Time Bandits 2-disc SE in 2004

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Matt Pelham, Sep 2, 2003.

1. Matt Pelham

Matt Pelham Screenwriter

From Anchor Bay's website:

Doesn't mention if it will contain the Criterion commentary or not.

2. PaulP

PaulP Producer

3. Peter Mazur

Peter Mazur Second Unit

All Right!!!

I have been waiting to get this but wanted an anamorphic version. I can't wait.

4. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

ANYTHING is better than the piece of $##!&%# 4x3 lbx transfer on both the anchor bay and criterion DVD we have now!!!!

Good news [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Robert Anthony

Robert Anthony Producer

What's up with Criterion licensing out their old commentaries? I thought for sure I'd read somewhere that Criterion simply DOES NOT license out those old commentaries for anything. But the Halloween release (that I didn't buy, I still have that 2 disc limited edition) has a criterion commentary, chances are this might have it--is Criterion hurting for money or something, to the point where they're now selling off their commentaries? On the one hand, I'm happy, because I'd love to get a Raging Bull SE with that Criterion commentary on it, or any number of commentaries that are buried on LD that might not see DVD light of day otherwise, but on the other hand I'm worried that Criterion might be licensing these commentaries out because they're hurting for cash.

6. Gary->dee

Gary->dee Screenwriter

I've loved this movie ever since I saw it in the theater when it first came out but I'm still not sure I'd want to double dip. I have the Anchor Bay version and I'd have to really see what this 2 discer has(reviews and such) before I get it.

7. Paul_Stachniak

Paul_Stachniak Screenwriter

I'll buy it for the anamorphic transfer alone. I'm glad I've been holding out for this one.

8. Beast

Beast Second Unit

They've been licensing them lately, in exchange for film release rights for several titles from those particular companies. Atleast that's what happened in the case of the Commentary for the 'Monty Python and the Holy Grail' 2-disc set. [​IMG]

9. PaulP

PaulP Producer

I hope AB has indeed managed to get the track from Criterion. I've held out and haven't bought Criterion's non-anamorphic disc, and this 2-disc SE I'll HAVE to buy, because Gilliam is one of my favorite directors. Need that commentary though!

10. Donnie Eldridge

Donnie Eldridge Supporting Actor

This is great news ![​IMG]

11. Mark_vdH

Mark_vdH Screenwriter

Criterion already licensed their commentary of Time Bandits to Anchor Bay UK BTW.

12. Mark Cappelletty

Mark Cappelletty Cinematographer

But it's not like the Criterion Time Bandits is OOP or anything. The Criterion LD for Halloween was the only place you could find the Carpenter commentary until the recent Anchor Bay "DiviMax" DVD, but you can find Time Bandits rather readily anywhere.

13. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

14. ShaunS

ShaunS Stunt Coordinator

While I've never seen the film, I am a pretty big fan of Gilliam. Criterion's Brazil is one of the greatest sets ever produced (right up there with LOTR EE). His commentaries are always just as entertaining as his movies. I just picked up the CC version of Fear & Loathing in Las Vegas and was never a big fan of the film until I heard Gilliam's commentary on it. He has this infectious laugh that always cracks me up. I would pick it up only if it has a commentary.

Shaun

15. Magnus T

Magnus T Supporting Actor

Great news indeed. Now bring on an anamorphic version of Brazil as well! [​IMG]

16. Mark Bendiksen

Mark Bendiksen Screenwriter

17. Craig Robertson

Craig Robertson Supporting Actor

18. Estevan Lapena

Estevan Lapena Stunt Coordinator

One of the funniest commentaries EVER with Hunter S. Thompson. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I too have held out long enough because I couldn't justify getting a non-anamorphic version of Time Bandits for 70 Bucks CAD. CANT WAIT!
    Hopefully Anchor Bay won’t mess this one up!

19. Thomas Agermose

Thomas Agermose Stunt Coordinator

Anchor Bay UK released it with the criterion commentary, 16x9 transfer and some additional extras. Hopefully the new 2 disk set will have all that plus the new doc.

20. Jerome

Jerome Second Unit