What's new

Time/Life Press Release: The Carol Burnett Show: The Ultimate Collection (1 Viewer)

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
FanCollector said:
My intention is to slap the label on the box and wish it well.
I know there have been management changes there, but did they just fire everyone who worked on the extraordinarily good Get Smart set?
Exact same people actually. I have no answer.

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
chadHobbick said:
So what does everyone think they will do to correct this error? Re-author new discs w/the complete episodes or just give a partial refund to customers or a coupon for a future order? In the end I guess it's their 30-day guarantee to return the item back if not happy that they can legally stand by.
reauthor and make-good. I posted in the other thread about getting a make-good but basically it's a call for replacement free of charge. no way in he-double hockey sticks would we try to offer future coupons / discounts and leave this as is.
the slower speed on this vs. things like possible retail configurations is that 100% needed to see the fix in hand before making a bad promise.

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
David Rain said:
Does anyone know how long it takes before Time-Life lowers the price on any of their online releases ? Or do they ever discount their titles at all? Might be better to wait and get this compromised set once the price has gone down, if it ever does.
We will wait to see flagging demand, and react then so the timing is variable. I'd expect this to be strong through the holidays, so perhaps next year. We DO have an online guy (me) who will offer coupons and discounts periodically to the email or Facebook lists. Black Friday / Cyber Monday coming soon (tgiving). Anything in the Rocktober sale series that is an across-the-board discount can be applied (meaning some discounts are product specific only).

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
Brent S said:
"This mess" is a corporate issue, not an individual one. I hope your friend isn't the only one held responsible. Yes, there should be a point-person with overall responsibility. But there are development/legal, production, quality, marketing and sales departments involved to get your products to market. Each department should follow-through, not hand-off. Many in the "chain of command" should have been available to step forward and say... "Hey, our product falls short of our marketing!"
Bottom line, a prominent product from your company was misrepresented to the consumer.
Regardless how large your corporate structure is, I'd guess that at least 1/3 of the Carol Burnett project-team is hands-on responsible. Another 1/3 probably falls into the "shame on you for not speaking up" category. The remaining 1/3 in customer service and distribution are dealing with complaints and returns, in good faith and probably clueless about the consumer complaints creating the backlash they're dealing with.
This was not the fault of just 1 dressed down person.
I've done a lot of business with Time-Life in the past. After these THE CAROL BURNETT SHOW editing issues, I'm inclined to say "Never again."
Never again.
Fair enough. The point person is not going away as he is the producer on these projects. But given the pre-sale timing, we're putting up the sales and pages before any product was available so I can assure there is no intentional misleading or 1/3 who knew but didn't speak. This came down to one person reviewing masters and not noticing the cut episode, and by the time it's in everybody's hands it's too late. Not excuse but explanation. I do appreciate your candor.

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
NY2LA said:
I think it's more like a clearance sale after the title has run its course and they're overstocked. In this case, since we're talking about a longterm contract and only a few episodes have been released, I wouldn't hold my breath for deep discounts, just a variety of configurations.
correct

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
the slower speed on this vs. things like possible retail configurations is that 100% needed to see the fix in hand before making a bad promise.
You mean you wanted to wait until you were sure what kind of fix was actually happening before talking about it?

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
NY2LA said:
You mean you wanted to wait until you were sure what kind of fix was actually happening before talking about it?
correct -- and i also wanted it to not be a promise but be done and in warehouse so i could be sure of all points.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
correct -- and i also wanted it to not be a promise but be done and in warehouse so i could be sure of all points.
so I was pretty much on the nose about that and that they would not fix anything beyond that one disc.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
timelife jb said:
Reps who do this get fired immediately. If there's any details you can PM me, and we'll handle. There's no such thing as "has to go through corporate."
Not sure what you mean by this, but there are a number of us who have been told our case was "referred to corporate" which as far as I can see is like being sent to see "the Wizard" or being told "we'll look into it." Real world translation: "good night and good luck." I went as far as to inquire who this corporate person was, and was told it was a Wolf in Colorado. Did you even know there WAS a Wolf in Colorado?

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
I should clarify - sometimes we need to authorize something and there is a call in to our office here. But if a rep uses corporate as an excuse not to provide something that is actually available, then we let them go. I don't know any Wolf here, but there is a call center acct team in Colorado.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
i think the entire message John responded to was this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FanCollector:
I trust John's intentions too, but he must be awfully lonely over at Time Life. I have been enjoying the set in spite of my disappointment about the edited episodes. When it arrived, however, it was missing the commemorative book.
I called customer service and was told that a book would be sent out by the next morning and arrive in seven to ten days.
The operator then tried to sell me a Lucy set and The Six Million Dollar Man.
Fifteen days later, I called to say I had not received the book. I was told that the replacement order had to go through the corporate office, so they had the request on file, but had not sent it yet and had no idea when they would.
I wrote an email to customer service describing the situation and asking if someone could tell me when they would ship the book. No answer.
Four days later, I sent a second email. The next day, I received an answer and was told the book had been shipped.
The book arrived today. It's very nice.
In the shipment were copies of 11 of the DVDs from the set.
Assuming these were sent to make up for the experience with the replacement book, I sent a thank you note to customer service for their gracious gesture, suggesting that I could give the additional sets as gifts to other fans who might then buy the big set.
I received a reply less than an hour later telling me the discs were sent in error and I need to take them to the post office and send them back.
At least no one tried to sell me another Lucy set...
Answer from NY2LA:
OMFG!
You do know the rule is that if someone sends you something you didn't order it's yours. Might want to look into that. You could also ask John, who won't be happy to hear how his company is working.
Think they might be overstocked on Lucy and 6 Million Man?
end quotes
John, should he keep the discs he was sent or not?

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
NY2LA said:
i think the entire message John responded to was this:
Quote:
I trust John's intentions too, but he must be awfully lonely over at Time Life. I have been enjoying the set in spite of my disappointment about the edited episodes. When it arrived, however, it was missing the commemorative book. I called customer service and was told that a book would be sent out by the next morning and arrive in seven to ten days. The operator then tried to sell me a Lucy set and The Six Million Dollar Man.
Fifteen days later, I called to say I had not received the book. I was told that the replacement order had to go through the corporate office, so they had the request on file, but had not sent it yet and had no idea when they would. The operator then tried to sell me a Lucy set and The Six Million Dollar Man.
I wrote an email to customer service describing the situation and asking if someone could tell me when they would ship the book. No answer. Four days later, I sent a second email. The next day, I received an answer and was told the book had been shipped.
The book arrived today. It's very nice. In the shipment were copies of 11 of the DVDs from the set. Assuming these were sent to make up for the experience with the replacement book, I sent a thank you note to customer service for their gracious gesture, suggesting that I could give the additional sets as gifts to other fans who might then buy the big set.
I received a reply less than an hour later telling me the discs were sent in error and I need to take them to the post office and send them back.
Answer from NY2LA:
OMFG!
You do know the rule is that if someone sends you something you didn't order it's yours. Might want to look into that. You could also ask John, who won't be happy to hear how his company is working.
Think they might be overstocked on Lucy and 6 Million Man?
end quotes
John, should he keep the discs he was sent or not?
Let me put Fan Collector directly in touch with someone here. FC, could you shoot me a PM with contact details?
Thx

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Just laying out this scenario point by point for examination...
Quote:
I called customer service and was told that a book would be sent out by the next morning and arrive in seven to ten days.
Fifteen days later, I called to say I had not received the book.
I was told that the replacement order had to go through the corporate office,
so they had the request on file, but had not sent it yet and had no idea when they would.
I wrote an email to customer service describing the situation and asking if someone could tell me when they would ship the book.
No answer.
Four days later, I sent a second email.
The next day, I received an answer and was told the book had been shipped.
In the shipment were copies of 11 of the DVDs from the set.
Assuming these were sent to make up for the experience with the replacement book, I sent a thank you note to customer service for their gracious gesture, suggesting that I could give the additional sets as gifts to other fans who might then buy the big set.
End Quote.
So we have the issue of his being told one thing (it was being shipped) then told another (it had to go through corporate.)
No response after being promised followups.
Another issue that he was repeatedly given two upsell attempts when he called about an unresolved problem.
Third issue is being told he must make the effort to return something he never asked for in the first place.

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
FanCollector said:
They are sending a post-paid mailing label, so I will not have to pay the return shipping. Even I would draw the line there!
FC:
It's yours.
Speak kindly of us as much as you can.
: )
Time Life Customer Service email said:
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2012 11:37:16 -0400
To: JB
Subject: RE: Help for a Carol customer?
UGH….Looks like the rep sent him a pre-paid label so he could send the mis-ship back at no cost but it seems there was some miscommunication there.
If you want to let him keep it that’s fine. He won’t get charged for the extra set either way.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Thanks so very much! I was planning to use the extra sets as gifts, so I will be advertising for you guys in more ways than one.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dean-Martin-Deans-Ultimate-Collection/17633
I noticed in the press release for a Dean Martin Variety Show Ultimate Collection that Time/Life is putting out at the end of thjs month there is no mention of complete or uncut episodes. Just says 48 episodes with many musical numbers. I guess they learned from the Carol Burnett release.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Garysb said:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Dean-Martin-Deans-Ultimate-Collection/17633
I noticed in the press release for a Dean Martin Variety Show Ultimate Collection that Time/Life is putting out at the end of thjs month there is no mention of complete or uncut episodes. Just says 48 episodes with many musical numbers. I guess they learned from the Carol Burnett release.
Maybe all those were cut in some way. I'd say better evidence would be the removal of the "uncut" etc. references from the Carol Burnett commercials and web listings. I haven't checked that lately.
I wonder how the overall retail and direct sales are doing. Hopefully it is encouraging enough for us to get more episodes in a (hopefully) better thought out configuration in a few months.

Zukeeper416

Auditioning
Real Name
Sandee
Hello, new here...
I ordered my Ultimate Carol set a couple of weeks ago, very excited - like you, I've waiting many years for a comprehensive release. Boy, do I wish I had seen this thread before I placed my order. I have not yet received the set, and I'm nervous about those cut episodes. Had I known, I would not have ordered the set. It does sound like something might be in the works to fix the issue, however. Or is that just wishful thinking? Has a second run of the DVDs been reauthored yet?
John at TL indicated that would be the right thing to do, rather than simply offer a discount on future purchase. Any update?

timelife jb

Insider
Real Name
John
Zukeeper416 said:
Hello, new here...
I ordered my Ultimate Carol set a couple of weeks ago, very excited - like you, I've waiting many years for a comprehensive release. Boy, do I wish I had seen this thread before I placed my order. I have not yet received the set, and I'm nervous about those cut episodes. Had I known, I would not have ordered the set. It does sound like something might be in the works to fix the issue, however. Or is that just wishful thinking? Has a second run of the DVDs been reauthored yet?
John at TL indicated that would be the right thing to do, rather than simply offer a discount on future purchase. Any update?
There were a couple of very short but not insignificant songs we could not clear despite aggressive offers to the copyright holders. Music clearances can be tricky as you may have multiple ownership rights to negotiate. For example, as odd as it seems, the owner of the "Into the wild blue yonder" simply would not allow the song (sung by Carol for just a second or two in the No Frills sketch where she asks Tim Conway if he'd like some music while handing out earphones) to be used.
There was a finale with Sammy Davis that errantly was dropped but we have gone back in, re-cleared and re-manufactured so your set will be as complete as possible given today's music clearances, based on ordering your set recently.
If you're a collector, those few 2-3 second songs may be meaningful. To me and me alone, who didn't have the CH set or any others prior, I think it's a great set and I am enjoying it with my daughter who is learning how much of a genius Tim Conway in particular is. I realize my position in saying this but I honestly feel this way. Hopefully the board can vouch for my transparency here.
The fix was a remanufactured and re-delivered disc at our cost sent if you wanted replacement. We didn't want to do anything like a discount to a future product. We thought there may not be any redemptions on that if we disappointed the market. :) We feel we made some errors of aggression in releasing quickly, but now the set is a really good set. Others here may feel differently, though I think the biggest issue was how we sold it.
You absolutely can cancel the order or return the merch, tho.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.