What's new

Three center channels across the front? (1 Viewer)

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
I have a 7.1 setup. In the front, I have some small monitors on stands and a dedicated center channel. Given I have a front projector... I am debating three center channels spaced across the front (below the screen pointing up). Anyone have an opinion on this? This is strictly for HT... for music I have a dedicated system.

Thanks.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Your front three speakers should be spaced across the width of the screen. You don't need 'extra' center speakers. All that will do is screw up the soundstage.

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Mark,

I don't totally agree with Craig on this. What center speaker are you using now? It is possible that it could work well as a L/R speaker pair too.

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
I suppose you could spin this the other way, resulting in a more extended low-end freq response: Use 3 identical mains (bookshelves, towers, whatever) across the front.

The principal is sound, though, either way.

Andrew Pezzo

Second Unit
Some feel having 3 identical speakers in the front is the best way to go. Most dont however since many bookshelf/floorstanding speakers cant be placed on top of a TV. If I could do it I would have 3 identical speakers for the front.

ChrisMcK

Stunt Coordinator
I have three identical bookshelfs across the front it his works best for. Mind you they are not larger bookshelfs. They are cambridge soundworks newton mc300's - sound good to me

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Just to be clear (Craig... I think you misunderstood). I have a 120" screen and a front projector. I run my "LCR" up front with two bookshelves and a center channel (bookshelves to the side... center up front though below the screen).

I am debating using center channel speakers for the "LR" and putting all three below the screen, spread from side to side, the width of the screen. The speakers would be lower profile than bookshelves and floorstanders... and I do not get the problems you get when placing bookshelves on their sides... though some say MTM centers have dispersion problems).

Speakers are Axioms (M3-VP150-M3). I am debating trying vp100-vp150-vp100.

Thanks!

Scott Sabin

Stunt Coordinator
How about (3) M3's, all oriented upright? You might have to place the center one a bit lower to fit under your screen, but the M3's have quite a bit lower freq response than any of the VPs. I think you'd be compromising quite a bit with VP100s for L/R.

Ron_L

Second Unit
get all 3 speakers the same up front. The Timbre matching will be DEAD on. You'll be very happy with the results. I agree with Scott, get another M3 and lose the VP150.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Part of the problem is I already have my subs and tube amps below the screen... there is not enough room to mount the M3's upright (and I find they do not sound very good near a floor boundary)... and for mounting on their sides, the center chennels work better IMHO...

M.

Marc H

Second Unit
Mark, you may not like the VP100Se after being used to the VP150Se. They do sound rather different and my upset your timbre matching.
Why not a pair of M22TiSe instead? They match the VP150Se much better and have a small footprint. That would up your fidelity slightly too over the M3Tise in terms of bass clarity.
Our shop has got all the Axiom speakers on clearout right now if you are looking for deals.

Mark Leitch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Marc... thx for the comments... and I noticed the excellent pricing... if I did it all over again Dahlquist would be pretty tempting (the one thing I overwhelmingly love with the Axioms is the QS8's... seems Dahlquist has a good competitor.. ).

Back to my problem... My screen is perhaps 8 feet wide at the bottom. Below it I have two large subs and a very large tube amp that occupy *all* the space. I am attempting to avoid a floorstander in favor of center channel speakers (the M3's work fine as a floorstander) as I do not have vertical space within the screen area. To the sides of the screen, I am debating doing some "architectural" changes that may render that area off limits. That leaves me with a flat, low profile (say, 10" high) area below the bottom of my screen for my LCR (may be time to post a pic ;-)

M.

Craig Morris

Stunt Coordinator
Yes, evidently I did misunderstand. I thought you wanted 3 center channels across your screen, plus your left and right speakers.

I have no arguments against using 3 identical speakers upfront, regardless of their design.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest posts

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks