Timbre matched center for 1970's EPI?

Discussion in 'Speakers' started by NickSI, Jul 23, 2012.

1. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Hello all,
    My current setup is EPI 90s as mains, A Klipsch kt-LCR (http://www.klipsch.com/kt-lcr), an rears are little Klipsch satellites from a defunct Promedia 2.1 set.
    They are run through a Denon 1612 with my PS3 as my main source.
    Now i don't feel that the LCR matches the EPIs at all. what can you recommend as a brand that would timbre match those speakers? I would also prefer a smaller center channel than the LCR which is just huge.
    Thanks in advance
    Nick

2. NickSI

NickSI Stunt Coordinator

Have I truly stumped the community???
    Ok here is what I have come up with. There is a company called HUMAN speakers (started by a guy who worked for Genesis I believe which shared many parts with EPI/Epicure) He makes a center channel but its $450 and the net cost of all my current speakers is ~$70 I'll have to bow out of that.
    Now here is some fuzzy logic for you. Boston Acoustics also used to share parts with Genesis and EPI if I am not mistaken. This was back in the 70s but could it be possible that the more modern Boston Acoustics could be a timbre match?
    My next step is to approach a speaker store with this problem and ask if i can bring my speakers in and test them with the center channels they have in stock. Seems like that would be too great a burden for any store.
    HELP!!!!

3. Jason Charlton

Jason Charlton Ambassador

Jason Charlton
    Sorry I can't offer much help, other than to state the obvious - consider getting a new front three. Keep the older speakers if you love them for music listening.

Trying to timbre match speakers is a crap shoot - only you will know if something is an improvement and whether or not the improvement is enough.

No big-box retailer will let you bring your own speakers in, but some boutique audio shops might - or they may let you borrow a center to take home - that's what a local shop did for me when I was shopping for new speakers - I loaded some towers and took them home for a few hours to listen in my environment.

Of course, it's a bit of a touchy issue if the guy lets you do all that, and then you DON'T buy from him...

Good luck - I hope you find what you're looking for.