What's new

Threshold ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Garrett Adams

Supporting Actor
I'm still with the show but do agree with the negative comments here. One unique thing that distracts me is every time Charles S. Dutton is in profile I'm reminded of Shrek. :)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
This show could have been so much more than it is. With the aliens (or perhaps just their machinery) already being established as pan-dimensional (or just higher-dimensional), and able to peek and poke into our dimension to move/alter/destroy matter on a microscopic level, Braga could have done pretty much anything and gotten away with it. The aliens would have had powers beyond our imagining, with enough mystery, drama, and variety to last several seasons as they slowly reveal themselves and their agenda.

But no. He had to go and make it so that these mega-powerful pan-dimensional aliens have engineered something a mundane as a sound wave that does all their dirty work for them, without need of their sub-molecular matter-reconfiguring abilities. Oh, sure, they use their awesome powers to introduce this sound wave into our world, and then, despite their amazing abilities, rely on an MP3 file archived from an answering machine to fulfill their agenda. They literally phoned it in!

This is really dumb.

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Ugh, this show is really poor (why do I continue to watch?).

Worst moment of the week for me: The writers have a character point out the incredibly obvious: "Why would she try to infect everyone via Rave when all she has to do is upload the signal to the internet?"

The answer: "This girl who knows enough about computers and electronics to mix music on them can't figure the incredibly complex idea of how to send files on the internet."

I'm sure its just a misleading preview, but next week's episode looks like it might actually advance the plot so I guess I'll stick around for at least one more episode.

Phil Iturralde

Screenwriter
Like it or not (I personally like it...), according to Carla Gugino (Molly) TV Guide interview, ...

Unlike E.T., Threshold's otherworld entities aren't exactly kind. Thus far, the Red Team has lived with that, but in this week's outing, one person tied to the team won't, as the series unspools its first "good guy" death.

(spoiler text added)

Phil

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I read over at trekweb that they may have a different title for this show each season...if it makes it that long.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
There's not really any need for spoiler text, since the character was killed off in last week's episode. I think TPTB made a good choice in killing off Molly's mentor, considering we know that this not being HBO that they weren't going to kill off a title character. It gave some emotional resonance to the episode, but I wished they had made it a bit more clear to the audience that Mentor lady was clearly lying before they brought the plane down. I would bet anything that losing their influential pal on the Hill is going to cause some bureacratic nightmares for the Red Team.

I'm glad they are re-airing the pilot episode tonight. It and the second ep (which aired together as the 'first episode') are the only ones I missed.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
If anyone here is still watching Threshold, you should know it is switching timeslots with Close to Home. The next new Threshold episode will be Tuesday, November 22 at 10 PM. See the press release at The Futon Critic

Neil

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

Even though its ratings aren't horrible this will probably kill the show. I wouldn't have known about this if I didn't hit some websites during the day. I bet the majority of folks will tune in friday and it won't be on and then it won't be on next week either and they'll assume it has been cancelled. Which will lead them to miss Nov 22nd episode and then they'll wonder why their ratings dropped to zero.

I hate when networks pull this crap without any notice.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

No notice? It's nearly 2 weeks notice if the next episode isn't until 11/22.

I've seen it reported in several different places already and it was just announced.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

"Law & Order: SVU" and "Boston Legal".

I'm not sure the competition is the real issue, rather that CBS thinks it will make a better match with "The Amazing Race," and maybe pull more young males, than following "Ghost Whisperer" which skews female.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Since it is a new show they are trying to establish, I am somewhat surprised they did not swap it with Numb3rs. Numbers has been more than solid and has an established base in its second year. I also think Threshold fits better in the later timeslot. I hope the Tuesday slot works for it, because I really like the show and I do not want it to fail. The competition on Tuesday will be stiffer and that worries me. Even if the total numbers are not better than Boston or SVU, it will do fine as long as it skews younger.

Kyle

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Kyle
Nip Tuck is on at the same time as well. Hmmm decisions....

MikeAlletto

Senior HTF Member

Where was it reported? I have not seen a tv commercial about it? I've seen a commercial saying Close to Home is on Friday. But nothing about threshold. If "reported" means online press release that isn't going to reach anyone and their ratings will drop a ton when it comes back on in 2 weeks. The whole 5 people or so who watch it here are not going to help its ratings. This is par for the course for tv shows. Change its time slot in mid season is pretty much the nail in the coffin. I'll be extremely surprised if it comes back next season. I always thought fridays were bad for new tv shows but this and ghost whisperer work. I never watch them live though so who knows.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
That does it from me. Threshold has been my guilty pleasure show this season, but it won't pull me away from SVU.

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Fridays, Saturdays, changing timeslots, being on at the same time as a popular show, starting a week after other shows premiere, being pre-empted by sports, being a drama airing after a comedy, being a comedy airing after a drama, being paired with an unscripted show, not being advertised enough, having the advertising start too early so the audience thinks they've missed it...

Does that cover everything? It's a wonder there are ever new shows that do stick.

derek

Second Unit
Not happy to see the time/day change. However the past 2 episodes of Threshold have been the best so far IMHO. We're getting some good alien revelation and the stakes have gotten much higher. I think the entire cast is excellent.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Well, at least CBS did some hefty advertising of the new day & time this weekend. I saw multiple advertisements during Sunday football and I think I saw an advertisement during 60 Minutes as well.

Neil

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks