What's new

THX Trailers (1 Viewer)

Brad M

Second Unit
I was just wondering how many different versions of the THX sounder logo that plays before the movie exist. In my collection I have a generic one on a number of titles, Toy Story has the one where the little guy works on the logo and flies through my living room, T2: SE has a killer one on it that melts into the logo and The Phantom Menace is suppose to have a new one as well. I heard a long time ago that they even made a Simpsons one but I don't know if that's true. Any info?

JohnnyN

Stunt Coordinator
THX Grand Trailer
THX TEX Trailer
THX TEX 2: Moo Can Trailer (Surround EX)
THX Optimode (test sequences)
edited :)
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody" TARGET=_blank>http://www.7thzone.com/cgi-bin/categ...oads.cgi?id=47
------------------
--------------------------------------------------
Somebody has to pay for retail businesses to let us walk in and audition high quality equipment side by side with our own dvd's and movies. I don't mind paying a premium to support this kind of service and convenience, I wish others would consider this when buying discounted b-stock merchandise from shady internet dealers.
JKB
[Edited last by JohnnyN on September 14, 2001 at 01:00 AM]

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Johnny, you might want to remove that link from your post. The trailers are copyrighted and downloading them is a form of bootlegging, that is frowned upon on this forum.
That being said I wish THX would just put out a trailer disc for consumers to buy. They get plenty requests for such a disc, and I think they would sell enough to make it profitable.
J

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
That being said I wish THX would just put out a trailer disc for consumers to buy.
They did pass out a THX DVD back in 1998 during the CES. I happen to have one. It contains the Simpsons trailer. Check out my site if you want to see how it looks. (Click on the house icon above.)
[Edited last by Evelio Figueroa on September 14, 2001 at 04:50 AM]

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
There was also a special THX trailer custom-made for the French R2 DVD of "Les Rivières Pourpres" (aka "The Crimson Rivers").
I don't have this DVD (no English subtitles), but I do have a French THX trailer DVD which has a "work in progress" version. The sound is spectacular, with a helicopter circling the room.
I'll try to post further details of the French THX Trailer DVD later today.

ChristopherM

Stunt Coordinator
The French THX Demo Disc was given away free with Issue 71 (April/May 2001) of the French magazine "Les Années Laser". Although it is labelled as Region 2 PAL, it appears to work as a Region Zero PAL disc.
The initial menu screen offers a choice of Dolby Digital 5.1 (which leads to the main menu screen via the DD5.1 "Space" trailer) and 1509kbit/s DTS (which leads to the main menu screen via the DTS "Piano" trailer).
By the way, this sound selection menu also has a hidden option to view a promotional short about DTS, in English stereo (!) with French subtitles.
Anyway, the main menu lists five THX trailers:
· Broadway
· Grand
· Tex
· Tex 2
· Les Rivieres Poupres (work-in-progress)
Clicking on any of these gives you the choice of watching the trailer or reading about the story behind the making of the trailer (in French).
Finally, clicking on various background stars on two of the menu screens reveals further Easter Eggs - three DD5.1 trailers (Water Drops, Steam Train and Ruined Temple), a clip from "Les Rivieres Poupres" and the DVD credits.
The disc does not come in a box, but the magazine does contain a tear-out two-sided sleeve to insert into a clear Amray box.
By the way, an article in the magazine also briefly describes (in French) the history of the THX trailers including the following THX trailers missing from the disc:
· Broadway 2000
· Cimarron
· Simpsons
· T2
Back issues may still be available from Les Années Laser's French language website:
http://www.annees-laser.com/
However, be warned that the disc appears to be PAL.

Evelio Figueroa

Second Unit
Cimarron
Cimarron (LaserDisc version)
I should explain the difference between the 2 Cimarron's. :)
The Laserdisc version is shorter and the sound is different. You hear the sound of thunder then rumble when the THX logo flies by. The Original Cimarron is to the sound of Orchastra music.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks