What's new

Threshold ongoing thread (1 Viewer)

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
I agree with the last poster. So many of the bad sci-fi shows of the past used the same storyline in every episode.
I remember one from the late 60s or early 70s called Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea about a super submarine, used the same plot every week, just changed the suit on the monster that always got "loose in the reactor room."

I have a feeling that Threshold will give us a little more about the nature of the invaders as a subplot every week with the majority of the airtime devoted to quelling another infectee outbreak.

So far I like Surface for it's production values and scariness, Invasion for the malevolent evil nature of the invaders and the Jack Black clone character. Both leave me pretty eager to learn more, while Threshold seems to already have gotten stale and repetitive. I do like the characters in the show, though, so will give it a couple more episodes to break out of the "outbreak of the week" pattern before giving up on it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
I forgot to mention this in my last post, but did anyone else notice the blatant product placement for the Chevy Impala in Friday's ep? The logo (from the ad which prominently played at just about every break) was superimposed upon one of the tiles in the restaurant at the beginning of the episode. The game of advertising limbo has just set a new low.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I wouldn't call that a product placement. It was part of a contest, which viewers were told (warned) about in the ads, so it wasn't like the logo was hamhandedly integrated into the story just hamhandedly slapped into the picture :). So I tend to forgive that more than say, an episode of Alias when Sydney was kidnapped and Agent Vaughn made a point of saying they took off in a Ford Focus ZX3. A subsequent episode had the agents needing a chase vehicle and Sydney exclaimed, "Get the Ford F150!"

Sebastien S

Second Unit
Maybe it's just me but man does this show drag on...

I have no attention disorders of any kind but I have a hard time staying focused when watching this show. It's like it's wheels are stuck in the mud as it's moving so slow!

I understand where there going but their just taking way too much time... Many will lose interest, there's just not enough happening!

I'll continue watching because I started (and because I have nothing else on Friday nights) but if they don't pick up the paste soon, I seriously doubt this show will make it back next year...

So far I prefer both "Invasion" & "Supernatural" to this show.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

That explains a lot. I don't watch the commercials, I only saw the logo as it was flying by. Thanks for the heads up.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I liked this episode more than the Premiere episode but why is the Bodyguard guy always gone when you need him and Guchino's character ends up running around trying to defend herself why being chased?

Jeff*S*C*

Second Unit
Well, just watched the first ep. since I was on vacation last week (in D.C. no less and no I didn't have a compulsion to walk to some refinery but I did catch a nasty cold). It just seemed like a generic sci-fi show to me. Too bad because I likes me some Gugino, Spiner and aliens. I'll watch the second ep. I have recorded and hopefully it'll be better.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Is it my imagination, or does Carla Gugino sport a new hairdo in each change of venue on the show so far?

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
Man, I wish they could merge Threshold and Surface. Surface gets everything else right (the accuracy of the military stuff in it was shocking after watching Threshold) but I like the Threshold cast better even if the writing has wasted them so far.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Well, for me, it just that these characters just talk and talk and talk, and it still feels like they are writing to fill up the 41 minutes and then give us the parable for the day in the last minute of the episode.

The "chemistry" between Molly and Cavanaugh is ridiculously bad.

Maybe it'll play better on TV on DVD, but from week-to-week, it has developed a penchant for monotony.

Oh, it did end on an ominous note, that Molly might actually be one of them already with her "we have a plan" comment to the mental patient.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Hmm...that's an interesting interpretation. I just took it as her trying to make him feel better, despite the fact this plan of hers is untested and she's starting to realize that.

Seeing this show actually makes me pissed again that Karen Sisco got canned. Gugino deserves better.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
I don't know if this is going anywhere. It was interesting to learn that the alien artifact had been buried for over 100 years, but I'm still feeling like the trigger has already been pulled on this story arc, and now we're just filling time dealing with the consequences.

In other words, I'm not expecting any payoff in the long run, just a bunch of running around, trying to keep up with the spread of infection.

I hope I'm wrong.

And why would they choose to infect a small crew of a ship in the Atlantic? Why not Times Square on New Year's Eve?

Kevin Grey

Senior HTF Member
This one is struggling to hold my interest. That's two weeks in a row now that I've struggled to stay awake through an episode. If it doesn't pick up soon then I'm dropping my season pass.

Mark Pfeiffer

Screenwriter
I'm going to give it a little more time--I think it's improved marginally since the mediocre opener--but I fear that this cast is being wasted on pretty thin material.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
One could say it is in their best interest for us viewers to abandon the show so it will get canceled so they can move on to better things. ;)

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams
Another great episode. :emoji_thumbsup:

I think the show has gotten better each week (missed the pilot) and now the story is poised to go in different directions now that the Red Team has discovered that the Aliens have been here for at least 100 years. I think the most interesting part of the show is the fact that Molly, Cavanaugh & Lucas have been partly changed by the Aliens and can use their dreams to fight. It looks like TPTB have a plan for where the story is headed and they obviously respect continuity which is always a plus.

BTW, Threshold won it's time slot on Friday with a 5.7/10. With practically no competition, CBS should be pleased enough to give the show a full season.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks