What's new

Time for New TV & Super Confused....HELP! (1 Viewer)

Ron R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald Rodriguez
I have a 48" RP Sony in my den and have enjoyed it for several years. We have DirectV and use Tivo/DVR and watch DVD movies....no real gaming. My den receives alot of natural light (wife and I hate curtains) so reflection is an issue. My viewing distance from tv to sofa is approx 14-15 feet. The wall can accomodate a large tv and this one has to last me a while. I want 1080, the biggest/best LCD or 60-65" plasma.

The negatives I have for plasma are my room lighting issues, burning effects and higher cost. I get excited everytime I see the Pioneer Elites over at Tweeter here in Houston.

The negative I see for LCD is size. Is 40-45" the max on these units?

Brand-wise I'd be looking at Sony, Pioneer, LG and Mitsubishi.

I'll be visiting my local Tweeter soon. Been to CC this week and got confused with all the types of sets.

Help me pls.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
There are 57 inch and 65 inch LCD by Sharp, but they cost 14,000 & 19,000. So, unless you are prepared to drop the price of a car on one of those you are going to have to make some compromise, such as SXRD/LCoS or DLP, or window coverings.

Ron R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald Rodriguez
Arthur,

WOW!!!! That's alot of $$$$$$. I bought my wife a Mustang convertible last X-Mas.......maybe I can get a big TV. LOL Seriously, when we visited CC this week she was ready to pluck down almost $4k on a big Sony RP set.

What is SXRD/LCoS? DLP? Is SXRD a rear projection? I've read a few posts and saw a 60" 1080p SXRD Sony ($3,150) discussed?

I already get a reflection off the windows on my 48" Sony RP and sometimes I don't even notice it. The set sits flush inside an entertainment center cabinet. If I were to get a wall-mounted set, that would set a good 24" inside the center and would help deflect some of this light. Also, most of our viewing is done at night with low lights. Could a plasma work well with these conditions?

Thank you for your help.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
A plasma display tends to run pretty warm so you'll want to be sure you have good ventillation all around in you entertainment center.

If you watch in mostly dim light, the plasma will work fine. That said, a 42" display at 14+ feet viewing distance is going to seem kinda small. (Believe me, they all shrink when you get them home after a short while)

Mort

Ron R.

Auditioning
Real Name
Ronald Rodriguez
Thank you for your replies. I did some measuring last evening and the distance from my sofa to the wall is actually 12 feet, if this helps.

My entertainment center is (2) 7' cabinets with a top (with small light) and shelf that sits above my Sony RP set. The back is completely open so heat generated by any set would be dispersed easily.

The space between the 2 column cabinets is 61" right now. This can be expanded another 12"-14".

What should be the minimum size screen for this 12 foot distance.....50"? Will a set this size or larger fit inside my current 61" space?

Then I guess this brings RP into consideration. Are there good 1080p RP sets out there you can recommend?

Lastly, to compare apples to apples, what plasma sets at 50" have the best picture for the money? I keep hearing Samsung. What about LG or others?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks