Tire Pressure Gauges?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jeff_A, Nov 4, 2001.

1. Jeff_A

Jeff_A Screenwriter

There was an excellent thread on tires recently. Some of you demonstrated that you are truly tire experts and I found the information invaluable. Can I take this a step further?
    I have owned numerous pressure gauges to monitor adequate tire pressure in my vehicles, but nothing other than the generic ones you can pick up at a gas station. Are there better gauges I should be looking at so that I am getting as accurate a reading as possible?
    I swear there is a real technique to inserting that damn thing. If its twisted even a tiny bit to one side, I get goofy readings that are extremely high or non-existant. I need a FOOL PROOF gauge that any idiot (like me) can be successful with. [​IMG] Any thoughts?
    ------------------
    The Dark Tower
    [​IMG]
    Fearless Vampire Killers (1967)?

2. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Tire gauges start at the cheaper ones you get in a gas station and progress us to the dialface models that can retail for $60. The dialface models are much, much more accurate and sturdy, and they aren't really anymore complicated than the regular gauges.
    Bruce
    ------------------
    [​IMG]
    Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

3. Ted Lee

Ted Lee Lead Actor

i also have one of those dial-face models. i think i bought it for about 25 bucks or so. it seems pretty accurate and it has this feature where it will keep the needle at the highest pressure reading until you press this button to release it.
    it's made out of brass and seems pretty durable. i've had it for years and (afaik) it's still working perfectly.
    i would definitely stay away from those pop-up needle pen looking ones.
    ------------------
    "The ship of death has a new captain." - nosferatu (1922)

4. Jonathan Burk

Jonathan Burk Second Unit

Jonathan Burk
    Consumer Reports has actually tested tire gauges, so you can look for their summary. They looked at price, accuracy, and durability.