What's new

THX receivers with AC-3 input and projector questions ?? (1 Viewer)

Pkepneriv

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Are there any nice THX receivers with AC-3 input that at least have component in and out? I want to get one to run my laserdisc player with. It seems as thought the stand along decoders cost almost as much as the older receivers I have found. I can't seem to find a receiver that decodes THX and AC-3. I would prefer a Pioneer Elite since most of my equipment is Pioneer but I am open to other good makes and models. One more thing what is a good projector to use with watching laserdiscs on? Thanks again! Paul Kepner

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I originally ignored this thread, but...so did everybody else. You realize your "wants" are 15 years behind the times. Does your LD player not have digital output? If your doesn't, it has to be an extremely early one. Buy another one that does have digital output. If you REALLY want an analog input you will have to buy a holdover AVR from 2011 as "analog 6 channel" disappeared in 2012. Also what is your display? If you have an HD set, you probably don't even need the component out. If you have DVI, ignore the component output and buy an AVR with HDMI upconversion. More information on "what else you have" will go a long way in getting help. But just asking to accomodate a LD player that is(maybe???) Pre-digital is a bit much.

Pkepneriv

Auditioning
Real Name
Paul
Thanks for replying schan. My laserdisc player is a LD/DVD combo. It has coax digital out, optical out, and AX-3 RF ourput. I already have all the nice modern updated equipment. I have a higher end Pioneer a/v receiver with plenty of HDMI inputs for all I have an more. I have a LG bluray player, Pioneer elite DVD player, xbox 360 a Mitsubishi diamond series 64" hdtv. My laserdisc player and discs are a hobby of mine. The reason I was asking about a receiver is because a nice AC-3 demodulator is around the same price as an older but still nice receiver. I know the Pioneer elite SC-09 has THX, HDMI and AC-3 input but it is a pain trying to find one so i was trying to find something that might be similar. Any help or advice would be awesome. Thanks, Paul Kepner

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Since your LD/DVD player has, your choice even, digital output...an AC3 demodulator is a moot point. You don't need one. Send the 5.1 via the digital. As for component, since you already have a "lofty budget" (based on considering the SC09)...HDMI upconversion is a given. You are overthinking what you need. A modern AVR with its on-board DSP will accomplish everything an outboard modulator would.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
By the way, all AC3 means is you have "stero surround"...meaning 5 channel. All the AC3 demodulator is for is for those people out there still holding onto their 15+ year old analog gear. You don't have 15 year old analog gear.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'm also being "presumptive" here. Most "what hasn't made it to DVD yet" is all DTS encoded LD. AC3 Demod won't do anything for DTS anyway. Add to that the magic that DPLii does to the stereo track of LD to begin with... It is usually less expensive to replace your AC3 LD with the DVD than it is to buy the demodulator.

mpompey

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Michael Pompey
Paul, welcome to the forum. I was in the same boat you were a couple of years back. I had a ton of old criterion LDs that hadn't made it to DVD yet. It ended up being a pain always having to order equipment from Japan or Korea to keep up with everything. I eventually sold the LD combo player to a collector in South Korea, and off loaded the LDs to a local buyer; and have never looked back.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks