What's new

This stinks , Im very mad (SuperBit) (1 Viewer)

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
With the very much anticipated Superbit movies coming out this Tuesday, I have felt strugle. I (like most of you), allready have most of these movies and I cant buy them again.
I allready have Fifth Element, Air Force One, and CTHD. I will buy Desperado.
tongue.gif
I dont want Johnny Mnemonic, I didnt care much for it.
But my dad doesnt like rebuying movies, I cant get them. I still have the Live release of T2. (I want that UE!)
This sucks. FE was the very first movie I bought on dvd and has been put to much use. Same goes for AFO.
I want these re-releases!
furious.gif

------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

HectorB

Auditioning
I don't want to be mean, but why do you let your Dad determine what you buy? I don't know how old you are, but if you have the cash, spend it! I'm getting the Superbit re-issues and I already have most of these titles.
patriot.gif

Rob Robinson

Second Unit
"But my dad doesnt like rebuying movies, I cant get them."
hmm. this sounds easy enough to fix.
get a job :) buy your own shit :) anyone old enough to watch and understand Fight Club should be old enough to buy their own $20 movies.
and from what i've read, the superbits you mention are not worth rebuying. But T2...

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Yeah, im usually in the same situation, but my dad doesnt buy it period... with $70.20 CAD in my bank account, it doesnt help either..
Thankfully i got an interivew for a job at SportChek (All around sporting goods store in canada), so if i do, I'll have plenty of spending to do... :)
Also, Johnny Mnemonic sucked big time... I watched it on Satellite a couple weeks ago, it was so boring and crap... ugh... Almost worse than American Virgin (and it has MENA SUVARI in it!), SO its GOTTA suck
------------------
The So Family Home Theater!
http://www.multimania.com/sonick182/ht/index.html
You're all entitled to your opinion, but you're all wrong!!! - Paul Dalmine
[Edited last by NickSo on October 05, 2001 at 05:53 PM]

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Ok, first, I love you all. :)
Dont hate me.
wink.gif

My dad wont let me get a job cause he thinks it will get in the way of my school work. Im broke too. Im saving up so I can make a DIY sub. I would buy them myself but I have to invest in my computer, my paintball stuff, my movie productions, theater, etc. etc.
------------------
Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I am comfortable with that. I am enlightened.

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
No offense, but with as many hobbies as you seem to have, don't bitch about having no money left for DVD's. I'm not trying to bite your head off, I just think it leaves a bad taste in most of our mouths. Most of us I think have to pare down our hobbies to leave money for mere survival, much less movies. Anyway, if you're into computers, you should be able to find some part time stuff to do for locals in your area. That's basically how I'm supporting my college career, (consultant: another term for unemployed).
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, like I make a decent living wage and I can only afford HT and PC, and not even very much on the PC front, I build my own.
For all that other stuff you do, just be thankful. When you grow up and start working in the real world, then you can buy as many DVDs (or HD-DVDs, depending on how young you are) then.
Until then, relax. And unless you've got some super kick ass system, I don't think you're missing out too much on Superbit DVDs.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Hey there, Im not here to ask how to get money for these movies or ask for your advice on how to get them.
I wanted to know who else out there is upset that they have to repurchase these great movies. Just want to see who was out there that felt the same way.
Ill worry about how I get them. I will. (Im gonna try REAL hard this year so I can make a good impresion towards my dad. I want to get a job.)
So, to clear up this topic; who out there is upset that they have to rebuy these?
rolleyes.gif

------------------

Brent Cantrell

Stunt Coordinator
Like I said, I wasn't trying to bite your head off.
I don't feel I 'have' to re-buy these at all, from all I've read, there's no compelling reason for me to. Slightly improved video (on extremely high-end systems), possibly improved audio (I'm NOT opening another DTS/DD can o' worms, they both have their good points). Overall, I'm happy with the versions I've got. Restoring cut scenes (ala Event Horizon), improving/restoring soundtracks (ala Mad Max), there's reason to re-buy.
Out of curiosity, what system would you be watching these through?
------------------
http://www.dvdprofiler.com/mycollect...lias=BCantrell

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
As a person who really doesn't care one way or another about extras, a Superbit title seems ideal. But, with the fact that I own most of the titles announced, I am not thrilled with a repurchase. Since most of the titles announced I have are considered "acceptable" by myself, I don't foresee a repurchase. Gattaca will probably be my first taste of a Superbit and it will go a long way towards making up my mind as to whether "upgrading" to Superbit titles would be worth it.
Bruce
------------------
mstprev.gif

Welcome aboard the Satellite of Love

Rachael B

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rachael Bellomy
I'm buying BRAM STOKER's DRACULA on SB DVD because I don't have it on grossly inferior dum-ass bit DVD. I like the film and I'm that curious, no more. Scott, your dad may be wiser than you give him credit for. Besides, with the ever increasing catalog of DVD's, I too am very reluctant to dupicate titles too. I'm into a hole new thang every day...When you look at it from the angle of what HDTV's could display, Super Bit is a big dud anyway, me thinks....but I'm curious enough to buy one! Best wishes!
------------------
Rachael, the big disc cat! "...Mandrake, have you ever seen a commie drink water..."
AFI Film Challenge, hey I've only got 1 to go!

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Scott, nobody is making you buy these new releases. If you are perfectly happy with the versions you currently have, and none of the films are you all time favorites just be content with the versions you have now. I would be much more worried if I was in your position to get my dad to buy some of the great films coming out in the next few months as opposed to ones I already own.
J

Kia

Auditioning
To Scott and others who own the original version of 5th Element, does the original have extras that wont be included in the Superbit editions? This will be the judging factor if I purchase the 3pack (5TH Element/CT HD/Desperado).
BTW, I already own Desperado and CTHD and I'm not very happy either about having to re-buy them too Scott. I'd like to own 5th Element on SB but people are saying the original is just as good in quality so I wont get it if the original has any extras. The SB Desperado is said to use a new master which has resulted in substantial increase in quality. I hope this is true. As for CTHD *shrugs*. Even the DTS soundtrack here should be irrelevant although I do like the idea of having both options.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
I was one of a group of HTF'ers at the national meet in LA last week who saw an A-B comparison of the old & new Fifth Element in their amazing screening room.
Bottom line: Don't rush out to replace this title. There were VERY slight differences in video quality, which I honestly doubt would even be noticeable on less than a state-of-the-art projection system. The audio tracks sounded pretty much the same on the two releases as well.
------------------
Too many DVDs, too little time...
AFI 100 Challenge - 36 to go!

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Craig, ya just beat me to it!
Scott, I was at Widescreen Review too. Unless your real last name is "Gates" or "Ellison", don't sweat it- on WR's setup, which is better than 99.999% of home theaters (I kid you not, you'd be amazed at what they put together), there was very little difference between the original and Superbit FE discs. In fact, I would say that the Superbit was slightly *different*, but not necessarily *better*! You would need a seriously kickass system to even have a chance of seeing much difference.
My advice is to put your money towards that DIY equipment- you'll be a lot more proud of that, I'm sure! :)
PS Be glad that your dad has the means to say no job, but still let you keep all those hobbies- for most people, it'd be the other way around!
wink.gif

Scott Strang

Screenwriter
As a person who really doesn't care one way or another about extras, a Superbit title seems ideal.

This never should've been a question in the first place. The bitrate on ALL DVD's should have always been maxed out extras be damned.
Extra's are nice, but how often do we really watch them?
------------------
We are the citizens of the United States of America. Resistance is futile. We CANNOT be stopped so don't bother trying.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks