Three new XM stations

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones / Entertainment' started by TheLongshot, Feb 28, 2006.

1. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

http://www.xmradio.com/lineup/

All starting March 1.

XM49: Big Tracks - Basically, splitting off Top Tracks at the 80s. Actually, sounds a bit more like the old Sirius channel "Big Rock", which will suit me just fine.

XM84: XM Chill - For fans of smooth electronica. I'll be interested in checking it out.

XM173: WLW - More talk radio.

So far, it doesn't look like anything was cut...

Jason

2. RomanSohor

RomanSohor Second Unit

I, myself am not a metal fan, but it seems (from reading other boards) that a lot of subscribers are getting Sirius, or not liking Xm as much because of a lack of Metal (Liquad Metal was lost when MLB came).

A lot have said that Big Tracks is kind of reminiscent of da boneyard. I wonder if perhaps the boneyard may eventually be going away and replaced with a metal channel.

3. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

This is great news! No, I don't think B.Y. will go away, they'll just play harder edge music and remove some of the music I actually wanted to hear anyway. Top tracks, deep tracks, and the B.Y. are too scattered as it is now. XM49 could end up being a Godsend for me.

4. TheLongshot

TheLongshot Producer

I don't think Big Tracks is going to affect Da Boneyard at all, really. They are still going to play what they are going to play.

The channel, tho, may be more attractive to those who think Da Boneyard is too deep and want a channel that is "just the hits, mahm."

I listened this morning, and got Rush, Slaughter, Styx, and David Bowie.

Jason

5. Jeff_CusBlues

Jeff_CusBlues Supporting Actor

Both my wife and I like the Big Tracks channel. It seems to be late 70s and 80s classic rock. I don't like it as much as Deep Tracks, but it is one I listen too.

6. Chris

Chris Lead Actor

In the end, they are announcing a total of five commercial free stations to supplant the 5 CC "commercial carrying" music channels, bringing them to a total of 74 music networks.

What I'm wondering is: where are they coming up with the bandwidth to do this? I'll be interested to see some reports of sound quality after channel ads are done, because based on their data sheet when they first went online, I can't see how they can do this and not significantly cut bandwidth on at least some of the music channels. The units themselves aren't designed to handle a larger stream volume.

7. Shawn Shultzaberger

Shawn Shultzaberger Supporting Actor

I haven't been digging the 80's channel. Anytime I tune in I hear nothing but slow jams and light rock. Sure there's ch.41 but they don't play a lot of what I used to listen to. Now that they have added ch.49 I don't switch much. I really like this new channel. It's a nice "in between" of the other two channels. Now if they could get a channel in for the 80's "New Wave" and "Euro Pop" I'd really be set.

8. Ronn.W

Ronn.W Second Unit

When they've added temporary channels in the past, like the 5 or 6 they did during the holidays, I didn't notice any change in quality. I also didn't see/read anything complaining about a drop in quality from others.