What's new

Blu-ray Review Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by iDarren /t/322142/those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-blu-ray-review#post_3946888
I have heard a few complaints that the image is a little to dark and detail is lost in some scenes.

I have no complaints at all. I did not find the image dark nor was any detail lost. I did read that that this is 2009 HD transfer from 65mm elements.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
56888386_fly.jpeg

Of course the picture looks fine.

Though the blacks are a bit dark - as you can see (from the screen shot at Blu-ray .com) the area above Stuart Whitman's head turns into a black mass, the image below has been lighted to reveal some more information - but not much. A 70MM presentation should have more information shouldn't it? I don't know?

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
f9dc175c_BennyHill.jpeg

you can see in the lighten version what's inside the doorway while the top image (unlighted) looks like it was shot through smoked glass - maybe it was, I'm not qualified to say how the film was shot, but it does look like the scene was filmed during the day in natural light

Of course lightening the image takes away from the other elements and washes out the color and the blacks are too light - so maybe you can't have both ways. I was wondering if there was a compromise in the transfer process that's all

anyway - it's just a minor point

Doctorossi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Schuyler
GMpasqua said:
Of course lightening the image takes away from the other elements and washes out the color and the blacks are too light - so maybe you can't have both ways.
That certain detail may be present in the exposure does not necessarily mean that it was meant to be seen.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by Doctorossi /t/322142/those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-blu-ray-review#post_3947026
That certain detail may be present in the exposure does not necessarily mean that it was meant to be seen.

You may be right

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Those screen caps do not, in any way, approximate the quality of the picture I see when I watch the movie.
One is too dark, one is too light. My picture quality is clear, bright and sharp as a tack.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
I have to agree with Virgoan on this. Those caps do not look anything like what I am seeing, which is more or less in the middle between the two caps.

GMpasqua

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Originally Posted by ahollis /t/322142/those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-blu-ray-review#post_3947131
I have to agree with Virgoan on this. Those caps do not look anything like what I am seeing, which is more or less in the middle between the two caps.
Well, this is good to hear.

haineshisway

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bruce
ahollis said:
I have to agree with Virgoan on this.  Those caps do not look anything like what I am seeing, which is more or less in the middle between the two caps. 
Well, that's caps for you. The people at that site swear by them, of course, and judge everything ONLY based on them. There is nothing dark in this transfer. You can lighten anything, so what? And the people at blu-ray.com are the weirdest anywhere - I don't know that the majority ever actually purchase a disc - they're much more content to criticize based on screen caps.
MattH's review is right on the money and it's nice to see a review written by someone not trying to play all sides of the road, wherein the reviewers say things like "IF DNR was applied it wasn't with a heavy hand" or just equivocating all over the place, trying to hedge their bets in case the transfer comes in for criticism. It doesn't get much better than this transfer.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Originally Posted by haineshisway /t/322142/those-magnificent-men-in-their-flying-machines-blu-ray-review/30#post_3947256
MattH's review is right on the money and it's nice to see a review written by someone not trying to play all sides of the road, wherein the reviewers say things like "IF DNR was applied it wasn't with a heavy hand" or just equivocating all over the place, trying to hedge their bets in case the transfer comes in for criticism. It doesn't get much better than this transfer.

Thank you, Bruce. I was very impressed with every aspect of the visual presentation. I should have mentioned this in the review, but when I saw James Fox's brilliantly red military jacket tied with a red sash-like belt that was a different shade of red, and both shades co-existing nicely with one another and not bleeding or blending together, I knew I was looking at a masterful transfer. It was also so clean that one would never suspect this film came out almost half a century ago.

TheVid

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Gary Vidmar
This blu-ray is definitely MAGNIFICENT! After THE EGYPTIAN, this is my favorite Twilight Time title so far, although BYE BYE BIRDIE is going to give it a run for its money.
I haven't watched COVER GIRL yet, but no doubt that's going to be a Technicolor tour de force! I'm waiting for my import blu-ray version of FUNNY FACE and having a double feature.
It's been a great summer so far for Twilight Time afficionados!

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
I finally watched this. It seems a bit dark to me. I particularly noticed that the whites were quite murky.

Did anybody else observe the bad video glitch at 1.26.27 on their disk? The image breaks up for a second.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
iDarren said:
It's there, I have confirmed it with other viewers (via their own disks).
Just looked at the time code you gave and do not see any glitch. Went back to 1:25 and watched to 1:28 and still did not see a glitch.

iDarren

Stunt Coordinator
ahollis said:
Just looked at the time code you gave and do not see any glitch. Went back to 1:25 and watched to 1:28 and still did not see a glitch.
It is def there. At least 2 other disk owners have spotted it.

It is at the party, just as the character walks past/behind the wooden column.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
iDarren said:
It is def there. At least 2 other disk owners have spotted it. It is at the party, just as the character walks past/behind the wooden column.
I know the last night party with press. I don't see it. For you it's there, for me it's not. Not much else to say.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Found it.

Pause the film at 1:26:26 and move frame by frame till it changes to 1:26:27. Now move 14 frames, and there's one that's totally pixellated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks