What's new

This Saturday is Learn to Fly Day (1 Viewer)

KeithAP

Screenwriter
Real Name
Keith
Saturday, May 19th is International Learn to Fly Day. You can check the web site to see if any events are planned in your area.

http://www.learntofly.org/

-Keith

Stan

Senior HTF Member
Got my private pilot's license about 20 years ago, obviously long expired by now, a very expensive hobby if you keep it up.
But was a fun summer, actually soloed on my 29th birthday. Flying can be great, you've just got to be careful like any other activity. Still remember my long solo where I had to land at two different airports, probably about 100 miles apart before landing back at my home airport. You can't even describe the freedom or how wonderful it feels to be in the air on your own. I learned in a Cessna 152, which amazingly was a heck of a lot older than I was.
We still have Air Force KC-135s fly over all the time since they're based at Fairchild AFB. Most of those are well into their fifth decade of flying, obviously with plenty of maintenance and new engines.
Sadly, it's a very expensive hobby to keep up, so I only flew for pleasure a few times after getting my license then let things expire, but it was worth the cost. It is just so cool flying a plane, landing, doing all the different manuevers to get your license, you just have to experience it. There are no words to describe the feeling.

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I didn't even know there was a "Learn to Fly" day! I'll drop by the local airport on Saturday and check out whatever's going on.

I did learn to fly -- in 1977-78 -- out of Van Nuys Airport in California. Love it! I'm sorry to say my logbook stops at around 270 hours, in 150s and 172s, then a few Warriors and Archers. Some job transfers and other interests kind of shoved flying aside, but I was fanatically devoted to it, and still would be if I could justify returning to it. At my age now, mostly with vision correction being a lot more complicated than it was for a 30-something, I seriously doubt I could get approved. But no matter -- I should get to know a few local pilots and go up once in a while.

Thanks for the heads up!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation821
Recent bookmarks