time to upgrade

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by Lee S, Dec 22, 2003.

1. Lee S

Lee S Auditioning

Dec 10, 2003
    I am pretty lost in home audio i have always messed with car audio.

i have 1300 budget for fronts,center,sub.

I am looking at a shiva 12" 8ohm sub or i can use one of my 12" dual 2 ohm RE subs from my car.
    I would like to put 300-400 watts to whichever sub i use but i have no clue about home audio amps.
    I would like to spend $300 or less for a sub and amp.I can build the box myself for free.

The only home audio stuff i have heard is at best buy and circuit city out of those i liked the polk RTI12BK but they are to much.

For the fronts and center i can spend $1000.

What brands should i be looking at since i am prettty sure lots of stuff is better and cheaper then what they carry at circuit city and best buy

It will be used for movies/watching sports and gaming i very rarely listen to music if that helps any.My receiver is a Harman Kardon AVR230.

I already have a old jbl 5.1 setup
    G500 fronts
    G cinema Sub, with l/r inputs and outputs for the fronts
    JBL center/rears with no info on them.they are pretty dang old and sound ok at best.

My room isnt really big so i was wondering if i should get bookshelf speakers or stick to floorstanding.

In a few months i will have a 21x14room to put this inand if i buy bookshelf speakers i would most likely move them to the rear and buy new speakers for the front

Anyways sorry if this doesnt make sense i am drugged up and tired trying to get over the flu.
  2. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

Aug 19, 2002
    You're on track in getting out of BB/CC. There are a lot of decent enough brands at the entry level point. I find paradigm is a really strong value in your price range. Try to find a dealer to audition, and audition EVERYTHING else you can also. I just find that this is a good beginning starting point for people, and always a good fall-back value.