What's new

TIME MACHINE getting hacked by Dreamworks because of last week (1 Viewer)

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I think this is wrong. If they want to change the location of where the moon rocks fall, fine. But hacking it out of the picture when it IS a key scene is just nuts. What's next, removing explosions from DIE HARD and burning the negative to THE SEIGE?
Link Removed
------------------
www.deceptions.net/superman

Norm

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Norm
PC Hollywood is getting ridiculous.
------------------
Christopher Reeve Paralysis Foundation
http://apacure.org/

[Edited last by Norm on September 18, 2001 at 03:29 PM]

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
According to an article in todays N.Y Daily News, marketing Chief Terry Press confirmed that, in light of the tragedy, it was decided to re-edit a scene showing moon rocks raining on Manhattan.
"There was no destructon of landmark buildings or anything like that", Press said, "but it's easy to take out".
IMO, I commend Dreamworks for being sensitive to the current situation.
I have no problem with a slight "tweaking" in light of what's happened. To me, It's just not that big a deal.
------------------
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I agree, Tino. This one's a no-brainer, since the film hasn't even been released yet.
M.

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so by doing this now, are they saying that from here on out, there will never be a scene depicting the destruction of buildings and/or explosions? I highly doubt that, so why bother now? Call it sensetivity but where was all this so-called sentiment before the WTC attacks? After Oklahoma City, they still released The Seige and people were able to understand. I know it was a horrible tragedy, but don't sell people short in that every time they see a building blow up, they'll become unglued. I don't think we need to white-wash every instance of the portrayel of New York to move on with life. If anything, these tragedies have proven how powerful and patriotic our nation can become when it really needs to. Hollywood should pay attention to that aspect of it.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Jason Hughes

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jason Hughes
I have no real problem with the scene being cut, but I'm bummed that the movie has been pushed back to February. Oh well, there is much to do in February anyway.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
I don't think anybody is suggesting that there will NEVER again be movies where buildings will be destroyed. Right now people are still traumatized by last week's events, and need time to heal, and postponing movies with this type of subject matter is the right move. Dr. Strangelove's release was delayed and certain things from the film were removed due to the Kennedy assassination. Shouldn't we criticize Kubrick for doing that?

Peter Kline

Senior HTF Member
It's only a film. Editing a scene (not "hacking" as described by Matt) is showing sensativity and common sense. This is real life, what happened to the WTC, not some CGI effect on celluloid. Have we become so used to destruction, killing and mayhem in films that people are desentisized? Certainly it seems to be the case by some of the posts at HTF. GBA.
------------------

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Ok, so by doing this now, are they saying that from here on out, there will never be a scene depicting the destruction of buildings and/or explosions?
No, they're saying that they don't think audiences will presently flock to a piece of escapist fluff if it reminds them of a fresh tragedy that took the lives of thousands of our fellow humans.
But don't worry about that "from here on out" stuff. This will pass. People will soon enough disassociate violent entertainment from actual violence and you'll soon have the normal glut of movies all about people and stuff getting blowed up real good. Betcha can't wait.

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
quote: It's only a film. Editing a scene (not "hacking" as described by Matt) is showing sensativity and common sense. This is real life, what happened to the WTC, not some CGI effect on celluloid. Have we become so used to destruction, killing and mayhem in films that people are desentisized? Certainly it seems to be the case by some of the posts at HTF. GBA.[/quote]
Thanks for the insult, Peter. It's much appreciated. Have YOU read the script for this film? I have and the scene in question is not just a throw away. It's important to the story. So how they can just remove it without creating a problem is beyond me. The film has already been delayed until next year, so I see no reason to remove the scene.
By your reasoning, we should burn the negatives to SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, TITANIC and THE LONGEST DAY. After all, those are films depicting real events and the slaughter and deaths of thousands of real people.
Point is, Hollywood is being PC and interfering with their artists. I'd rather see an untampered with TIME MACHINE than say, a movie like MANIAC, which is a gruesome kill-fest.
------------------
[Edited last by Matt_Stevens on September 20, 2001 at 09:47 AM]

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I haven't read the script or anything, but the exterior photography was filmed locally so I've been following the project. I know in the George Pal film, as he travelled through time, he made several stops. One was during (I believe) WWII, and he had to hit the lever forward as a bombing raid beseiged London. If this moon scene is a similiar senario, then it is indeed important to the movie, and should not be removed based on the trajedy of the present. GBA.
------------------
My DVD Collection
My Preorders
My Wishlist

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Matt, if it will make you feel any better, this is exactly what dvd is for! You WILL eventually get to see your deleted scene
laugh.gif
along with all the other deleted scenes that didn't make it. Get a life dude, the movie hasn't even been released yet.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
quote: By your reasoning, we should burn the negatives to SAVING PRIVATE RYAN, TITANIC and THE LONGEST DAY. After all, those are films depicting real events and the slaughter and deaths of thousands of real people.[/quote]
Matt, you're overreacting. Nobody is suggesting banning disater type films permenently. Only that filmmakers are showing discrection and sensitivity right now (and rightfully so.)
[Edited last by Richard Kim on September 21, 2001 at 08:05 AM]

Matt_Stevens

Supporting Actor
I'm not overreacting. Hollywood is.
frown.gif

Matt, if it will make you feel any better, this is exactly what dvd is for! You WILL eventually get to see your deleted scene
That is quite possible.
I should point out I think it's a good idea to delay AHNOLD's latest film. And December is a better month to release any film, so if it's good, I hope it does well.
------------------

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
Answer me this, how can one complain about the deletion of a couple of snippets of film from a film that they havn't even seen yet, therfore, how exactly do you know what's missing when you DO see it? I can understand if it's a film that is well known and you've seen it a million times and know every frame of it, then you'd know what's missing.
BTW, why kid ourselves, in addition to the terrible event's of September 11th, make no mistake, it will also be known as the day that officialy killed the action movie genre, at least for the foreseeable future. Witch is perhaps not nesassarilly a bad thing, at the very least it will force Hollywood to stop turning out the mindless crap they've been recycling ever since Die Hard, and make some new action films that are daring and different than what were used to.
------------------
patriot.gif
God bless the USA and the men and woman of our military and their families!
patriot.gif

[Edited last by John Williamson on September 22, 2001 at 02:25 AM]

Brad_W

Screenwriter
I personally think this is a bad way to go. I mean they made Tora!Tora!Tora! and that was about our national tragedy and Pearl Harbor of recent (btw a TITANIC ripp-off in the sense that James Cameron made a lot of money on a movie of a romance in the midst of a historical disaster, so why shouldn't Jerry Bruckheimer/Micheal Bay: = lame [sorry for the sudden off-topic oppinion]. I also loved the Spider-man preview and got the chance to see it twice before it was pulled. This is just going to get ridiculous. Just like how "Collateral Damage" is pulled indefinately due to it's nature. Collateral damage meaning civillian death/casualties. The Arnold Schwarzenagger film about a terrorist bombing. Yes, I can see that being pulled for it's October release, but indefinately???
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
Um, what you fail to mention is that Tora Tora Tora was made and released, what, 21 or 22 years after the real event occured? Dude, wake up. Time will pass as mentioned above and soon enough, you'll get your share of terrorism in the movies. Frankly, the glamorization of terrorism in films is something none of us really need IMO.

Brad_W

Screenwriter
my point was that tora tora tora WAS made, regardless of time and how people feel about feel about the bombing of pearl harbor. Remember when all those people got in an uproar about Saving Private Ryan? The same ideology. People shouldn't cut, edit, or delete just because of trivial times. I agree people will move on and things will be back to normal, but to edit a film now even though it will be released next year is kinda lame. But, that's just my oppinion.
------------------
"I was born to murder the world." -Nix (Lord of Illusions)
My Home Page http://www.geocities.com/masternix/DVD.html

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks