What's new

Three-strip Technicolor on Blu-ray: any recommendations? (1 Viewer)

Doug Bull

Advanced Member
Real Name
Doug Bull
Two really enjoyable Universal Technicolor Westerns "Backlash" and "Man Without a Star" have just been given lush Blu-ray treatment in Germany.
While these are most likely not 3 strip productions, if the screen grabs over at the Beaver are anything to go by, the colors do look very attractive, especially MWAStar.

I might order both of them along with "The Cardinal" Blu-ray.

Doug.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
Doug Bull said:
Two really enjoyable Universal Technicolor Westerns "Backlash" and "Man Without a Star" have just been given lush Blu-ray treatment in Germany.
While these are most likely not 3 strip productions, if the screen grabs over at the Beaver are anything to go by, the colors do look very attractive, especially MWAStar.

I might order both of them along with "The Cardinal" Blu-ray.

Doug.
If you do buy them, please let us know about the quality. I don't trust Beaver's caps at all!

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
So Vic Pardo, you started this WONDERFUL thread and then checked out!! :eek:

I'm so curious as to whether you were able to expand your 3-strip blu-ray experience and if you took anybody's recommendations and what you thought of them if you did.

PLEASE come back to us Vic!!!

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
Well not yet on Blu-ray, but the 1942 Cecil B. de Mille movie, Reap The Wild Wind was on the telly in HD the other day (UK), I recorded it, & it looks...stunning! Beautiful colour, hardly a mark on it & sharp as a tack. I grew up watching this on our little b/w TV in the late 50's. It's great to see it after all these years looking so good. I hope Universal gets around to releasing this, & while they're at it, releases the equally great looking C.B. de Mille, Unconquered 1947.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Billy Batson said:
Well not yet on Blu-ray, but the 1942 Cecil B. de Mille movie, Reap The Wild Wind was on the telly in HD the other day (UK), I recorded it, & it looks...stunning! Beautiful colour, hardly a mark on it & sharp as a tack. I grew up watching this on our little b/w TV in the late 50's. It's great to see it after all these years looking so good. I hope Universal gets around to releasing this, & while they're at it, releases the equally great looking C.B. de Mille, Unconquered 1947.
It did look good considering the lower bitrate of HD television, the problem would be that if Universal releases it they might screw it up, i am not a Universal "hater" but they can be very hit or miss when it comes to the presentation of catalog on blu ray, in particular i think they have too much of a fondness for sharpening up HD releases when really they don't need to do that.

moviepas

Supporting Actor

Doug, I have these from Germany and they look very good to me. They do default to the German dubbing but a that's not a problem to fix.

Both films have William Campbell as a co-star. He recently died. He was much older than I thought.

Ed Lachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Edmund Lachmann
Ethan Riley said:
Is Warners would get off their butts and release more MGM titles...eh, I'm sick of bringing it up!
With that library, I was really hoping to see anything from them even remotely interesting by now.

Alan Tully

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Alan
I watched this all the way through the other night, a trip down memory lane as it's the kind of film I grew up with, seeing it on the telly in the late 50's early 60's. And wow, it looks stunning! Hardly a mark on it, sharp, almost like 3D at times, & that lovely 40's thick colour. I thought it looked as good as the new Samson & Delilah transfer. Koch, if you're reading this, this would be a good Blu for you, & while you're at it, you might just as well release Unconquered as well.It looks like Universal has been doing some great work on its forties titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks