What's new

Time Bandits 2-disc SE in 2004 (1 Viewer)

Nick Laslett

Stunt Coordinator
The UK release does not have subtitles, but it is anamorphic and includes the Criterion commentary and the interviews with Palin & Gilliam.

The UK release of Brazil is also anamorphic, it is the European Cut, which is extremely similar to the Criterion director's cut.

Haden

Supporting Actor
Yawn....

While some may be enthused about this new release of Time Bandits (obviously for the anamorphic transfer), I'm not all that excited. We already got a decent Criterion special edition, so what was the point of a new 2-disc release other than doing an anamorphic transfer? I'd much rather get a special edition of Baron Munchausen, preferrably from Criterion, to complete Gilliam's "Dream Trilogy" in my DVD collection. When will THAT ever happen?

paul_austin

Second Unit
always good to hear of Gilliam special editions....still waiting for Munchausen DVD to rival my old criterion LD.

Jeff Shynky

Auditioning
I just bought the Criterion on Ebay for 38 Cdn, which I guess isn't bad, after shipping... now im going to have to get the SE when it comes out, if the picture/audio is alot better that is! grrr i dont like double dipping.. but maybe it'll be worth it.. :)

Coressel

Supporting Actor
I'd much rather get a special edition of Baron Munchausen, preferrably from Criterion, to complete Gilliam's "Dream Trilogy" in my DVD collection. When will THAT ever happen?
That's exactly what I was thinking. I have no problem with my Criterion DVD of Time Bandits. Why go to the trouble of doing this when we still just have the bare bones editions of Munchausen and The Fisher King. I've avoided buying those two in hopes that special editions of each would come out sometime.

By the way, another Gilliam masterpiece is on DVD as of this week: THE CRIMSON PERMANANT ASSURANCE!

:D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
The PQ of that Criterion disc is HORRIBLE...especially magnified on a large-size 16x9 set.

Extras Smectras...if the image doesn't look remotely film-like (as is the case here) what's the point of watching the movie?

In any case...keep the Criterion for all the loving extras and then get the new disc when it comes out for the new 16x9 transfer. Best of both worlds...and you're still paying less than you would have for any $$ laserdisc.

Coressel

Supporting Actor
The PQ of that Criterion disc is HORRIBLE...especially magnified on a large-size 16x9 set.
I don't have a huge screen yet, but it looks good on my 32 inch Panasonic. Maybe when I upgrade I'll notice what those who don't like the Criterion transfer are talking about.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
It doesn't appear to. Here's what's listed at DVDEmpire:

Features:
The Directors: The films of Terry Gillian-A career retrospective featuring interviews with director Terry Gilliam and actors Shelley Duvall, Brad Pitt, Amanda Plummer, Mercedes Ruehl, Madeleine Stowe, and David Warner.
Interview with Terry Gilliam and Michael Palin
Theatrical Trailers
Fold-out Map of the Universe and Liner Notes
Terry Gilliam Bio
DVD-Rom: Original Screenplay

Video: Widescreen 1.85:1 Color (Anamorphic)

Audio: ENGLISH: Dolby Digital 5.1 [CC]

DouglasBr

Stunt Coordinator
Cripes, you'd think it would have at least what the R2 Anchor Bay version has (it does have the map, but without the commentaries it's a sad invitation to double-dip). I just hope the DVDEmpire listing is incomplete.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Just give me a R1 version with PQ that I can actually stand to watch and I'll be happy...

:D

p.s. extras would be nice too!

Jon Robertson

Screenwriter
Seems like the R2 edition is the one to get.

That one has an anamorphic transfer, the Criterion commentary & scrapbook, the trailer, the original treatment, plenty of storyboards (including for a missing scene), a new video interview with Terry Gilliam & Michael Palin AND (best of all) a fold-out insert of The Map of the Universe (the one the dwarves use)!

The 5.1 remix is a bit dodgy and goes out-of-sync on the UK disc, but the original stereo is available too and sounds great (no sync issues either).

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Just give me a R1 version with PQ that I can actually stand to watch and I'll be happy...
Amen to that. The Anchor Bay version was one of the first DVD's I picked up. I watched it once... and it's been setting on my shelf ever since. Looks like it may be time to unload it at a resale shop.

Has anyone given a window when it may be released?

Michael Harris

Screenwriter
If I am not mistaken, a lot of Criterion product is not officially available outside of region 1 due to the terms of their getting the rights to a film. If that is the case, then it would make sense for them to license their supplements for other region releases.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks