Three Faces of Eve (1957) (Blu-ray) Available for Preorder

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Ronald Epstein, Sep 13, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    XenForo Template

79552_large.jpg

Thank you for supporting HTF when you preorder using the link below.  If you are using an adblocker you will not see link.  

2. Matt Hough

Matt Hough Executive Producer
    Reviewer

Matt Hough
    Wow! This is the first I'm hearing about this release! Excellent!

3. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    I love the look of 'Scope in monochrome, and always wanted to see this picture with its native framing (shot by the great Stanley Cortez).

Somehow I missed this one on DVD, but am now glad that I did. Already pre-ordered!

4. Dick

Dick Producer
    Supporter

Rick
    I agree with you - for black and white my favorite ratio if 2.35:1. Oddly, I prefer 1.66:1 for color. Weird that way.

5. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Although the actors are grouped tightly in the middle of the frame, thus requiring no panning or scanning (which is how I saw this scene on network TV back in the 60s), just look at what is gained emotionally by the inclusion of their shadows on the wall(s):

[​IMG]

Coincidentally, I re-watched TT's Blu-ray of The Wayward Bus this week with the commentary on (highly recommended, at least once), and was similarly struck by how much of the heavy lifting a well composed monochrome 'Scope frame can do for story and character.

Many of these late-50s Adler developed Fox dramas seemed to be continually walking on egghells so as not to run afoul of the Breen Office. And yet with a keen eye for lighting and composition, directors of that era still managed to get their more 'adult' points across...in many respects, more elegantly than during the explicit Code-smashing 60s which followed.

So black & white at 2.35:1 seems unique to the mid-50s through mid-60s...in fact, I'm at a loss to think of any native monochrome studio 'A' pictures wider than 1.85:1 after that*.

* Maybe some Indie/Foreign films?

Brent Reid and Persianimmortal like this.
  6. Mark-P

Mark-P Producer

Mark Probst
    As I'm a bit of a Black & White 'Scope enthusiast, I can name a few post-1960s titles:
    Manhattan (1979)
    The Elephant Man (1980)
    Girl on the Bridge (1999)
    and
    Control (2007)

7. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    The Three Faces of Eve
    Joanne Woodward brought home a Best Actress Oscar® for her unforgettable portrayal of a woman with multiple personality disorder. Woodward plays Eve White, a troubled housewife who begins seeing a psychiatrist. Under hypnosis, Eve’s two additional personalities are revealed: a vamp and an independent sophisticate — but curing her will require a probe into her disturbing past.
    Special Features ● Theatrical Feature Blu-ray ● Commentary by Aubrey Solomon ● Fox Movietone News: Academy Awards ● Theatrical Trailer
    The Three Faces of Eve Blu-ray Street Date: November 5, 2013 Prebook Date: October 9, 2013 Screen Format: Widescreen: 2.35:1 Audio: English DTS-HD Master Audio 1.0 English Dolby Digital 2.0 Spanish Dolby Digital 1.0 Subtitles: English, French, Spanish Total Run Time: 92 minutes Closed Captioned: Yes

Ockeghem likes this.
  8. ROclockCK

ROclockCK Screenwriter
    Supporter

Steve
    Thanks Mark. I forgot Elephant Man and Manhattan were that wide.

But still, not exactly a bounty of 'Scope in monochrome post '60s. Probably excluded by a clause in the contracts now.

9. RolandL

RolandL Producer

Roland Lataille
    I wonder if this was released in four-track sound as were most CinemaScope films of the 1950's. Is Joe Caps around?

10. Stephen PI

Stephen PI Supporting Actor

I think it was released in mono, "Desk Set" was another.

11. Lromero1396

Lromero1396 Supporting Actor

I was under the impression that Eve was a stereo film. Joe Caps has mentioned on a few occasions that it was stereo, but on one occasion mentioned it was mono. Desk Set for sure was always mono.
    What is the purpose of the DD 2.0? Commentary? Or just a needless lossy track like on A Letter to Three Wives? I'm pretty confused, can anyone weigh in on this?