What's new

This just in: Universal TV news! (1 Viewer)

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I couldn't get a peep outa them about 6MDM, but I gotta believe it's on their minds. And Hulk as well, with the film coming.
But, people...MY GOD! They just announced 10...count 'em, 10! TV shows coming to DVD.
What is enough? Give 'em a break, and I'm sure they will be happy to take your money sooner or later... :D

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I'll be getting Galactica, but I doubt anything else, even though I like some of the others.

stephen^wilson

Stunt Coordinator
I hope Quantum Leap comes out in season box sets.Universal released 5 vhs tapes a few years ago in the u.k. but didn't release any more because it was too expensive to clear the rights to all the original songs featured throughout the series,i hope to god they release the whole 5 seasons.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
All right who is taking bets about what will be the next batched released after L&0 and Baretta?? ;)
I am going with Quantum Leap & Dragnet.
Dave says
"But, people...MY GOD! They just announced 10...count 'em, 10! TV shows coming to DVD.
What is enough? Give 'em a break, and I'm sure they will be happy to take your money sooner or later..."
We have given them 5 years to start releasing. Were giddy. ;) But seriously, your right and we all no it. I think people are actually realizing that they might be able to get shows that they never thought they would ever see on dvd.

MattHR

Screenwriter
what about The $6 Million Man series, Jan 2003 will mark the 30 year anniversary when the pilot movie first aired.
I would guess they're seriously considering it. Next year is 6MDM's 30th anniversary. A&E just broadcast a "TVography" special this week about Lee Majors. USA Networks is prepping a new TV series of "The Bionic Woman" for next summer. Herbie J. Pilato has written a book that should be published soon entitled "The Six Million Dollar 70's" about the bionic craze of the 1970's. They've also been trying to develop a big-screen version of 6MDM for years. With "The Hulk" confirmed for the big-screen, bionics can't be far behind.
This all leads to a convenient promotional campaign to help sell dvd box sets of both 6MDM and BW. Universal would be insane to ignore the opportunity. Here's hoping! :)

Esten

Supporting Actor
The first season of Quantum Leap is only 7 episodes + the pilot.SHouldn't take up but 3 DVDs.:)

David Brent

Stunt Coordinator
Does anyone have an idea how much these season sets are likely to cost?

Should we assume that the price for season one of Law & Order, at $99, is going to be the standard cost from Universal?

Alternatively, is it just priced that high because, like the costly X-Files, it's seen as a "current" show?

Baretta's first, half-season has been announced at $39. If you do the obvious and double that figure for a full 22/24 episode season you get $80.

This strikes me as a more reasonable amount for "non-current" series. I certainly hope it's that lower figure, because five and a half seasons of Rockford and seven and a half of Magnum is going to be costly enough, and that's BEFORE Universal hopefully announce more series that I want, like Quincy and Ironside...

If you ask me, Universal would be advised to price these season sets as cheaply as possible so as to encourage fans to collect the whole series, rather than slaughter DVD's new golden goose by trying to make a quick killing.

If Fox can afford to produce a 24 season set for $59, then Universal can surely match this with older products.

David

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
USA Networks is prepping a new TV series of "The Bionic Woman" for next summer.
This will hopefully get the original series released on DVD. I loved that show. Especially the two-parter where she stayed in the mansion in Salem that was haunted by the ghosts of executed witches.

MattHR

Screenwriter
This will hopefully get the original series released on DVD. I loved that show. Especially the two-parter where she stayed in the mansion in Salem that was haunted by the ghosts of executed witches.
There was no episode of "The Bionic Woman" with that plot,
especially a 2-parter. The closest I can think of would be the episode "The Ghost Hunter" with Kristy McNichol, but it wasn't witches or Salem, just a seemingly haunted house. Have you confused it with another series?

Jalil

Stunt Coordinator
I might be wrong, but I think Magnum PI had like 150 episodes or more..
that's over 150 hours.....

sounds like its gonna be expensive as hell.. I'll still buy it though, i love the show.. but man. i wonder..

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
One should remember that X-Files has a high price because A- It was the first show out the gate in an untested, unproven market and b- the actors have FAT residual contracts.

I'm sure that if X-Files were to come out today, it's be $129/season at the most. Probably $99

Mike_G

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mike
I'm drooling over Galactica. 5.1 remix? I hope so!! I mean, why not? Star Trek had it and their 5.1 remixes were as good as they could get.

I'm still waiting on Northern Exposure. There are very few TV series I would get on DVD and that's one of them.

Mike

Joel Fontenot

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joel Fontenot
One should remember that X-Files has a high price because A- It was the first show out the gate in an untested, unproven market..
Not really true. Paramount was the first with Star Trek TOS. Paramount only proved to Fox that season boxed sets were the way to go after the hammering that Paramount got for releasing individual discs with only 2 eps on them.

Star Trek The Original Series Vol 1: released in Aug 1999
The X-Files Season One Box: released in May 2000 - Trek was only up to Vol 11 and 12 by then.

Joel

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Of course, Galactica's DVD of the "pilot" was the bastardized Theatrical edition, with all the cuts.
No, it was the theatrical version that was released in Canada 4 months before the show aired on TV. The TV pilot was subsequently altered so Baltar would be the bad guy. Aside from an anamorphic transfer, I have no problem with the BG DVD for the theatrical release, as this was what I saw in theatres long before seeing the show on TV.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, my apolgies. You're correct about which came first, and when I wrote my little tirade there I simply forgot.
Joel, to set the record straight, the TV-on-DVD franchise releases came in this order:
(Sony) Beavis & Butthead and Aeon Flux: July & Sept. '97
Twilight Zone (Treasures of): Nov. '97 (more in Nov/Dec '98)
SNL (Best of Blues Bros.): Dec. '97
Wonder Years: July '98
South Park (Rhino): Oct. '98
Pokemon: Dec '98
Avengers: March '99
Dragonball Z: April '99
Star Trek - TOS: Aug. '99
Monty Python: Sept. '99
Scooby-Doo: March '00
X-Files: May '00
As you see, there was LOTS more than Star Trek that paved the way to X-Files. I would say that Twilight Zone was probably the best example that led to ST:TOS, with Avengers also having an influence.
But it all seems to have started with Beavis and Butthead! :eek:

Jorge Montes

Stunt Coordinator
Quantum Leap?! :emoji_thumbsup:
I think I'm gonna have to redesign my collection.
All the TV stuff will have it's respective books next to them. This way I can have my QL Encyclopedia somewhere where I can flaunt it with my DVDs.
Now, formally anounce it and get it in my stores already!! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks