What's new

Three Colors: Canadian version - anything I should be wary of? (1 Viewer)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Just received this today, and before I open it, since it's from Alliance Atlantis...any disappointments compared to the U.S. version? Thanks for any info, the package outside is totally uninformative as to content format.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Has nobody else bought this?? I have found absolutely *no* info on the web about this release. Dealers don't even have pictures of the individual discs, never mind the package. The AA site is useless for info too. If AA had a half-decent record I wouldn't be concerned, but it seems almost every disc I get from them has "issues".

The package has info on the disc contents, which *seems* identical to the U.S. release, but no info as to the transfer or sound. Normally I would say "OK", everything's fine, but as an experienced AA purchaser I know better...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I have the Alliance version and they look identical to the US version in terms of extras. Also, all 3 are anamorphic with a Dolby 2.0 track.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Thanks Tom. It seems to be very difficult to get info on Canadian versions of DVD's (especially AA) in general, unless the Canadian release is somehow superior to the U.S. release and it gets widely reviewed. Unfortunately, what I really want to know is when the Canadian release is inferior, the more common case when there's a difference.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
My Alliance DVD of it has all the specs listed on the back of the box set for each disc... they meshed completely with the US ones.. so I bought it!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The thing is I didn't want to open the box set JIC, the discs aren't individually wrapped inside it...too hard to return. The set box has no format info itself. It would be nice if AA got their product site working, would make things easier for everybody.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Amazon.ca screwed up my order for this set, so it is only shipping today. Can't help you out yet.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
I got mine online too (A&B), if I had known it was an AA release (my fault there) I would have asked all this beforehand... The box is different than the U.S. one, which got my antenna up. No dealer has a pic of this particular box up.

[OT, but you might know: I also got an Austin Powers IMOM disc and it has a different picture on the cover than any I've seen anywhere on the web. I'm wondering if this slight difference is how to distinguish the "repaired" version of this disc, since it's the same UPC as this disc has always had from AA. I think the cover is dated 2002, which should mean the fixed version. Nobody I've asked knows for sure, most people bought this disc a long time ago...]

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor

^ As I said, I have the Alliance version but the box art looks the same except for the studio logos and the additional French.

Alliance:

Note: that orange Alliance logo is a sticker on the wrapping.

US:

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Colour rules!! :D

I wouldn't worry about it. It's not like AA made their own set as in the case of The Fast Runner or The Straight Story.

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
Could you scan the back cover of the Canadian version of the box. I'm not at home and swear ALL the specs/ format info are listed (thus, you would not have to unwrap it to find out...)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Hi Marc, no audio/video formats on my box, front looks like Tom's. All the content is listed, seems to match the U.S. content, only question is what extras have English subtitles, don't know if that matches the U.S. version. I don't care about that, my French is probably adequate if I play it enough times...

Tom, I didn't doubt you, had already put this set in the "OK pile" this morning...other fish to fry now!

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Unlike some releases, I doubt they would make the extras French only on these. As for the art having French, at least it is proper for this release, unlike most of them.

Is the box just the usual cheap cardboard?

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Some extras are in French, many are in English only. Again, for the French, as with the features, English subtitles aren't specifically mentioned on the outer box...will open it tonight if Tom hasn't reported... The box is the cheapest possible cardboard, but the set costs noticeably less than even two of the discs do at most places.

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
Hey guys. Ok, I just checked out Blue/Bleu. The few French extra features I skimmed through all contain English subtitles. I played the movie from the beginning and only the Miramax logo was shown. This seems to me to be a sign that Alliance did not tamper with the US disc as they will usually insert their own intro if they did.

I haven't had the chance to look through the entire thing yet (let alone red and white), but so far so good. :)

Marc_Savoie

Stunt Coordinator
thanks craig. I must have been going mad.

I do remember that all extras on the Alliance release of the trilogy have an English aspect to themm - be it spoken in English, or subtitled... none of French only

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks