What's new

Thoughts on Buffy: Season 2 (1 Viewer)

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
Argh! After picking up the set on release day last month, I've finally gotten around to really watching it straight through (I'd watched a few eps here and there, such as the ones with commentary). Unfortunately, I've discovered a problem with the first disk: on the "Some Assembly Required" ep, the episode will not play beyond chapter 12. It locks up a few seconds into that chapter and kicks you back to chapter 1, and if you try to skip past it the disk freezes up altogether. At first I was worried that it was a problem with my player but after trying it in my dvd-rom I got the exact same problem (and after checking the disk physically, I did notice some odd distortion on the surface of the disk, for what that's worth). The other problem I'm having is that after moving a couple of weeks ago, I seem to have lost the receipt for the set, which I got from Best Buy. Can I still get a replacement disk from them, or if not will Fox trade me for a new one?

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I am still surprised to see people complaining about the film quality of S2 disks (and S1, for that matter). I mean, golly...this is a 16mm production shot on a shoestring budget for a flagging netlet that is barely watched by anyone. I mean, there are kids shooting college films on bigger budgets. And they had to do it 22 times! This is where the great commentary makes sense. Part of me didn't WANT to know all the nitty gritty, but then it was amazing to realize that S1, all the school shots in the hallway use one tiny little hall. I didn't realize how much of the show was shot in a warehouse vs. a state of the art studio. Having worked on stage for a time, I was used to seeing and taking shortcuts on visual effects knowing that they wouldn't read past the first row. It was part of the magic. I just always assumed that TV just "did it" and it worked. It never dawned on me that they were cutting corners and so on just the same. Too cool. I like the look of the show, grit and all. Many of the horror movies that so inspired some of the scenes, monsters, etc. looked no different. I know it was the budgetary limitations, but for me, it worked just fine.

Gosh, this is good stuff...

Phil

Robert Ringwald

Senior HTF Member
I agree about the quality, most people who review the discs say "They're certainly no better than broadcast quality."
I think a better choice of words would be, "No better than the broadcast masters." because WB never had very good picture quality on their channel. Seriously, these discs look fantastic compared to what I used to have to watch. :)

Rob Lutter

Senior HTF Member
I am having a problem with my Buffy: S2 set. In the first 5 and last 5 minutes of disc 4, the disc locks up and I have to jump to the next chapter to get 'er going again. This annoys me :D (I am missing at least a couple seconds of Buffy goodness). I bought this set on street date and I am past the window to return it... uh, what would be the best way to replace my defective disc? :)
(right now I am thinking Wal-Mart ;) )

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Not to revive an old discussion of picture quality, but bear with me--it's a little different angle: it seemed to me that the picture on the R2 season 1 set was much superior to the R1 season 2 set. Is that just a result of PAL resolution being slightly higher? Or did the PQ drop a bit in season 2 (which no one here seems to have asserted)? Or am I just delusional with Buffy goodness?

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Resurrecting an old thread here, so to speak...

I took the plunge and blind bought Buffy Seasons 1-4 (also Angel Season 1) in August. Finally got around to starting the series. Season 1 was cool-a lot of fun, and definitely better than your average first season TV.

But Season 2, damn did they turn it up a notch! I just finished it last week, and I was really impressed by the level of intensity in the performances and the dialogue. I'm about to start Season 3-can't wait.

And on the PQ, I also noticed that the picture started looking much better int he second half of the season. There were only a handful of spots where I said to myself "That looks really grainy". These will definitely get repeat viewing...

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
Welcome to the fold, Andrew.

I think season 2 was my favorite Buffy. But, in MY opinion (there are those who would dispute it), everything through season 5 is great television. My order of preference: 2, 3, 1, 5, 4, 6, 7.

I'm pretty sure there is a thread in the TV forum that has a lot of discussion on the relative merits of each season.

-Scott

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Thanks for the info Scott!
Martin: Yes it is very reckless!:D
I'm the impulsive type. I figured that if I didn't like them I could sell them easily since it is such a popular show. However based on the overwhelmingly positive feedback from many HTF'ers, I didn't feel like it was a big risk. I did the same thing with Babylon 5 and love that too so far (just finished Season 1). I also bought both seasons of 24 blind, and both those were also well worth it.
So I guess you could say it was an "informed" recklessness...

Scott_F_S

Second Unit
Nice choice, Andrew. You won't regret it. A ton of replay value here, enough to keep you busy for, oh, eight or nine months or so.

And you still don't have one of the best of all the Angel/Buffy R1 sets. Angel S2 is right up there with S2 and S3 of Buffy, IMO.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Actually Scott, I just picked up Angel S2 yesterday since Best Buy was having 20% of Fox boxsets through the website only. I'll be viewing side by side with Buffy S5 in December.

Just watched the first 3 episodes of Season 3-still kickin' ass! Can't believe I didn't check it out before.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
Season 3 of Buffy is the best season. It's downhill after that, with season 5 being the last season I would call good. Season 6 has a few good eps, but overall is flawed. Season 7 is just outright horrible.

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
It's downhill after that, with season 5 being the last season I would call good. Season 6 has a few good eps, but overall is flawed. Season 7 is just outright horrible.
As a big fan of seasons 4 and 5 (though not as good as 3), I'd say Andrew should watch all of the seasons before he decides they suck.
I recently watched all of Season 7 for the first time, and I actually liked it! When I was going through all of the old posts on the Buffytastic thread I thought that there must have been something wrong with me :D
Season 6 is my least favorite of the bunch, only because it's dark. I can see why it's dark, and it does have a few great episodes, I'd just rather watch 2, 3, or 4.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks