What's new

Thoughts on Vizio 50" plasma (1 Viewer)

RyanJE

Second Unit
Im looking for a 50" tv for under 1800 and this looks like a good deal. Any thoughts? Opinions. It doesnt have to be plasma either. I want best bang for buck here.

MikeDE

Second Unit
I'm curious about these, too. Circuit City has them on sale for about $1600, which seems like a good deal for 50" plasma.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Some pretty good reviews at cnet & at The Perfect Vision. I also think the cabinetry looks fabulous in that glossy black. Great value too.

David_p_S

Grip
If it looks anything like my friends recently purchased from costco 40" visio plasma, I would go take a good hard look at it in the store before putting your money down. I was not impressed with the 40", even with hd content.

In it's defense, it was tnt-hd playing older movies on a compressed cable hd signal, and I'm sure it could use some adjustment tweaking. I didn't have the heart to tell him I thought it looked bad, but I did offer to bring over my video essentials.

So I'm not saying don't buy it, but I am saying make sure you absolutely demo it a bit before you decide. Unless you're getting it from costco where you don't have to worry about returns too much.

King Jeff

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jeff Beber
I have the Vizio 50" Plasma for about a year, and it's been doing well. It only goes up to 1080i, which is pretty much the only reason I'm looking to upgrade. I have the Xbox 360 HD-DVD player hooked up to it and whatever it plays looks amazing, and so do the videogames.

I have HD Cable and it looks pretty good, but it doesn't compare to the HD-DVD's. Do be wary of the burn-in though, if you play a videogame for hours and hours at a time, be prepared for some temporary burn in. I tried hooking up my Xbox 360 to it with a VGA (the port on the tv was marked RGB) and I wasn't really impressed. So I just left it with the Component cables cause it looks fine.

One thing that is a hassle is that over the past year, someone jammed something in on of the ports for the component cables so only one set of them works, and I have to constantly switch them out between the 360, the cable, and the Wii. I do have an upconverting DVD player hooked up via HDMI and that looks awesome too.

My advice: buy it at Costco, or somewhere else that you can return it no matter what. Just in case.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks