What's new

Thoughts on "white glove" delivery service? (1 Viewer)

Jason Hartman

Auditioning
Hi gang,

I may be getting a Toshiba 65" HDTV soon. Has anyone paid extra for the "white glove" or "full service" delivery option vs. just "curb-side" delivery? It's my understanding that the "white glove" service means they'll actually bring it into your house, into your specific room, and unpack the set for you. Anything else like hook-up or basic calibration? I would think not.

How literal is "curb side"? Will they just drop it off on the street or will they at least pull it up into my garage?

Typically, how much extra do you pay for the "white glove" service?

Do you think its worth it to pay the extra fee for full service? (In my case, it wouldn't involve any steps. I live in a 2 story split-foyer and the garage is on the same level as the home-theater room so it would just be a matter of negociating the hallways.)

Thanks for your opinions!

Jason

Bill Will

Screenwriter
If your buying it from a store in your area I'm sure they can answer all your questions & you might even be able to make them bring it into the house for you as a condition of buying the set from them. If your ordering it over the internet I would think that you would be at the the trucking companies mercey so I would find out exactly what curb-side delivery means. I know of people that have had the movers just drop it off on the sidewalk in the pouring rain & that's all they would do except take it back & then you would get hit with another delivery charge when they came back with the set. Yet I've known of other people where they have moved it into the house for them but not unpacked it & I've known of other people who have just said to the movers I'll give you $50 if you move it into the house for me & it's worked. But if I was you & you don't want any legal problems make sure you get everything spelled out ahead of time & in writing unless your willing to chance it.

PeggyManson

Auditioning
ABT Electronics web site has the following information on their white glove delivery - "Shipping method for heavy and oversized items (large TVs, large furniture and appliances) and includes normal delivery plus un-crating, setting your goods in place and removing the packing material. This service does not include installation of any type." At least for the time being, the cost of this is free, credited to your account after an item is ordered.

Peggy

BruceSpielbauer

Second Unit
The term white glove delivery, from what I have seen and read, is a bit of a generic term, which seems to refer to almost anything beyond curbside drop off.

I have read various descriptions of white glove delivery (including the one listed above, from ABT Electronics). I have read some from Internet dealers who offer it for an added price, for example, One Call has this, and you can read the description at their site. They often differ slightly on the details.

I bought from a chain, but it is a chain which is one step up from the Best Buy and Circuit City caliber. The dealer promised unboxing. They promoised locating the set in the room of my choice (assuming it would fit). They also promised a complete "hookup" of all components and signals which were immediately available, and located near to the set. This was all done. They also promised a "calibration." The truth is, the delivery guys were most interested in getting to their next delivery. The so-called "calibration" consisted of hitting the audio/video reset button, and then going into the user menu and converging the colored "Plus" for the colors. This took all of 30 seconds. I am not complaining, as I knew I would do a more accurate and thorough job the instant they left. I actually wanted them to do "less," since I have read so many horror stories of weird occurrences upon delivery. I figured I knew more than these guys probably did, simply based on my reading here and elsewhere.

I think the most important aspect of "white glove' is the fact that THEY are moving it, and if they do any damage, then you have every right to refuse the set, or insist on a replacement, or whatever you wish. You are in a position of control. If you use a curbside level delivery, then YOU are now running some of the risk, and you may have a fight on your hands if something should go wrong.

And, a final thought... you did not indicate if you are looking at Internet web sites to buy a RPTV. I would caution against that, for several reasons. Manufacturers of RPTVs have fought warranty issues when sets were bought over the 'Net ("Sorry, but so and so is not an authorized dealer"). Also, MOST of these dealers will NOT give you a 30 day return policy (no questions asked). If the set is severely damaged or flawed out of the box, and you do not realize it at once, and you accept delivery, then the Internet dealer will simply say "Sorry. Call the manufacturer. It is under warranty." Now, you own that set, even if it happens to turn out be a lemon. This is true even with most VERY respected Internet dealers. They have a no-return policy on all large TVs. Usually, things go okay. But, there is a high degree of risk involved, just the same.

-Bruce in Chi-Town

JerryLA

Stunt Coordinator
I had the option for white glove delivery when I purchased my set from a store in another state. Seems like it was over a hundred dollars more for this service. I live in a remote area and knew this type of delivery would never happen. I agree with Bruce, most of the delivery people I have run into are more interested in gettin on to the next delivery. I had my set delivered to my business since I'm there 10 hours a day. When the set arrived regular delivery, I gave the driver a $20 buck gratuity and he followed me to my house, a short distance away, and helped me wheel it inside. The uncrating process was no biggie. The biggest hassle was having the carton and crating in the side yard until the next garbage pickup. It might have been a different story if the set had been damaged. Personally, I think if I ever buy another set..... I will rent a trailer, and pick the set up myself and take the extra time and effort to make sure it is handled with kid glove care!
Jerry

Paul Rabin

Grip
So what I am reading here is that Best Buy will not deliver the TV to my door or better yet place it in my livingroom?!?!!? I am getting a Sony 51' TV delivered next week....

Josh Lowe

Screenwriter
I'd much prefer having someone carry the TV in for me if it was up or down any stairs.. in my case I was lucky as the TV room is on the ground floor.

John-Miles

Screenwriter
WOW I never realized how good i have it, my local dealer (a small B&M) delivered my set right into my house and put it on my desk, they also promised if the set needs service that they cant do in my house they will pick it up and drop it off when done..... I personally think thats one of the benefits with dealign with a small store not a chain, they want to build up a relationship with the customer, best buy, and larger chains dont care about that.

Randy_T

Stunt Coordinator

Best Buy delivered my 36" Sony. Brought it into my apartment,set it up, and turned it on to make sure it was working correctly.

Randy T

Brent Hutto

Supporting Actor
I paid Circuit City $30 to deliver and set up my 36XBR800 a couple of weeks ago. The two guys who showed up with the TV had obviously been doing it a while. They were very, very careful unboxing it and getting it up the front steps, through a couple of doorways and into the living room. I can't imagine bringing it in and setting it up with a couple of friends helping and not banging it around more than these guys did.

Start to finish they were done in a little over 15 minutes and that included hooking up the component, s-video and audio cables, programming the remote to work with my other gear and running the auto setup thing to select the active cable channels. When they were done, they took all the trash with them.

They were an hour late. They had said "between 2:00 and 5:00" but they called a little before 5:00 and said it would be closer to 6:00. They arrived at 5:50 and were gone by 6:05. That's my only complaint and given that they called I wasn't very upset about it. And all this was on a Saturday afternoon. The truck bringing the TV from Circuit City's warehouse had arrived at the store around 12:30PM that same day, so that's pretty quick service.

Bill Will

Screenwriter
As I said before if your dealing with local outfits & by local outfit I also mean Sears, Best Buy, Circuit City & etc you can find out exactly what they are going to do. If your dealing with a trucking company delivery make sure everything is spelled out in writing & I myself even make the local guys have things in writing. If you have it in writing you've got a legal leg to stand on if something goes wrong.

Brian O

Second Unit
Anyone have any experience with Onecalls delivery service? I am about ready to pull the trigger on a RPTV.

EugeneR

Second Unit
I got my RPTV delivered from OneCall and got the free curbside delivery. The driver helped me lug it upstairs (it wouldn't fit into the elevator) up a narrow staircase to the second floor, which was a real pain, let me tell you. So, it all depends on luck.
I felt really bad because I didn't have any cash on me. :frowning:The guy really deserved a nice tip.

Carlos-R

Auditioning
I bought a Toshiba 42" from Best Buy. Delivery was free as a condition of my buying the set. It was delivered to my living room in the exact spot I asked, and they took the packaging materials with them. I don't believe I was given "white glove" delivery at purchase, but from what I've read that's practically what they gave me.

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Got my 2 sets from OneCall, one curbside for a 61" and one "white glove" for a 65". The latter cost me another $100 but I really needed the help because of the nature of our house which wasn't the same for the former.

Adrian Finol

Auditioning
I just bought a Panasonic PT47WX42 3 days ago from Circuit City. The shipping was free and they were right on time with the delivery (they said between 12:00 and 2:30, they came at 1:00). They were really fast and knew what they were doing, came in, put the TV where I wanted it connected my DVD player to test it and programmed the control to work with it.
Maybe this is not allowed on this forum, but I want to recommend Circuit City to ANYONE who's going to buy a TV.
The TV we bought has a weird spot in the middle, I can't tell what it is, but it's there. You can see it from certain angles. So any ways, I noticed that last night, while playing the first movie on the set (Shrek :)) and I decided to call up this morning and see what can be done.
I called up and surprise, they said that if they had the same model in stock, they would replace it right away. They forwarded me to one of the tech guys and he said he would send the same guys tomorrow to pick up my TV and drop off a new one, no questions asked.
Now, I don't know if this is cause I bought the service plan, or if this is their normal policy, but either way. I was more than surprised. Everything was resolved in less than 20 minutes. And they didn't (or aren't since they are coming tomorrow) leave me without a TV for a sec.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks