game, that isn't really mentioned in the reviews. (Darn kids. Get off my lawn. Coke used to be 25-cents!)

Jari K

Senior HTF Member
DaveF said:
Huh. Is it playable without Live, since there's no single-player mode?
Yep. The biggest title on Xbox One and no single-player campaign. It has finally come to that.

Now perhaps you can (??) play this against bots, but it's hardly a substitute for the single-player campaign. Thanks MS, but no thanks.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I don't have categorical problems with multiplayer-only. I lost days to UT. But a great deathmatch requires good friends in sync with your gaming. And I don't have that these days.

So practically, like you and Matt, I want games with excellent single-player modes that I can play at my own pace -- which is very slow right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Joshua32
Recent bookmarks