What's new

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy on DVD! (1 Viewer)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
George Smiley makes his way to home video courtesy of Link Removed, under license from Paramount Home Entertainment. Because of Paramount's contractual stipulations, the set will NOT be available through any retail store or online retailer other than Link Removed. In January 2003 it will be available through other catalogs ONLY. Paramount wants to reserve the right to release it in stores at a later date themselves (though there is no guarantee that will happen), and is allowing Acorn Media a release through limited areas of retail.
The 3 discs set has been remastered and features a new interview with author John le Carre.
Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy is available now.
Look for Smiley's People early next year.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
My father wants Smileys people.
I see its out? Is it available in Canada?
thanx :)

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Those of you with multiregion players may want to check out the UK R2 release from the BBC which is due out in late May. This should include a commentary and other extras.

The extremely good news is that the BBC seem to have set an extremely low rrp for a multidisk set at only £15.99 around $25.

Those of you in the US could try somewhere like Amazon.co.uk where it is slightly less just over $20 and they will deliver to US unlike Play & Splashdvd who are even less for European readers here. Also all the above have been good at sticking to past misprices.

Other BBC DVDs out at the same time for the same price are remastered versions of the classic series Edge of Darkness & Boys from the Blackstuff. Again must be misprices as series would need at least 2 or 3 DVDs (if extras included).

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Is this FULLSCREEN? I imagine since it was originally a TV series it was 1.33:1. Correct?
And what about PAL vs NTSC. I of course need NTSC.
thanx :)

Brandon Gantt

Second Unit
Acorn Media's discs are in their original fullscreen presentation. The transfers were done by Paramount from 35mm elements, so no conversion problems occur. They are, of course, NTSC/Region 1.

As it turns out the BBC's R2 release doesn't feature a commentary after all, just an interview.

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Ok. So the ones on Acorn are NTSC. What about Deep-Discount? I've emailed them and I'm waiting for a reply.

I need to find a way to tape the DVD's. My father doesn't have a DVD player yet. I just want to make copies for him to use on his vcr until he gets a DVD player. I have no macrovision free DVD player. Unless I hack my Pioneer DVD drive. I don't want to buy the video tapes. They'll wear out and he may miss things he can eventually use on a DVD player like the commentary?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As it turns out the BBC's R2 release doesn't feature a commentary after all, just an interview.
It's actually quite a decent 57 minute documentary on John Le Carre, which hogged the spotlight when it was first screened a couple of years ago as it 'outed' him as an ex-spy himself; as if we couldn't have guessed anyway!

---
So many films, so little time...

Greg Krewet

Premium
Supporter
Chris
Acorn has not used Macrovision on other releases.
It may be a violation of this forum's ethics to publicly state you need to make a copy of a dvd despite the fact that you clearly are not doing it for a profit.
Best
Greg

Chris PC

Senior HTF Member
Well, thats exactly what I want to do. Make VHS tape copies for him to use now on his own VCR. Its kinda crazy to go buying my dad a DVD player just to watch these things. He mainly watches british TV programs and reads spy novels. Perhaps if I find a DVD player for really cheap, then thats cool, just not right now, cause I can't afford it! I actually won't necessarily make VHS copies right away. I'll just watch the DVD's with my pop on my home theatre and front projector :) He'll appreciate that more.

Piers C

Stunt Coordinator
It's actually quite a decent 57 minute documentary on John Le Carre, which hogged the spotlight when it was first screened a couple of years ago as it 'outed' him as an ex-spy himself; as if we couldn't have guessed anyway!
Can someone who owns the NTSC Acorn release confirm that this doc is not included? Even without the commentary that was expected, it looks like the R2 is still the version to get.

Thanks

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Piers; the doco on the double-disc R2 is called The Secret Centre. An excellent review of the R2 set can be found here
This review gives full details on the three disc R1 release, which looks decent enough.
You might also want to consider the aforementioned 2-discer of Edge of Darkness (details here ); if you haven't seen it, a fabulous BBC series starring Bob Peck, Joe Don Baker and Joanne Kilmer.
---
So many films, so little time...

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Edge of Darkness is one of the best mini series from the 1980s with a superb soundtrack that included tracks by Eric Clapton & Michael Kamen if I remember correctly
:emoji_thumbsup:

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Oscar, the score was indeed composed by Michael Kamen with Eric Clapton; European forumites can get EoD, or any of the other recent BBC releases mentioned in the dvdtimes review above, from splashdvd.com for a mere £10.95 GBP.

---
So many films, so litle time...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks