What's new

Time Tunnel series. Old and new. Both would become DVD sets eventually. (1 Viewer)

Tom_mkfty

Stunt Coordinator
Time Tunnel, TheGo For A Spin with Time Tunnel - Volume 1 Artwork!

I will buy both sets, unless altered too much negatively.

http://www.angelfire.com/mn/nn/Time.html
Time Tunnel episode titles
Time Tunnel was one of four major science fiction/fantasy tv series by Irwin Allen in the 1960s (see Lost In Space page). It co-starred James Darren (the night club singer in the final episode of Star Trek Deep Space Nine) and Robert Colbert as Doug. The supporting cast included Lee Meriwether.
With the success of the new Battlestar Galactica, the SciFi Channel has ordered a new series based on The Time Tunnel to air in 2006.

One negative thing about the old series is, Doug and Tony should have gone into the new time frames wearing the clothes from their last time frame, such as Billy The Kid's gun's and jacket. Tony still had them just before he got transfered to the new time.

I hope that happens in the new series.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Interesting....(clothes switch thing)

All I can say is that I never thought to see TT on DVD. I can't wait till Jan 24! This one was a show that Dad and I never missed back in '66 :emoji_thumbsup: When one looks at this show and considers that it was made that long ago, it was an impressive show for its time. (no pun intended :D )

"General, transport me back to Fri night Sept '66" :D

Jeff#

Screenwriter
James Darren actually was in a few episodes of DS9 as the holographic nightclub singer.

It's unfortunate that he is better known for co-starring with William Shatner on T.J. Hooker, but shortly before he joined that series I saw Darren in person in 1982 when he stopped by a video arcade in my hometown of Cherry Hill, New Jersey! The other kids asked for his autograph, but I just walked out of the arcade. I knew him from watching reruns of The Time Tunnel (which aired on Philadelphia station at that time), but I never was one for collecting signatures. James Darren is from Philadelphia, which wasn't far from where I used to live in NJ.

peggy

Stunt Coordinator

I thought this too but I recently recorded them off Encore and I noticed in some of them it showed that right before they were transferred the computer would somehow switch them back into the clothes they went into it wearing. I guess from the few times they did it in the early episodes we were suppose to realize it happens everytime.

What is really sad is that in one of my son's classes in high school they were talking about time travel and how it shown in tv and movies and when he mentioned "The Time Tunnel" and that is starred James Darren, his teacher thought she had heard of it. She is at least my age (45) so she should have heard of it.

Mark_TS

Screenwriter
Couldnt ask for a GOOFIER front cover, nevertheless.

one thing I wish they'd done was have more stories involving the vast TT complex itself -imagine the wonders of exploring THAT huge fortress...;
Instead, after the first couple episodes, it became a 2-shot setup in front of the tunnel, with Tony and Doug visiting Fox-stock footage movie periods-on cheezy sets-including recycled LIS and VOYAGE sets!
Didnt he (IA) think anyone would notice?
At 13 I sure did.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

I think you must mean 1972. TJ HOOKER was an early '70s series, was it not? Besides by 1982, TIME TUNNEL was a distant memory on any Philadelphia TV station.

As I recall, TIME TUNNEL left ABC in the fall of 1967, and was immediately placed in syndication. Our local channel 29 picked up the show and placed it in the 7:00 PM to 7:30 PM time slot, weekdays. Yes, that's right, they scheduled it for a half-hour, weeknights. Thus, they turned 30 hour episodes into 60 half-hour two-part episodes. And the edits weren't pretty, either. Still I watched as many as I could, as the only way to see what had become a TV favorite at the time. They ran it that way for a year or so.

Sometime in the '70s, I recall channel 29 showing full hours of THE TIME TUNNEL on Sunday afternoons, maybe at around 4 PM. I caught a couple of these, but Sunday afternoons were tough.

Though I was aware of the editing together of some episodes for syndicated "movies" in the '80s, I've never actually seen one of these. I don't think any station in Philly ever aired them.

The only opportunity since then that I had to actually videotape the series for my own collection was in the '90s when I finally managed to get a cable system that carried SciFi, at a time when SciFi aired THE TIME TUNNEL. Needless to say, the episodes were chopped to around 45 minutes per episode, but still, after such a long dry spell, they were welcome. In fact, it was just a few months ago that I got around to transferring all of the episodes to DVD, editing out all of the lengthy and repetitive SciFi commercial breaks (GOD! How it gave me pleasure to zap that Psychic woman!)

Having heard the rumors of an upcoming DVD release didn't deter me in my quest to digitize the series to DVD. No in fact, it actually encouraged me to continue at a greater pace. I got a great deal of satisfaction at completing the task, and sure enough, it was less than a month from the time I finished to the official announcement of TIME TUNNEL on DVD.

Happy at the prospect of gold at the end of this long rainbow, I'll eagerly buy up Volume 1 on release day, and anxiously await Volume 2.

Once again, though I face the prospect of being behind the curve again if TIME TUNNEL (2006) should appear on SciFi. I'm once again cable-less, and might be forced to wait for future DVD sets of the updated series. I can only hope that it will be done correctly.

Harry
...70 days to TIME TUNNEL on DVD...

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.

Really? I guess I would have lost THAT bet!

I didn't follow T.J. Hooker at all, so it's somewhat foggy in my memory.

I think I'm clear on airings of THE TIME TUNNEL in Philly though. I had a VHS recorder by 1979, and scoured the TV Guide regularly, so if there were airings of THE TIME TUNNEL, I would have recorded them.

I did get to meet James Darren, though, sometime in the late '80s, early '90s. He came into the radio station I work for to promote his line of Pasta sauce. Several old TIME TUNNEL fans grilled him for stories, and he was gracious enough to answer us, give some autographs, and he even brought us a VHS copy of "The Day The Sky Fell In".

Harry

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I never watched T.J. Hooker either, just couldn't stand the 'dumb as a doorknob' Heather Locklear, and Shatner by this time was so full of himself. Adrian Zmed was the obligatory "pretty boy" addition to the show designed to grab the young female audience. Too bad James Darren was associated with this dreck. Shows like this are why I gave up on episodic tv for good around this time. The last thing I remember watching with any regularity since the '80's was "Knots Landing".

That's great that you got to meet Mr. Darren. I think I would have rather met him over William Shatner (around 1976 I think it was). Darren comes across as a very gracious individual from what I've seen of him in interviews.

michael_ks

Screenwriter
OK, I forgot about "Ray Bradbury Theater", The new "Alfred Hitchcock Presents" and the new "Twilight Zone"--but I digress.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

That would've been nice, albeit impractical. To make the episodes able to be aired in any order (with the appropriate tag edited into the previous week's ep), and to save money by making only one "floating through the tunnel" optical effect to be reused every week, that nasty green turtleneck had to reappear. ;)

michael_ks

Screenwriter
I don't know if this has been brought to light earlier, but Deep Discount DVD has recently listed the bonus material for the TT volume 1 release. I haven't seen this anywhere else, including Amazon. I was hoping for a TT retrospective with Colbert and Darren interviews, but the list of extras is still much better than those provided on the LIS releases.

http://www.deepdiscountdvd.com/dvd.cfm?itemID=FXD032279

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks