What's new

TIME TUNNEL! - Where Are You? (1 Viewer)

FrancisP

Screenwriter
Fox will be finished with Lost In Space in July. Apparently
the series has sold well enough to finish the series. I would think that they would want to continue the Irwin Allen series to see if sales hold out. Since Voyage is the
longest running Allen series, it would make sense that Voyage would be next.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, if they ever release Time Tunnel on DVD, I could finally retire my well-worn View-Master discs of this fabulous series! :emoji_thumbsup:

:D

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
I heard that, Mike :D

Here's the quote from Irwin Allen that I mentioned in an earlier post on this thread:

"Of all the television shows I produced THE TIME TUNNEL was my personal favourite."--Irwin Allen.

Ditto :emoji_thumbsup:

Rick P

Supporting Actor

Shot and wasn't all that bad... a definate different take, but still would have been interesting..

biggest difference, instead of Doug and Tony, it's Doug and Toni...

Gary Cliff

Stunt Coordinator
tvshowsondvd.com has a report on Fox's latest TV-DVD catalog, and it lists "Time Tunnel" as "Coming Soon". This set is right near the top of my MUST HAVE list!

Hi

Not only Time Tunnel also Voyage To the Bottom of the Sea!!!(finally ;) ) along with Lost in Space my favorite tv show of all time.

GREAT NEWS!!!!!

DanMel

Second Unit
Can't wait for this show to bring back childhood memories. Anyone know which season they went back to Custer and Little Bighorn on as I would love to see that episode again. I only faintly remember that episode as a kid.

Nevermind as I found out it was episode #8. I was surprised to find out that there are only 30 episodes of this. I am a big fan of time travel TV shows like this one, Quantium Leap and Voyagers (which was also very short lived (20 episodes)

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member

You said, it, Gary :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

"Two American scientists are lost in the swirling maze of past and future ages during the first experiments on America's greatest and most secret project...THE TIME TUNNEL! Tony Newman and Doug Phillips now tumble helplessly toward a new fantastic adventure...somewhere along the infinite corridors of Time."

What a classic opening line for a truly remarkable 60's series, though short-lived. "General, transport me back to '66 to my parent's house in the den at Friday, 7:00pm CST coordinates Latitude: 32° 51' North Longitude: 96° 58' West (Irving, TX :D ) "

TT fans will probably know this already, but here's a little trivia:

8:00 ET - Time Tunnel

The most expensive show ever produced before 1966.

Time ran out just a year later for this Irwin Allen spectacular. The hour long sci-fi show won an Emmy Award for incredible special effects, the only show on ABC Friday nights in 1966 to ever crack the top ten (and did it only once).

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone know whether the TT episodes that have been airing on Starz and Encore Action channels are edited, or are they the original broadcast versions? I'd think that since these are "movie" channels, and don't air commercials during the episodes, there would be no reason for them to air shortened or edited episodes. I suppose one never knows which version they purchased or was supplied to them though.

Awhile back, I made my own (I think) very nice set of TT DVDs, by digitally recording the episodes from the Starz/Encore broadcast on DirecTV onto a TIVO, which is connected to my computer. I've added menus and such and burned them onto DVDs. I think they look fantastic, but that could be just me. So, I'm wondering whether I need to bother to buy the official DVD release when it comes out? If I already have the unedited versions of the shows, in digital broadcast quality (although not HD), I'm thinking why bother. I probably wouldn't buy the official set just for extras, unless they were just incredible. So, does anyone know for sure whether these are the uncut original broadcast versions?

Thanks,
Dan

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Forum member JeffT. indicates that the current syndicated episodes are indeed edited.

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...67#post2752867

Many episodes are sped up for time, some have missing cliffhangers, some have edited cliffhangers, some have missing scenes or shortened scenes, and some have missing 'in color' bumpers at the start.

I too have completed a transfer to DVD of the entire series, though mine are sourced from VHS tapes of a syndicated run on SciFi from back in the late '90s. The only advantage my set would currently have over a digitally copied set from Encore, would be that back in 1999, SciFi wasn't doing weird logo bugs or promos on the screen, so the shows are fairly 'all there' picture wise.

Harry

Dan-P

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the info, I checked out Jeff's post. I'll have to check my DVDs, but it definitely sounds like he knows what he's talking about. Time compression I just can't understand on Starz, where they're not under any constraint to fit in a certain amount of commercials or anything. I'll probably wait on purchasing the official DVD release until I read some reviews, and perhaps I'll get it. I ended up buying the official DVD release of Star Trek TOS, even though I'd made my own DVD's from Columbia House tapes, because I wanted to have the extras. However, I did not buy the official Lost in Space DVD release, because I'd already made my own DVDs from the Columbia House VHS set and I read that the prints were the same and there were no extras on the DVD set. Have to see how things turn out with the Time Tunnel I guess. Thanks again.

Dan

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
I've not seen the Starz/Action broadcasts since I no longer have cable, but from what I understand, they are the same prints that have been around since the '90s. I believe the speeded up episodes are that way on those tapes that were prepared for broadcast syndication. If your episodes time out to around 52 minutes, then you've got a full episode. Anythnig shorter than that has been tampered with in some way, either through editing or time compression.

It seems inconceivable today that episodes would be that long, but they were. There was originally a one minute break after the opening credits, a one minute break after the first act, then a two minute break at the half hour (one minute to the local station for an ID), a minute break at the :45 mark, another minute after the "See this fantastic adventure next week in THE TIME TUNNEL", and a minute or two after the final credits and before the next show.

There was also time allocated to sponsor "billboards". Following the opening credits, you'd hear, "The Time Tunnel - brought to you by:" and then a 10-second blurb of who the sponsor was and what product they were hawking. A similar event could have happened at the end of the show as well, depending on the sponsoring. Along those lines were at the halfway point, an announcer urging viewers to stay tuned through the local break, that the TIME TUNNEL would return.

Most DVD's these days though aren't including those little bumpers. I've heard that they might be included in the newest TWILIGHT ZONE sets, but really I think most fans would find those little interruptions annoying. As a purist, I'd like to at least have them as either extras or with seamless branching, an option.

But I'm dreaming here - just give me the episodes, all of it, at the correct speed, and with great picture and sound, and I'll be a happy camper.

Harry

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
This is great news. January 24th - only 110 days from now!

And, as mentioned before, it'll contain the un-aired pilot. My copy of that one is in awful shape on VHS and virtually unwatchable by today's standards.

4 DVDs - Four episodes per disc.

I can't wait!

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Great news! The only thing I'd change if I could would be the release of the entire season instead of VOL 1 only. I wonder how long it'll be before VOL 2 is released?

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Jeff Willis wrote:

I hear you. I'd like it all at once too, but I'm not looking this long-awaited gift horse in the mouth.

Look at it this way, too: The series never had a conclusion, and most of the really great episodes fall in that first half-year. (Episode 18 starts the silliness with the silver aliens.)

1.01 Rendezvous With Yesterday
1.02 One Way To The Moon
1.03 End Of The World
1.04 The Day The Sky Fell In
1.05 The Last Patrol
1.06 Crack Of Doom
1.07 Revenge Of The Gods
1.08 Massacre
1.09 Devil's Island
1.10 Reign Of Terror
1.11 Secret Weapon
1.12 The Death Trap
1.13 The Alamo
1.14 Night Of The Long Knives
1.15 Invasion

and we'll be getting the pilot version of "Rendezvous With Yesterday" as well.

Harry

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Harry-N,

Thanks for the listing. Believe me, I sure ain't looking this "gift horse" in the mouth :D The only thing I wonder about is, if sales #'s for VOL 1 aren't up to expectations, will they release VOL 2? "JeffT" assured me that they will. "Sure hope he's right" :D

"The big question" How will this series sell with the "youngsters" (the ones that didn't grow up with this series)? That'll be interesting to see...

(my definition of a "youngster" is anyone born after us "'Boomers" 1946-1960) :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks