What's new

Thoughts on OLED? (1 Viewer)

Chiefmfg

Auditioning
Real Name
Karen
Hi all,

I'm very intrigued by the new organic LED (OLED) flat screen technology. The picture looks pretty amazing and the screens are incredibly thin, but I was wondering what other people thought about it. Is this really the next big thing in flat panel TVs?

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

About the next big thing as plasma was 10 years ago. Flat TV ... nice ... $20000 ... not so nice.

11 inches ... looks nice ... $2500 price tag ... not so nice. A 27" one in the $10K range ... it's plasma all over again.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Perhaps in 5 years, the stuff will get down to a point where people seriously look at it. And don't forget it's weaknesses right now too. Relatively short life span compared to LCD and Plasma. About 25% as long. Also has burn in issues so in many ways behaves like a plasma.

Regards

Leo Kerr

Screenwriter
Michael TLV -

have you seen one of the FET displays? I'm curious about what your opinion is from your perspective.. (I saw one at NAB this April, and heard that they had also been at.... HPA? Or was it SigGraph?)

Leo

cmstn

Auditioning
Real Name
charles
The CES 2012 show was dominated by the Organic Light Emitting Diode TV (oled). It showed promise by LG and Samsung to really take hold this year. Just as you said "the picture quality is great", It really is. Because it's made of organic material (live), it previously had a life span of about 5 years. I'm not sure if they have made this better but, most people get a new TV by then anyway. Nothing today compares to the picture quality, and again, at the CES show, it dominated the crowds.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks