What's new

Tim Burton to direct Willy Wonka remake for WB (2 Viewers)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
must be in the minority but I was looking forward to the POTA retelling because I hoped he would stick to the source material. Unfortunately as others have mentioned he didn't so I came away with a "why bother" reaction to the movie.
Here's a second vote for that hope

*sigh*

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
A couple of years ago burton was rumored to be doing the remake of wonka and his choice back then was marilyn manson for wonka. I wonder if that will still happen. I kinda like the idea of johnny depp that was mentioned in this thread.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
The Manson thing was just a rumor. No truth to it.

As for the Oompa Loompas, get a copy of the original book (with the Schindleman illustrations) and tell me that they aren't Pygmies. I'll have to find my old copy to look at the text. Can't stand the new illustrations.

Guy_K

Second Unit
Why doesn't Burton try adapting another Dahl book? I want to see something I've never seen before on the silver screen.

Michael Martin

Screenwriter
As for the Oompa Loompas, get a copy of the original book (with the Schindleman illustrations) and tell me that they aren't Pygmies.
OK - they aren't pygmies! :laugh:

But seriously...first, I am not going to use the illustrations as a guide, because they weren't done by Dahl and may not have even been approved by him. The guide should be the text, and I don't think that there is anything in the text to assign race or racial similarities to them.

Also, the illustrations depict the Oompa Loompas as having LONG curly hair, not short curly hair - distinctly un-pygmy-like! The illustrations seem also to show them wearing togas, so that they appear to be long-haired miniature Greeks!

Sean*O

Second Unit
I think that Nic Cage would make the best Wonka.. But that could be just because I am so used to Gene Wilder as Wonka in the original.

If you have seen Nic Cage in 'Adaptation', then you will see the resemblance between that Cage and the Wilder Wonka.

Depp could make a good Wonka.. But Tim Burton to direct? Enough already with him, in my opinion.

Does anyone else think this would make for a disastrous clash of styles?

I can just imagine Tim Burton's candy forest.. Filled with dark and dreary colors.. and sinister looking treats. And the factory will probably resemble Dracula's castle.

:rolleyes

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
The Manson thing was started by Manson saying in an interview that he'd play the part free. AFAIK, no one at the studio ever actually wanted him to do it. He just volunteered.

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Maybe the studio's thinking is do the remake first and if it is somewhat successful they could follow that up with a sequel. but who know's only time will tell i guess.

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
I saw Wonka in theaters, I own the DVD, I think it has a lot of wonderful segments.
It's also slow as a glacier for the first 40 minutes or so and the kid is so cute I just want to slap him.
Tim should have a go at it.

Jim

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Scott,

Deepest apologies....I thoughtlessly posted in your thread and, killed it. That was not my intent. It's just a curse. :b

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I am growing bored with Tim Burton and his unoriginality and remakes...the man has had what...2 movies that are his...Batman...Sleepy Hollow...POTA...PeeWee...etc...are all based on previous source material...Burton is a great visualist...but nothing more...a hack...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Jennifer Aniston and Brad Pitt are bringing a new version of Roald Dahl's classic novel Charlie And The Chocolate Factory to movie screens. The Hollywood couple will serve as producers of the Warner Bros. film through their company Plan B - the newly formed partnership of Aniston, Pitt, Brad Grey and Michael Siegel, who manages the interests of the Dahl estate. Meanwhile, Planet Of The Apes director Tim Burton is in talks to helm the production. Although the film-maker has yet to sign a deal, the Dahl estate has already approved Burton as the director they wanted most. In the next few days, he will meet with the family in London, where he's putting the finishing touches to the movie Big Fish. Signing Burton will cap a long campaign to get the film under way with the blessing of the Dahl estate, which was reluctant to make a deal because the author didn't like the first screen adaptation - 1971's Gene Wilder flick Willy Wonka And The Chocolate Factory.
From the IMDb Celebrity News, 23 May 2003.

I was interested to learn that Dahl didn't like the original film. As I said before, I thought the spirit of Dahl seemed absent from the first film, and it seems he agreed.

According to the IMDb, David Seltzer did some uncredited work on the screenplay for Willy Wonka, which was credited solely of Roald Dahl. Could it be Seltzer made some dramatic changes to the script, enough to completely destroy Dahl's work?

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
was interested to learn that Dahl didn't like the original film. As I said before, I thought the spirit of Dahl seemed absent from the first film, and it seems he agreed. According to the IMDb, David Seltzer did some uncredited work on the screenplay for Willy Wonka, which was credited solely of Roald Dahl. Could it be Seltzer made some dramatic changes to the script, enough to completely destroy Dahl's work?
Quite possibly, I'd be VERY interested to know how much of Dahl's script remained. My guess is that took out all of the more sophisticated and dark twists and song lyrics and replaced it with crap like "Oompa loompa doobadie doo"

Sean*O

Second Unit
yippie,

(not trying to be rude about your posting that news Bert, just not thrilled about Burton doing Wonka)

BertFalasco

Supporting Actor
I can understand your perspective, I bought the first SE of Burton's PotA, I liked the ending but a lot of people did not, hopefully Tim can redeem his reputation.

I mean c'mon, Nightmare Before Christmas was awesomly amazing.

"he will oversee a stop-motion animation feature called The Corpse Bride."

2 chances. Actually 3, he has a film being released later this year, Big Fish.

-Bert

Marvin Richardson

Supporting Actor
...Burton is a great visualist...but nothing more...a hack...
I don't think that anyone who directed a masterpiece like Ed Wood could ever be called a "hack", even if it was the only thing he/she ever produced. Back that up with Edward Scissorhands, The Nightmare Before Christmas (which he wrote the story and came up with the characters for), Beetlejuice, Batman and Sleepy Hollow and you've got a great director.
Now if you want to talk about hacks...:D

GregH

Agent
I'm thinking some people here need to read a book! I love Willy Wonka the movie, but I like Roald Dahl too and it'd be great to see a realization of the actual source material. In regards to another poster I'd love to see a "remake" of the Wizard of Oz in the vein of Return to Oz that follows the book. I thought something was wrong when I read the book and she had silver shoes instead of ruby ones. Not to mention she ends up in a town where everyone is made of porcelain which is distinctly Baum, unlike the musical version. I'm not saying Return to Oz is perfect, but it tries to stick with the flavor of the 2nd and 3rd book which it's adapted from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks