What's new

Tim Burton's Alice in Wonderland (1 Viewer)

Brian Borst

Screenwriter
I thought that was already known. I have never read any of the books (just seen the Disney film, and that's probably not the truest adaptation out there) but a simple adaptation sounds a bit boring. Everything being shuffled around could be better for the movie. And I'm really psyched that Crispin Glover is in this. He's always great.

Brian D H

Second Unit

Hard to say since it hasn't been done. The main things to know about the books are:

1) The books were meant to be read one chapter at a time, with each one being it's own self-contained mini-encounter for Alice. This aspect does not work well on film and most versions have tried (most unsuccessfully) to create a cohesive story.

2) The first book attempts to unify the chapters with an overall theme of playing cards throughout the book. This theme is done throughout, but not consistently and doesn't really come to the forefront until the climax at the end with the Queen of Hearts.

3) The second book uses a Chess theme which is (IMO) much more successful. Each chapter represents one specific move on a particular game of chess (the entire game and all moves are detailed in the appendix). Alice is not aware of this fact at first, but hints are given by the characters she encounters and the fact that the entire landscape looks like a chessboard (each square is about a half mile across or so). Alice starts out as a pawn and is eventually promoted to a queen. Since every chapter is part of the same chess game, the book feels much more unified, while maintaining the same set-up of individual mini-encounters. You can see why I was much more interested in a focus on the second book's theme.

I could envision a chess themed movie with favorite encounters from the first book added on without hurting the narrative. Unfortunately, as soon as you have any card-themed characters, it pretty much ruins that idea. I am worried that it will (once again) feel like a bunch of disconnected individual encounters.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
At first I thought this was American McGee's Alice, which I keep thinking would be an interesting potential story. But so far, no one has managed that kind of adaptation worth a damn.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
The 1985 mini-series kept the two stories separate. Night one was Alice in Wonderland and Night two was Through the Looking Glass. I thought it was the most faithful adaptation to date. Sure it is '80's with a very '80's television cast but it still works.

Brian D H

Second Unit

God, I hope not. If you don't at least have a nod to the character designs from the original Tenniel illustrations than it's just not Wonderland. Sorry.

... OK, I guess they have a nod in the costume. But the face is NOTHING like the illustration. Where's the nose, the teeth? What's with the makeup?

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
My PC can't even adequately run Half-Life 2. :frowning: I've not even attempted any of the new games for a few years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks