What's new

Thoughts on Boxset consolidation! (1 Viewer)

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I've been thinking lately, "What can I do to save some space?", and there obvious things that I can do, but also some things that manufacturers can do, and I wanted to see what thoughts others had on this issue.

Warner is not only keeping me broke with their constant barrage of incredible boxsets, but they're now running me out of my house (They're piled everywhere!):D

When it comes to consolidation, there are basically four methods. (I ordered these Favorite to Least Favorite)
  • Slim Multi-Disc Cases
    The Ideal solution for 2 disc sets (IMHO)
  • Gatefolds
    I like Gatefold for shelf saving purposes, but it has obvious drawbacks, (Especially for 3+ Discs)and many people detest them for this very reason. It seems like these have been relegated to TV releases.
  • Thin Cases
    I also like this option, but the obvious drawback is the ability to read the title information on such a skinny spine. These also seem to have been relegated to TV releases.
  • Multiple Titles on the same disc
    This is my least favorite option. I prefer to have one title per disc for several reasons ranging from convenience to A/V quality.

Some people go to great lengths to re-package their discs in thin cases or multi-disc cases to save shelf space, but the purpose of this post is to try and give some thoughts to the manufacturers about what we (as consumers) like best.

The question that I pose is two-fold?
  1. What are your preferences and why?
  2. How would you package things differently using the above options (or even new options) to save space.[/list=1]

Personally, I would like to see themed boxsets such as WB's Marx Brothers or the upcoming Thin Man box use multi-disc cases inside the box. As I already stated, I prefer a seperate disc for each title, but why not put two discs in each case, thus cutting the box size in half. I think this works much better in the cases that I've mentioned than in others (i.e. Errol Flynn Box, Controversial Classics) where the theme isn't as evident (IMHO). One obvious drawback to this scenario is losing the Incredible artwork that WB gives us, but I can't really come up with any others.

Your thoughts?

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I like the slim cases you typically see on the TV releases. They hold the disc fine, you can still have great cover art, and it's more conveniant to lend a disc out to a friend who only wants to borrow part of a box set, as opposed to the whole thing. the tiny spine is really a quible, just display it on your shelf with the box side out.

But if switching to slim cases means a higher price point for production cost, than please keep wrapping the standard cases in a box.

I'd like to see flipper discs abolished. I'd rather have 2 single sided DVDs. Out of 500+ titles, I can safley say that 95% of any problem discs I have had have been flippers, and mostly from Universal Studios. Universals DVD plant should be f**kin' burned to the ground! I had to replace each Monster legacy box set, single release wave 2, and the abbott and costello vol 1 set at least 2 time EACH to get a copy that would work. (and the problem where not player related, as they skipped on the layer change on my PC, X-BOx, Panasonic and Sony players.)

ChrisPearson

Second Unit
I have the same space problems (1-bed flat with an already large book and CD collection), but nevertheless still prefer the most practical and stylish approach to packaging wherever possible; that is, keepcases with one film to a case for easy identification and individual artwork. I think thincases are best for boxed sets of TV series as you only have one "title", ie it's all Seinfeld, The Honeymooners or whatever, so don't really need to be able to read the spine.

I agree with what you say about flippers, Russell, although it seems to be only Universal discs that have problems (them again!). Even though my Hanna-Barbera flippers from Warner haven't caused me trouble, when I handle them I still worry that they'll be damaged in some way.

Steve...O

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve
My growing (soon to be enormous) collection of Warners box sets is definitely causing some storage problems.

I would love to see them start packaging their boxes in slim line cases. The beautiful covers featuring poster art would be preserved and space would be saved.

As Mr. Harris pointed out in his thread about....I Love Lucy there does exist a case style which enables titles can be read easily on the spines.

Two titles on one disc are ok if we're talking movies of 75 minutes or less. I would suspect (hope) that Warners may try this approach (along with slim line packaging) with their upcoming Bowery Boys sets. I shudder to think I may have to find yet more room to house 48 full size cases.

Steve

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
I vote for Slim Cases. The spines are still easy to read, heck 20 pt type fits on the spines. So if anyone is having trouble seeing the titles on slim case spines that may be the fault of the graphic artist more than the case itself.

Thomas T

Senior HTF Member
I want full keepcases for each individual titles. Sure, it's taking space on my shelves but if that's the worst problem I have to deal with in my life, I'm a lucky man.

There's a reason Warners is King of DVD, they've got style and class and their handsome box sets packaged with individual titles are a clue why. I don't want the original cover art on the box with multiple films in one keepcase. for one thing, those boxes are the second thing that goes in the trash after the shrink wrap. When I pick up a DVD I want to see the original cover art on the DVD, not on a box.

Don't listen to these guys, Warners. You guys are purrfect.

Matt Stieg

Stunt Coordinator
I don't mind slim cases for TV show releases, if and only if they are packaged in a box set with an outer slip cover (a la Seinfeld). I don't like them simply being packaged in a box like, say, The Honeymooners. Other than that, I really just don't like the way slim cases look, and I hope they never replace keep cases as the standard.

As for putting more than one movie on a disc, I don't have a problem with that just as long as they don't exceed four hours total.

Mikya

Grip
I recently received the Ealing Comedy Collection in slim cases with a slip cover. I'm not wild about the slim cases for movies. The Ealing slip cover didn't even identify the movies on the spine, which would have made it a bit more acceptable. I do, however, keep all my tv dvds in individual slim cases, regardless of original packaging.

I recently ordered a few new media racks that will hold up to 610 or so individual keepcases. If they work out well, I'll order a few more and keep adding as the studios give me reason. That's my space solution, but then I have a little room to grow.

Sebastien S

Second Unit
I like the "thin cases" and find they protect better as they hold the disc firmly with no where to move.

Don Peskin

Stunt Coordinator
I go for slim cases like those in the Charmed season 1 box-set. They take up the same space as a gatefold case without the hassle getting to the disc you want.

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
I'm still a big fan of the digipak designs. The artwork and such that they allow make the presentation seem more special. With that concept applied to a box set in the manner of The Matrix it can save tremendous space yet still looks really nice. But space aside the visual impact of something like The Lord of the Rings Extended Cuts side-by-side is tough to beat.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks