What's new

Thundercats DVD ERRORS/PROBLEMS (1 Viewer)

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just got the set and noticed the following errors/edits:

EXODUS - NOT IN IT'S ORIGINAL PRESENTATION - edited for tv version.

Also doesn't appear to be fully restored. A frame appeared to jump during the first few minutes.

THE UNHOLY ALLIANCE- THE ENTIRE SOUNDTRACK IS MISSING! You hear it in French and Spanish but it's nowhere to be heard in the English track.

THE GHOST WARRIOR - Doesn't appear to be fully restored. Note the "Closed Captioning" logo appears in the opening theme suggesting an inferior TV print was used.

MANDORA, EVIL CHASER - Same problem as Ghost Warrior.

Can anyone confirm any of these abnormalities or did I just get a bad disc(s)?

I can live with EXODUS not being the original (it was somewhat to be expected) but what happened to "The Unholy Alliance?

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Paul, I've contacted Warner Bros and send them this thread, as well as an email I received. They're looking into the problem.

Gord

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks Gord. Hopefully they'll handle this type of situation appropriately and swiftly this time.

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
Damn. I should've waited a few weeks to see what people thought of this set before buying it. But I bought it on Tuesday (along with Profit, which is brand new to me) 'cause I was at the mall anyway and was just so hyped to finally be able to own it in an official, hopefully good quality release.

I haven't cracked it open yet (too busy with the fourth season of Babylon 5 and the V mini-series), but I assume mine'll have the same errors. I guess I should start watching it soon so that I can take advantage of whatever offers Warner Brothers may come up with for replacements.

Adam_G

Grip
I can confirm all the above problems, very very disappointing, I mean I can kind of live with Exodus being edited, but can't they just rip it from the VHS? I mean I'd rather take a complete, lesser quality print than the master without the footage in it, there is also other footage from Exodus cut where Jaga is talking with the Thundercats.

The Unholy Alliance no music thing is unexecusable, I mean I know there are factory errors, but this is stuff you should really check before it goes into production, and the Closed Captioning things is kind of annoying too, why didn't they spend a little more time on this set like Rhino did with Transformers, and more recently the He-Man Best of DVD? Come on Warner!

Hopefully they offer some sort of disc exchange program, because I can't return my set once it's opened because of Best Buy's (and any other retailer's) return policy.

Please fix this Warner, a lot of people may not be inclined to purchase future sets (not that I'm threating them, it's just a very likely scenario)

Thanks

BradD

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brad
Count me out then. There's too many other tv shows on dvd to buy for me to spend my money on incomplete/edited releases.

Carlo S

Stunt Coordinator
Thats another TV set I wont be buying.

Is it just me or is this year especially proven real bad for TV series on DVD? They are either edited, or bad quality discs?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Im about ready to give up on TV dvds for the most part. Its seems that regardless of the studio, financial backing, commercial popularity, outside involvement or fan support... they just cant seem to ever release a television property without error. If its not syndicated cuts or sourcing flawed lackluster non-master prints it's issues of licenising rights or technical audio glitches or sourced PAL transfers, wrong credits, deliberate edits, uninspired barebone releases, etc. With few exceptions such as The Twilight Zone and The Simpsons, I really can't think of any others that have gotten it 100% right. I'm more often than not finding myself dissapointed with a releasee I'd otherwise been greatly anticipating. I'm starting to thing the entire premise is doomed to second-rate status. The studios seem to be aiming for mediocrity, as long as they can put the box on shelf it's passable. My interest in the trend is beginning to diminish...

Gord Lacey

Senior HTF Member
Guys, let's not turn this into another "doom and gloom" thread. Yes, there are more edited sets being released, but there are MORE SETS BEING RELEASED.

Warner Bros has already begun looking into the errors in the set.

Gord

Jason_V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason
Yeah, this is disappointing since I literally just ordered this set. If WB does get it fixed up and the way it should be (just like the snafu that happened with the Back to the Future set), I'll grab it (yes, I'm going to cancel).

Am I upset with it? Yeah. But ya know what? There are lots of other things and ways to spend the $45 this set was going for.

Thank you, Gord, for being on top of this.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
Shouldn't the version of Exodus on the DVDs be the edited television version since that is the version that originally aired on TV? I remember people complaining that Farscape: The Peacekeeper Wars was one movie instead of being shown like it was on TV as two shows.

Paul

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I too, was extremly dissapointed when I popped this disc in. First thing I noticed, is the sound didn't seem all that great in the introduction sequence. It seemed kind of dulled.

Maby Moltar was right, Toonami sound is better :).

The second thing was that Exodus was edited. This I could almost excuse, as most people are familair with the TV version. But the other problems really should have been looked into.

Too bad there's no 'quality control council' for TV on DVD releases, where someone looks out for the consumer buying the product.

Lets hope warners comes through with us with trade in discs, are they usually good with these kinds of things? :)

Thanks Gord for checking in so fast with it.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
For me "The Unholy Alliance" is what I'm most disappointed with and is unwatchable. A proper introduction to the characters are effectively lost.

Also certain sound effects like the sword warning of danger is gone. The only way you can really watch it is in French/Spanish with english subtitles.

And as I said Gord,I really appreciate your heads up on this by reporting it but unfortunately the "doom and gloom" attitude over here is pretty much to be expected. I don't share it but I understand it. Primarily because the way Warner Animation handled/will handle? the The Tom and Jerry situation. People have lost confidence on them.

But as silly as it sounds, excect for the above errors listed, this is a flawless set. Most episodes look colorful and sharp. The menus and packaging are cool and the inner cover/disc art is neat and well designed.

Style wasn't the problem with this set, it was the execution. And hopefully Warner Bros. will re-earn the trust of many here by offering a replacement.

Marco I share your frustration. The way I see it though is this:

The more complex/technical the home theatre industry becomes the more chance there is of something going wrong. The more "bells and whistles" something has the more chance of imperfection and break down. More and more shows are getting released which means that more and more things can go wrong. And the list you gave is just some of the things that can potentially plague a release. Plus theres the whole human error element we must consider.

Mistakes will happen. Always. What I belieive the true test is the way it gets handled or fixed.

Do they offer a replacement?
Do they give a valid reason?
Was the problem unavoidable?

These are the questions we should ask.

Do I feel disapointed, frustrated? Sure I do.

But to always talk negative is to defeat the purpose of what we're doing here. The Home Theatre forum is a great community and I enjoy it because of the positive atmosphere and camaraderie we have with eachother while discussing are enjoyment of Film and TV.

If we always dwell on negatives we no longer become a community.It's no longer worth having one.

I'm with Gord. This is an exciting time for TV releases as so many shows are coming out every week.

It's allright to complain (like I did) but let's try to keep a positive outlook allright guys?

/end of speech:D

Kris_AB

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kris
I'm spreading the word around for people to hold off on buying this until either Warner offers replacement discs, or a re-release is announced. It's only fair. I'm not saying, "the sets are horrible!", just reporting on the errors.

Tory

-The Snappy Sneezer- -Red Huck-
Real Name
Tory
Hopefully this debacle will garner more attention than Tom & Jerry and some head will roll at WB and someone that will treat these properties with more respect will rise to power.

Paul Pro

Stunt Coordinator
Well I just finished watching both Ghost Warrior and Mandora, Evil Chaser and it's not as bad as it was at first glance. The picture is not quite as sharp and colorful as the other episodes but still looked quite nice. It seems even unrestored they still hold up. The same couldn't be said for those botched Spiderman '67 episodes where the drop in quaility was enourmous.

The first disc however has to be replaced. Chopped up Exodus and especially musicless "The Unholy Alliance" are the primary problems with the set.

John*D

Second Unit
:angry: Hopefully Wesley Crusher (Wil Wheaton) will freak out and use his influence to DEMAND that this be fixed.

Vince Butler

Agent
Real Name
Vince Butler
Luckily mine's still shrinkwrapped. I'll hang onto it for awhile, and if I don't hear anything in the next few weeks I can return it. (But I'm crossing my fingers to hear something...)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks