What's new

Tigerland, anyone seen, heard, or bought this disc? (1 Viewer)

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I was browsing around Best Buy today, and noticed a DVD movie called Tigerland. It's directed by Joel Schumacher. I never saw a trailer for it until today, and it looks decent. The trailer intro said it was a FOX film, and I did a search and came up with nothing. Guess it didn't get rave reviews like most FOX transfers get.
Well, my curiosity got the better of me, and I checked out the movie on IMDB.com. The rating the movie received wasn't bad (mid 7's out of 10 if I remember correctly). So, has anyone got any info on this disc?
Thanks,
Chris
------------------

ChrisA

Second Unit
I bought it. It is sitting on the DVD shelf, waiting it's turn like hundreds of others. I think it will be a good movie, whenever I get around to it... All of my sources said it was worth watching. I don't like spoilers, or even previews for that matter.
------------------
Link Removed

Patrick G

Second Unit
Seen and heard, but not bought. Kinda wish I would have though. It was very good. Colin Farrell really stands out.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
Rented the DVD -- quite a good film. Colin Farrell certainly gives a star-making performance. On a technical standpoint, the look of the film is intentionally grainy and gritty at times, with a very subdued color palette. Wouldn't mind adding this to my collection, though!

Jeff_P

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this movie a few weeks ago knowing nothing about it and I enjoyed it. I was listening to a London radio station on the web and heard that it was playing in theaters over there.

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
Tigerland was one of last year's best films. The man who played the lead role, Colin Farrell, became a star within the industry off his performance and will soon become a star for everyone else on the basis of the roles he landed because of the film. He has been cast in several very high profile projects, including Minority Report and one of my personal faves, the adaptation of Hart's War.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
For much better info on this film, go over to the Movies section and skim through the last few pages of the "Top 10 of 2000" thread.
I think Rob Wiley was one of the people besides me singing this films praises. Several people over there discuss it.
Schumacher seems to have little to do with this flick, mercifully. He brought in the cinematographer for Aranofsky's pictures (Pi and Requiem), Matthew Libatique, and that made all the difference.
Schuey wanted to do a Dogme style film and Libatique helped bring that style over very well. So the film feels nothing like Schumacher, thank god. :)
IIRC, it was in my top 15 for 2000. Maybe not quite a blind purchase, but definately a good risk as a rental that you might end up liking enough to buy.

Elizabeth S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Elizabeth S
On the subject of Colin Farrell's upcoming projects, I'm VERY intrigued by his reteaming with Schumacher for "Phone Booth". A guy walking by a phone booth picks up the ringing phone and is told he will be shot dead if he hangs up. The entire film from there supposedly takes place in the phone booth. Now if THAT doesn't take an actor with a commanding screen presence to pull off, I don't know what would! I'm hoping this scenario is accurate, and we never see whoever the person is on the other end of the line -- much more intriguing than cutting back and forth between them.

Rob_C

Stunt Coordinator
Great flick. One of my favorites from last year. I rented it but I will buy it soon.

Chris Rein

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this movie today, and all I have to say is....
WOW!
icon14.gif
icon14.gif

What an excellent movie! I couldn't believe I had never heard of this movie until one day I saw a ton of them on a rack at Best Buy. The story/acting is outstanding! I need to go pick this one up. Thanks for the info on this great film my fellow HT members! This is one hidden gem that I hope people get a chance to see.
BTW, I thought the transfer was very nice. I know that the film has that down and dirty, gritty look to it, but aside from that, another GREAT transfer from those folks at Fox.
Chris
------------------

Jeff

Supporting Actor
On my calibrated TV the grain on this DVD looked very digital. When you have a movie full of grain from begining to end, this extra information takes up more space, which is why it may look like this. Infact, the scenes in the featurette looked better to me.
But anyway, it is a good movie and definitely worth renting.
Jeff

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Elizabeth, I haven't checked and assume what you say is very accurate. If so then what the F**K happened to Schumacher?? Did someone slip him a hit of acid or something? Sounds like he is getting all arty and adventurous...finally.
If Phone Booth is done as well as Tigerland I just won't know what to think of JS "new" career path, except that it appears to be a remarkable improvement in project choices. :)

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
quote:Sounds like he is getting all arty and adventurous...finally.
If Phone Booth is done as well as Tigerland I just won't know what to think of JS "new" career path
Phone Booth is definitely untraditional but it was among the town's hotter projects. Lots and lots of talk about that one. Jim Carrey was actually supposed to star in it and then he dropped out very close to the start of production. Farrell stepped in for him. Farrell was also a late pick on Hart's War after Edward Norton dropped out.

Larry Bevil

Second Unit
I rented Tigerland a few days ago and, while I would agree it was a very good movie, it was only a "see it once" movie for me. So, I for one, won't be buying the dvd. This is similar to The Thin Red Line for me. Great movie, but wouldn't want to sit through it again.

Rob Willey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rob
quote:I think Rob Wiley was one of the people besides me singing this films praises.
Mr. Paton, if you're going to quote me, at least spell my name right. :)
Yeah, I rented this when it first came out and immediately bought it. Needless to say, I really like it.
If Peter wanders by, I'd love to hear why Fox chose not to put this film into general release (if he knows). Was it too good?
Rob
------------------
"That suits me down to the ground."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
The way this film was shot and acted, sometimes I caught myself thinking that it was too realistic...if that is possible. :)

HalS

Stunt Coordinator
quote:I'd love to hear why Fox chose not to put this film into general release
With that sort of platform release, it's kind of a test. The film is put into a limited number of markets to see if it attracts an audience and creates momentum. Had there been some heat generated and people start talking about the film and they think it has a chance for wider commercial success, it gets expanded. But the film recieved a pretty muted reception in terms of the wider filmgoing public even though a lot of critics liked it. You have to keep in mind that it is very costly to put a film into general release because of the prints and advertising...$15-20 million for the average film.

Brennan Hill

Stunt Coordinator
Bumping this one up.
Wow, really, really good movie. Hard to believe it wasn't given a general release. Almost all relatively unknown actors who could very well be showing up in more films soon. Well written screenplay also by a newcomer. Really hard to believe this comes from Schumacher after his Batman films, but maybe I should say that it's hard to believe that Batman came from the director of this film. Can't go wrong with this one.
Very nice DVD with informative commentary and other extras. Schumacher's enthusiasm for the film really comes through. Also has short featurette and Colin Farrell's screen tests, which I appreciated especially since he was an unknown until cast in this movie.

Brook K

Senior HTF Member
It's accurate Seth, Phone Booth also kicked around several directors, Fincher and Bay were on the project before Schumacher.
------------------
"It's funny how the colors of the real world only seem really real when you viddy them on the screen"
S&S Challenge: 72 ...25
DVD BEAVER

My DVD Collection

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Guys, thanks for the reviews - I saw Tigerland at the video store the other day and put it back on the shelf as soon as I saw Joel Schumacher's name attached. Guess I'll eat some crow and go rent it... :)
------------------
He thought on homeland, the big timber, the air thin and chill all the year long. Tulip poplars so big through the trunk they put you in mind of locomotives set on end. He thought of getting home and building him a cabin on Cold Mountain so high that not a soul but the nighthawks passing across the clouds in autumn could hear his sad cry. Of living a life so quiet he would not need ears. And if Ada would go with him, there might be the hope, so far off in the distance he did not even really see it, that in time his despair might be honed off to a point so fine and thin that it would be nearly the same as vanishing.
-- Charles Frazier, Cold Mountain

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks