What's new

Three's Company UNauthorized Story TV MOVIE(5-12 on NBC) (1 Viewer)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Tonight is the night if you want to catch the
Three's Company: UNauthorized Story Movie

I'm a die hard fan of Three's Company, so I can't miss this.

It will be interesting to see, how these younger actors portray the main three, and how they redo some of the episodes.
The movie is narrated by Joyce De Witt

anybody else curious about this??

Here's the credits
http://us.imdb.com/Title?0332436

Bret Anthony, who plays Jack Tripper, is basically a new comer actor.

Melaine Dean Moore, who plays Janet Wood, has been in a few things, most recently in "Slackers"(Masturbating Co-Ed)

Judy Taylor, who plays Chrissy Snow, looks pretty hot, but wasn't in much.

Gregg Berkley, who plays Mr. Furley, this is his first role.
(like to see how he pulls this off)

also,
I would like to see how this Terence Kelly pulls off Mr. Roper.
He's been in numerous movies.

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
Thanks for the reminder, John. I've been looking forward to this for weeks. I wonder just how much they will actually bend the truth into ratings seeing as how it's "unauthorized" At least the real Janet has something to do with production. I'll be available to discuss sometime in the next few days.:)

JohnS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Steffens
Finished watching it.
Not too bad of a TV movie.

If you've seen the E! True Hollywood Story, then you already know alot.
But this gave some new info, not too much though.

Bret Anthony did a decent Jack Tripper, from some of his profile shots, it really did look like John Ritter.

Judy Taylor did about the best she could've done with Susanne Summers/Chrissy Snow.
There was about only one or two shots where it looked liked Susanne Summers.

Melaine Dean Moore and Gregg Berkley should be given specials nods.

Gregg did about a perfect Don Knots impression, with the little screen time they gave him.

Melaine was just super as Joyce DeWitt.
Thought she nailed it down just about perfect.

It's suppose to be UNauthorized, but I do believe alot of the story.
Especially Susanne & her husband Allen's interfering and demandingness.

I laughed so hard at the scene where Susanne was left only to do spokespersons jobs.
And her husband introduced her to her new job as the Thighmaster spokeswoman/person

Next week is the Martha Inc. story, which was directed by the same person who did the three's Company movie.
Cybil Shepherd looks like she plays a terrific Martha
**1/2/****

Scott Van Dyke

Supporting Actor
I was a bit dissapointed. The movie entertained me, but should have been called: "Behind the Scenes of Chrissy Snow". They titled it wrong. Unless I missed something, there was nothing about how Cindy Snow left and that nurse chick came. Did this actress get a big head as well?

And where was Larry or the Elvira-looking girlfriend of Jack's?(forget her name) Larry was a large part of the show. Always getting Jack into trouble. No Reagle-Beagle? No biggie, but we didn't see much of the any of the sets. Would have given a cool nostalgic feeling.

On a positive note, I agree that the actress that played Janet was exceptional. Maybe a bit too attractive for the part? I couldn't buy into the fact that someone elso was playing Jack Tripper, however. Though at the end, we did get a glimpse of him and he resembled John Ritter. And the Snow character was alright. I loved Brian Dennahey's performance. He's good in everything I've seen him in. Loved him in First Blood.

I don't know what Suzanne Sommers and her husband were thinking, though. When I was growing up watching re-runs in the '80's, I watched the show for the comedy of Jack, mostly. I could give two shits about Suzanne Sommers. 500% raise and the childish antics of her husband? Man, I would have found some way to clean house much earlier.

I liked the Ropers better than Furley, too. (On the show) I remember some of the times that Stanley would make a face and look into the camera. Those moments were hilareous.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
While I have fond memories of this show, this movie special has tarnished them very much so.

While I have been well aware of the behind the scene antics, I couldn't help but get the feeling that we were to believe that Joyce Dewitt was the most innocent and put upon person in the show.

I really believe that a lot of what was done was basically out of sour grapes being the fact that two people, that did her'wrong' still have jobs in the field and are doing well. What has she done with her role in the acting world? Outside of Three's Company very little.

While I admit that the antics of Suzanne and her husband were out of hand, I really do believe that a lot of that work was done by the people, that yes they did work for her, but at the same time, you can say what was said about here about ANY celebrity.

While I was also able to understand Joyce and her being upset about the spin-off and John not telling her...she needs to put herself in the other place. With as oppressive as the producers and such were behind the show, I am sure that she would have been hush-hush as well.

I told my partner when the show begin and in just the first twenty minutes that it was so fast paced that when they got to the 'conflicts' that the pace would stop like a plane crash. Why too much time was spent on how Sommers did the show wrong along with the producers and network.

I also believe that it was very rude to play in the 1981 segment of the show when Suzanne learns that she has been fired to be playing Hall and Oat's 1977 hit "Rich Girl." It was in very poor taste and frankly another notch in my new found dislike for Joyce. As an executive producer, she called the shots on that one...it could have been avoided.

And as far as going on to talk about Suzanne and the Thighmaster...is it sour grapes agains because she made millions of that product while Joyce made pennies when she did an infomercial for diet pills? It really makes you wonder.

I really think that the biased that I felt in the program would have been avoided if she had not been involved. As much as what I love "Laverne and Shirley," I am sure that if Cindy Williams was to do a film about the behind the scenes stuff that it would be slanted her 'way' as well. Same thing about any other television in the history of television...there isn't just two sides to every story, there is 599...

And the Elvira looking girlfriend I believe that her name was Ann Wedgeworth if memory serves me correctly.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
It was campy and cheesy but in a good way.
I had heard and read most of this before over the years so I was familiar with the story but it was still fun to watch.

Suzannes husband was hillarious. He was like a characture with his stock lines. It was almost tragic how his interests in Suzannes career stemed from a lack of career himself and how he ended up screwing both of them(cut to his Alpha Beta Commercial).

The songs they chose fit just fine too.
Bad Taste? No, added to the camp level.

Suzanne make some big mistakes but so do allot of Hollywood stars who let success go to their head.
What did she have afterwards? She's the Sheriff and Thigh Master.

It also showed how Hollywood chews you up and spits you out, like they did with deWitt and Norman Fell. They were done with them and didnt need them anymore so buh-bye to them.

Chuck L

Screenwriter
My partner brought up She's The Sheriff as well, but let us not forgot that wonderful (cough, cough, cough) so that she did with Patrick Duffy on ABC though for what seemed like 50 years...

Don't get me wrong, I am not a Suzanne fan, I could really care less about her television or showbiz life...but I do still think that a big thing that the movie shows is the simple fact that some people need to get on with their lives and not live in their past glories...others have moved on and so should Joyce...I mean...sorry, no reason to point names out I quess...:b

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
To be fair, she also had that other successful ABC sitcom with Patrick Duffy. In Step, something like that? It had the cute girl from My Two Nads (Staci Keanan, and before you say anything, wise guy, I was about her age when both shows aired :) ).

The annoying Elvira chick was named Lana on the show, and it was a blessing when she left.

Also, I agree wholeheartedly that it was Jack's show. That's why it was able to continue after Chrissy left and, other than a shaky period here and there, it remained enjoyable to the end. Chrissy had to go, though. She was a cartoon by the end and not even attractive to look at. On Three's Company, she was very pretty in the pilot and maybe the first couple of episodes, then she went downhill fast. I think it was the hair and the badly done attempts at Jim Carrey-esque facial plasticity. Interestingly enough, she looked much better in later years. She still looks pretty good today, or at least, she did last time I saw her.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
I thought it was interesting how they threw in tidbits about Chrissy's Cousin and how she couldnt remember lines, couldnt act and was told to be more annimated....

I remember reading that Lana was gotten rid of because there is know way that Jack would have turned down sex from a Voluptuous Woman that many times so they had nothing else they could do with the character and she was written off.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Mikel,

Can't believe you came up with the Alpha Beta commercials Alan Hammel did ("Tell A Friend")....

In the E! True Hollywood Stories on Three's Company, it was said that John Ritter was the highest-paid of the three leads. His contract was written so that no matter what Joyce or Suzanne got, he will still get paid more than his costars. To be fair, he was the star attraction of that show, and to his credit, the show remains hilarious til this day. When Suzanne came up with her "demands", I remember the amount they were throwing around was about $1.5 million total for the three lead actors for each episode. And this was back in the late 70s/early 80s.

Jordan_E

Senior HTF Member
I ended up watching while trying to get my infant daughter to sleep and was surprised how much I liked this show! Amazingly, I'm ready to check out MARTHA INC. simply because I enjoyed the Three's Company show.

Jeff(R)

Second Unit
And where was Larry or the Elvira-looking girlfriend of Jack's?(forget her name) Larry was a large part of the show. Always getting Jack into trouble..
http://www.planetout.com/pno/enterta...tml?sernum=442

"There is one vital piece of the puzzle missing, though. Richard Kline, who played next-door neighbor Larry, isn't in the film. Why not? DeWitt said the producers felt like there were too many people to deal with and that they wanted to focus on Chrissy, Janet and Jack.

The exclusion of Kline from the film troubled DeWitt so much, she said she even offered to cover the salary of any actor cast to play Larry. But she was unable to convince the producers to write Kline's character into the script. "Aside from John and me, no one was with the show longer than Richard Kline," DeWitt said, "and what he did as Larry was so wonderful."

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks