What's new

Tips for Grilling Steaks? (1 Viewer)

SteveLa

Stunt Coordinator
So I have these filets from Omaha Steaks that I want to throw on the grill tomorrow. I've always used a marinade when grilling steaks, but these particular filets come wrapped on the outside with bacon. I'm thinking the steak marinade may make the bacon taste funny. Would it be better if I just went with a dry rub on these or would I be best just removing the bacon and marinading as ususal? I don't think my self or my guests will miss the bacon if the steaks taste good.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member

If you cook it right. :)

I prefer dry rubs. But I also cook my steak rare too, and I tend to find that very, very flavorful.

Philip_T

Supporting Actor

Exactly. The only other thing I would recommend would be some creole seasoning. It really is sublime on beef. You could also try mixing freshly crushed garlic with butter and spread all over the steaks.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I'll do salt and pepper, but I also like the montreal seasoning if you use just a little bit.

I season it, let it sit out for 30 minutes or so, get the grill super hot then turn the burner down to low, throw some smoke chips in the smoker box (I don't know if it flavors the steak but it sure smells good when it's cooking) and toss the steak on. Then flip it with tongs, never a fork.

be careful with the bacon, it'll drip a lot of grease and want to flare up.

Richard_T

Second Unit
I have a real problem with grilling steaks. i like my steaks somewhere between rare and medium-rare but I can never do it right. they always end up too rare or over done. (I hate steaks that are cooked completely in the middle!)

I've tried those forks you can buy that supposedly tell you how well the meat is cooked inside but even they aren't very accurate.I've been told that the lid on the BBQ should NEVER be closed while cooking and never flip the meat more that once for each side, is this right? Has anyone found a fail-proof way to grill steaks medium rare?

Jason Pancake

Stunt Coordinator
I cook my steaks on very high heat. IMO, the steak needs to be thick enough so that the outside has a nice crust by the time the middle gets to medium-rare. I've used a digital probe thermometer in the past to make sure I hit the right temp (about 125 for med-rare). From the side of the steak put the probe right in the middle and make sure to leave it in after cooking until it has rested for a few minutes so that the juices don't run out. For a 1.75 inch steak I usually cook it for 5 1/2 - 6 minutes per side.

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
To add to Jason's post, you might try this low tech method.

Begin with high heat. Grill the steaks on one side until correctly browned (or crusty or whatever) according to your taste. Then flip and reduce the heat to medium high.

The timming from this point on depends on the thickness of the steaks and the heat of your grill, but you might experiment with about 2-4 minutes and flip back to the first side and give that 2 or maybe 3 minutes more.

In any case you can tell when the meat is done to your preference by simply pressing down on a steak with your finger.

A nice medium-rare steak has a nice spring in the touch. It will boucnce back from the impression you make when you depress the meat with your finger.

After a bit of practice, you will be able to tell how the steak should feel according to how you like your meat.

Thick steaks might take a minute or two more than I suggest. Of course you will be able to adjust the timming as you experiment.

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member
I like that too todd, I whip up some garlic butter and melt it over the finished steaks.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I usually use the Club House Montreal Steak Spice (the dry version-the rub-on one sucks), although I'm not sure exactly what's in it (S&P mostly, but probably some garlic and red pepper as well). A beer marinade is also really good sometimes, although that tends to dominate the flavour (especially if you use something tasty like Guinness).

As for cooking, I usually heat up my grill as high as it'll go, and then cook for 2.5-3 mins per side. It's all a matter of experimentation though, and knowing your grill. You can usually tell doneness by the "springiness" of the meat. I tend to go for a medium rare, which means some resistance on the meat, but still pretty "fluid".

I think that the reason you often see things like filets wrapped in bacon is to add some fat (and flavour) to a lean cut.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
I always use the oven to 'broil' the bacon/sirloin.

But for most general grill uestions, it helps if you tell us what kind og grill you're using (propane, charcoal, ...... )

Philip_G

Senior HTF Member

I like to blacken the cheap tri tip steaks from costco, but the SO hates it because it smokes the house up

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
My favorite dry rub is Paul Prudhommes Magic seasoning blend (Meat Magic)
Use it on steak,pork chops, chicken....good stuff. If I have time I'll rub it on a few hours before cooking but find it's just as good if added right before cooking.

On a side note: I didn't think it was good to salt meats BEFORE cooking them. At least that's what I read on the internet so it must be true.

Todd_B

Second Unit
I rub mine down w/olive oil and then season liberally w/kosher salt and freshly ground pepper. I make sure the grill is wicked hot to get that lovely char and grill mine till medium-rare (can't beat having a insta-read thermometer).

Mmm...tasty.

Todd B

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Salt, Pepper, 500F grill for 6min per side on a thick cut sirloin.

Oooooooooo baby.

Fried onions.....:D :emoji_thumbsup:

Brian Perry

Senior HTF Member
Aside from letting the meat rest after cooking, it's important to let it sit at room temperature before cooking as well. Giving the meat about 15 minutes after taking it out of the fridge will allow it to cook more evenly and help avoid the "raw in the middle but burnt on the outside" scenario. This principle applies to butter as well; room temperature butter will yield better results than ice cold butter (that is, for frying/sauteeing -- baking is another matter).

As for seasoning, you want to add salt just prior to cooking.

The instant read thermometer or probe is also a must (in my opinion) for any steak thicker than an inch. It takes all the guesswork out and results in perfect doneness virtually every time.

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
ditto the oil, salt (kosher), freshly ground pepper routine. that's all i ever use ... no marinade, sauce or rub of any kind - that can always be added later. call me a purist... ;)

also ditto the room temperature before cooking, letting the meat rest after cooking tips.

for the doneness test, i just use the finger poke method. it does take some practice, but after a while, you'll get used to what softness equals what degree of doneness. the tip i always give is to make a fist, then press the fleshy part of your hand between your thumb and index finger.

1. make a loose fist, that stiffness is rare
2. make a regular fist, that's medium
3. make a tight fist, that's well done

what's nice is that works for chicken and pork-chops as well.

----

to get the grill marks, put the steak on a right-angle to the grill. after a couple of minutes, rotate it 45 degrees. that'll give you those professional looking char marks.

----

also, don't do the multiple-flip thing. the best thing you can do is drop the steak on there, and leave it be. too many flips just makes it take longer to cook.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks