What's new

Three Kings: Sequel?? (1 Viewer)

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Howdy,
I am pulling out my copy of Three Kings this week to watch one more time. Now that we are in the thick of Gulf War II, it will be interesting to watch the politics of this film. I liked this movie a lot when it came out and thought it was a nice mix of politics-lite and action with a good dose of humor to balance it out. So will there be a Four Kings? Three Kings After Next? It is interesting that the firt movie's sort of banner moment was when the soldier's turn their need to get the gold into their need to save the refugees they are doing what supposedly this current war is out to do (okay, one of the many changing reasons). Just a thought on it.

Phil

Paul_D

Senior HTF Member
If there was to be another, it wouldn't happen for years and years. A major studio like WB wouldn't so blatantly court political controversy so close to the event. Also, the filmmakers involved don't particularly strike me as the kind of people to "cash in" on these times. Plus, the plot really doesn't lend itself to a continuation. It wrapped itself up very nicely indeed. :)

Andy Olivera

Screenwriter
If they do make one I'll be seriously pissed off. Three Kings is excellent and there's absolutely no need for a sequel.

You could look at it as a referrence to the current war, as well. One could interpret the pivotal scene as the first war ending and the second beginning.

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I put it on right when the war was starting. We really left those people high and dry when we intially said we would back them.
................but oil was not the reason we were there.
And that's true again

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Wait a second, I thought I was watching the sequel the other day on CNN??? I thought it was being run as a mini-series, sort of like Traffik.

Man, remember that scene when Geraldo Rivera made an ass out of himself when they said he was already thrown out of the country. That was the funniest part I thought. Not sure about his journalism, but his comedy acting is top notch.

;):D

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading in a local paper a while ago someone overhearing two kids talking about Titanic and one asking the other when Titanic II was going to be out.
The other just said something like,"probably soon"

I think you should copyright your ideas....they almost seem like something hollywood would steal

Who would make a good Saddam for the Sequel?
Michael Moore with a Suntan? No...George Hamilton would be perfect. It'll be 3 Kings meet Hogan's Heroes. Sort of a Wacky Zany follow up with bed screen electocians and a great laugh track.... eyes popping out Tex Avery style
Gotta Go ....must write script....

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
THREE KINGS is one of those films that was kind of overlooked by the general public, but is now more relevant than ever. Think I'll watch it again tonight. Thanks, Phil!

Joshua_Y

Screenwriter
I watched it again a couple of days ago...wow...I forgot what an excellent and funny film it is...:emoji_thumbsup: Very relevant...

chung_sotheby

Supporting Actor
Yeah, I really thought that Three Kings was a great movie. One of the top 1/3 of movies that came out in 1999, which really was a banner year for creativity and daring in the film industry.
That being said, it is too bad that David O. Russell really burned his bridges in Hollywood because of his numerous fights with George Clooney on the set. His two previous movies were fantastic, and since Clooney is the Big Man on Campus in Hollywood, it has taken a good long while for Russell to get his next movie made. But the cast for his next movie, I Love Huckabee's, looks incredible.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I also revisited this one again recently and I absolutely consider it one of the best modern war flicks ever made. Seriously. What a brave and ballsy and smart and funny movie this is.

Great cast. Some exciting sequences that don't devolve into the 'popcorn' variety. A phenomenal soundtrack. Clooney at his best.

When Wahlberg orders Jonze to get the ass map, absently tossing off lines about 'chain of command' you can't help but love this movie.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
I did the same Scott (probably a lot of us are) and I agree. I had forgotten just how lively and creative the script and direction were for this film. Right there with Catch-22 or MASH IMO. It covers issues from multiple points of view (refreshing in films that tackle such topics) and keeps the emotions rather complex, yet it lays all of that under the veneer of a basic action film. It's a great accomplishment I think.

I'd also call it Ice Cube's best work yet.

I will say that it's also a very different viewing with the new war going on.

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
Good points all, Seth.

This is easily one of my all-time favorite war films and I suspect its reputation and popularity will improve as years go by.

Michael*K

Screenwriter
That's an outstanding article on one of the most underrated films I've ever seen. A great film! :emoji_thumbsup:

I love the whole movie. Perhaps the biggest laugh I had was when they're struggling to take the gold out...Cube is talking about the tensilary strength of the Vuitton suitcases and Wahlberg says in a deadpan manner to a confused Clooney, "He works at an airport, sir."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks