What's new

Thoughts on Extended Warranty (Sony SXRD models) (1 Viewer)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
My brother is looking to buy a new TV and he is looking at the SONY 60" SXRD: KDS-60A2000 - We were at a bunch of stores and (obviously) all of the sales guys want to sell the extended warranty.

Now I never get extended warranties and most of the stuff that this guy was saying was pretty "Used Car Salesman"'ish

Most of the stuff he was saying was pretty routine B.S., but the only thing that concerned me was the bulb replacement. He said the bulb should last 5 years, but if it did go out, that this place would personally send someone out to replace it (which is covered in the warranty). Now the warranty is for 5 years and my question is this...

Is the warranty worth it? The warranty is $350 and that just seems insane! But considering this TV isn't just a standard LCD, I am concerned that my brother MAY need the warranty.

Thoughts? Will the bulb go dead before the 5 years is up? and if he doesn't get the warranty, is it a bitch to replace them yourself? I know the bulbs are expensive, but they can't be any more expensive than the $350 warranty....and if my brother goes through more than 2 bulbs in 5 years...well, then there's a bigger problem on our hands at that point. ;)

Michael TLV

THX Video Instructor/Calibrator
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Chen
Greetings

considering all the green blob issues the SXRD sets are dealing with these days, an extended warranty would be recommended. The only fix is an engine swap out and it costs considerably more than a bulb.

Regards

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Michaeal...

yeah, I was reading about the green blob issue, but the one we are looking at is the 2nd generation. Most of the issues were with the SXRD1 models and they were saying that they were replacing these sets with the SXRD2 models. Hopefully that means that SONY's fixed the issue, but they might be too new to get any real feedback at this point.

but I'll probably have him get the warranty anyways, just in case.

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer
The bulb is user replaceable, instructions are in the owner's manual and it doesn't look at all difficult. Full bore retail from Sony for the bulb is $250.

Sony offers extended warranties for much less money than most retailers, but bulb replacement is not included. You can go to the Sonystyle website to get the warranty terms and the 800 number to call to purchase the wty. They will sell you the warranty regardless of where you purchased the set but you must get the wty within 60 days of purchasing the set. They will want the model and serial numbers (on a label on the back of the tv) as well as the place of purchase and purchase price.

Given the very high costs of repair out of warranty an extended warranty even at $350 will probably pay for itself if you need only one service call.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I'd kick myself if he didn't get it and then got into a serious issue that cost too much to fix. I'm going to let him make the judgement call. The more I thought about it, and from some responses here, it sounds like he should just bite the bullet and get it just for the security (if anything).

The guy at Bernies (not sure if it's national enough for you guys to know it) said that they have a full refund of the warranty for up to a year, so if my brother decides he doesn't want it, he has a year to get a refund. I guess that's not too bad.

Patrick, thanks for the link - unfortunately the SONY section doesn't list any bulbs.

SethH

Senior HTF Member
Is it normal for bulb replacement to be covered in the warranty? If not, I would want to see that in writing.

I've found this thread interesting just because I have seen several extended warranty threads on this forum in the past few years and I think this is the first one I've seen where most people were leaning toward getting the warranty.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I rolled the dice on my last RPTV purchase, and now it's been over 4 years, and I would have lost money have I gotten the warranty, but I've been looking for a new TV, and I'm pretty sure I will be getting the extended warranty if it's reasonable, like 15% (or less) of purchase price for 4 years or more of coverage. There is also the option of getting a Mack warranty.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
With all of the problems I've heard about these new TV's (i.e. bad color wheels in DLP's, Green Blob effect, bad pixels in flat panel TV's, etc. etc.) the warranty is sounding like something that you might have to start considering.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I can't ever recall buying any piece of technology over $2,000 (even $1,000) before. When I was buying $300 Tube TV's, that $50 warranty seemed pretty pointless...but I guess if you're going to spend $3,000, that $350 might be worth the security alone.

I just hope (if my brother does get it from Bernies) that he never has an issue with the warranty. I can see it now...

Service Guy:
Did you make sure the set was never on for more than 2 hours at a time? If it was, that voids the warranty...

Did you vacuum it out every 2 weeks? If not, that voids the warranty...

Did you put out a plate of cookies for the projection farries every night? If not, that voids the warranty...

;)

Brian D H

Second Unit

Not necessarily.....

(Whispering while twirling mustache) "OK, here's what you do: You buy a couple of burned out bulbs from ebay for like, 2 bucks each, and put one in your set every 6 months or so. Then you call in on your warranty and get two bulbs covered for the price of a $350 warranty!" :D

Don't listen to me.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
LOL!

I can see you lurking outside the window with the top hat and cape (like Peter Griffin's evil twin brother): "N'yah! My plan has gone off perfectly!"

Steve Schaffer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Schaffer

Sears will also refund the full warranty price if you cancel within the first year, and they cover lamp replacement. I was talking to a Sears tv repair tech the other day and he mentionned that light engines (or what Sony calls the Optical Block) typically cost $1200 to 1500 just for the part.

TVs are getting to be like cars as far as parts costs. On a Toyota Camry the power seat motors are not available separately, one must purchase the entire seat bottom frame assembly at a cost of over $1200 if one of the 3 motors fails.

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
The green blob issue with SXRD sets is overblown in my opinion, especially with sets made after the middle of last year.

Pretty much everyone who has experienced the problem did so within a month or two of buying their set. The SXRDs have a one-year warranty, which should be sufficient. Any potential problems should show up well before that.

And yes, the bulbs are easily user-replaceable.

(I have a KDS-50A2000, with a December 2006 build date, and have had no problems with it.)

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Well, thanks for all the responses, but my brother did end up going with the warranty. The guy gave him a deal on a stand, so I guess it kind of worked out in the end.

My brother is also the type that feels better, knowing he has the warranty rather than taking his chances without it.

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
er Ken...I am not sure you know what you are talking about? Do you have a professional perspective?

I have seen it on almost all of the 1st gen SXRDs that I have worked on and have also seen it on some of the 2nd gen stuff.

If you "need" an SXRD GET the extra warranty. If you dont need an SXRD...stay very far away from the technology.

regards

Gregg

Ken Seeber

Supporting Actor
No, I don't have a "professional" perspective, but please don't be condescending just because we have a difference of opinion --- especially when that difference seems to be not all that different.

As you rightly point out, the green blob did plague first-generation SXRDs, but it has been less of an issue with second-generation sets. I sought out the opinions of dozens of SXRD owners on various user forums and, although my information is anecdotal, it seems like the problem has dwindled in later builds. Sony has now moved on to a new model year; it's too soon to tell whether that will make a difference or not.

But to the topic at hand, I stand by my statement that people who experienced the green blob did so within weeks of buying their sets --- a month or two at most. And that means the factory warranty was more than sufficient to take care of replacing the optical block.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SaladinNagasawa
Recent bookmarks