Tim Burton to direct Willy Wonka remake for WB

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Scott Weinberg, May 21, 2003.

1. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Got this news from Variety .

This news surprise ANYONE?

2. MatS

MatS Screenwriter

nope, he butchered P.O.T.A (yeah, I know it was a 're-telling' not a 're-make') why not allow him to do the same to this classic

[​IMG]

3. BarryS

BarryS Second Unit

You know, it's funny. I was just telling someone today that Tim Burton should direct a film version of Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

Perhaps this isn't such a bad idea. It would be really cool if the Willy Wonka remake were rated R. The tunnel sequence could be much freakier.

4. Rob Lutter

Rob Lutter Producer

Sigh... [​IMG]

New ideas? We don't need no stinkin' new ideas!

5. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Lead Actor

Well I think the subject matter is a perfect fit for him, and to be honest I think Johnny Depp could play Wonka pretty damn well in a Burton world.

I actually would be interested in seeing a new version/vision of this classic. It's been said a million times, remakes aren't inherently bad, especially when its not so much a remake as a new translation from famous literature. Nobody bitched when Kurosawa redid Shakespeare stories that had already been films, and not too many people were pissed when Wyler did Ben-Hur.

The bigger key is to put the right artist with the right subject...that's where POTA failed most of all I think.

6. Jay E

Jay E Cinematographer

7. Eric Peterson

Eric Peterson Cinematographer

I'm a huge Burton fan and can't wait to see what his vision of Wonka's world is. I love the original and generally despise remakes, but this one intrigues me.

I do wish that Burton would do another original first though. His last few films have all been visually amazing, but lacking otherwise (POTA, Sleepy Hollow, & Mars Attacks!)

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I'm sure he'll be able to suck all the life and soul out of this one, too.

...cough cough (hack) cough...

9. Tyler Gagnon

Tyler Gagnon Stunt Coordinator

I think i heard some time ago, that Marilyn Manson was to play Wonka.

10. Ross Williams

Ross Williams Supporting Actor

11. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

Why not just remake "The Wizard of OZ"? Some classic films shouldn't be remade - that's why they are classics. I can understanding remaking a silent film, or a film which didn't use much of the original novel. The Burton POTA was quite different than the 1968 version, with a comletely different story line (the only thing that was really the same was the title) Burton would be good, but don't see the need in updating this film when the original was a classic. The recent tv version of "The Music Man" (another film classic) was unwatchable, what a waste of time and money.

12. Joseph Young

Joseph Young Screenwriter

Let me guess, the oompa loompas will all be over five feet tall, half of them beautiful women in loincloths, and willy wonka leads them to safety from a group of apes evolved from...

oops wrong movie

13. Marvin Richardson

Marvin Richardson Supporting Actor

14. Tyler Gagnon

Tyler Gagnon Stunt Coordinator

King Kong.....Anyone!

15. Qui-Gon John

Qui-Gon John Producer

16. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

17. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

Films get remade all of the time for various reasons. Psycho, for example has already been mentioned (probably most of us think that this was not a good idea), but many are more forgiving of the remake of Lolita (I am not one).

Beauty and the Beast shows up 18 times as a movie in the IMDb, not all though are from the same French fairy tale. If one took the position that a classic should not be remade there would have been no more attempts after Jean Cocteau’s 1946 version.

That did not deter Disney, and while I do not think that version is nearly so magical as Cocteau’s, but a great many love the Disney, and it would take a brave person indeed to suggest that it should not have been made.

We can judge the Burton effort only after it has been made and then decide if we think it was a good or bad idea.

18. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron

19. todd s

todd s Lead Actor

Oompa oompa..I've got another remake for you...

Not sure how I feel about this. Although, Tim Burton style is wacky enough for it to work.

20. Scott Weinberg

Scott Weinberg Lead Actor

Good points on both sides of the fence here. As a rule, I dislike the concept of remakes because quite often their inception is borne from laziness:

"Hey we own the rights to it. Let's make another one. It'll make $70 million on name recognition alone."

But Burton has directed some wonderful movies in the past (NO director has a spotless track record) and his directorial style certainly seems to "mesh" with the tone of Dahl's book.

As far as remakes "ruining" the originals, Van Sant's Psycho is just a running-gag footnote in the annals of modern cinema; it poses no threat to the original film's reputation. Ditto De Laurentiis' King Kong and Burton's own Planet of the Apes. Sucky movies all, but the original films are as well-remembered as ever.

And here's a fun question I asked my friends yesterday:

Wonka was a book first. Then it was a movie. So if they make another movie, is it a REMAKE of the original movie, or just another movie adaptation of the same source material?

There have been hundreds of great remakes over the years. It just seems that modern-day Hollywood is pretty much obsessed with cutting corners, and green-lighting several remakes just smacks of laziness.