What's new

This is Jack Briggs, and I am homeless. (1 Viewer)

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
You're doing all you can Mike. All of us thank you for your efforts.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I appreciate the prompting, Tino.

And I think it shows that all of us are thinking of Jack and his situation from time to time. It is a difficult situation for all of us, I suppose.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Mike Frezon said:
I just wanted to let you all know that I got an e-mail from Jack tonight.

Mike, thanks for sharing the update - it's always good to hear from Jack and I appreciate all of your efforts in keeping the lines of communication open. It was fantastic seeing a new post with his name on it :)

Patrick_S

Senior HTF Member
I had known the relocation didn't go as hoped at the start, I'm just kind of surprised he didn't stay there since the cost of living is so much cheaper. Why come back to one of the most expensive places to live in one of the most expensive states in the Union?

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
What in heaven's name brought you to Los Angeles?

My health. I came to Los Angeles for the waters.

The waters? What waters? We're in the desert.

I was misinformed.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Patrick_S said:
I had known the relocation didn't go as hoped at the start, I'm just kind of surprised he didn't stay there since the cost of living is so much cheaper. Why come back to one of the most expensive places to live in one of the most expensive states in the Union?

I think Jack just had the sense that he knew what he was dealing with in LA. Familiar territory in terms of the social services structure (and geography).

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
Mike - I had perhaps one too many glasses of wine this evening and began to reminisce about HTFers who have come and gone and that made me wonder if anyone had heard from Jack recently. It's been almost a year since I have seen him post.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
Hi there, good people:

Time gives me the fortune to be able to see things clearly, which helps in my situation.

First off, Los Angeles is in my heart. It has been my home for thirty years. Yet, in the early days of what I call "my situation" (sounds better than "homelessness," no?) the small town of Nashville seemed like an easy out. Add to that the then palpable sense of panic, and there you go. I made an error (at no small cost to my good friends at Home Theater Forum).

But here I am. Though I spend my evenings in shelters (still), the end to such is coming into sight. To wit: Praise be to the Social Security Administration. In May (at the age of sixty-one plus nine months), I will be eligible to apply for early retirement. Then, on my birthday (in August), I will start collecting it. Better, according to the Social Security website, I will be receiving enough to be able to restore a "real" roof over my head. (Ah, but if only I could collect what I would receive if I were to file for "regular" retirement at age sixty-five! Well, I do not wish to wait that long. I will gladly rent a single or efficiency.)

So there you have it. Yes, I am still in "that situation," but the end is in view. I am under no delusions. And I hope it does not go against Forum rules to state, with no equivocation, I am so, so grateful for Social Security.

Thank you for your concern, people. I love you (more than you can know).

Jack "Big Guv'ment Lover" Briggs

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hi Jack. I'm so happy to hear there is a light at the end of the long tunnel you have been stuck in. Know that those of us that knew you, know you and are just meeting you wish you all the best. Be well Jack. I miss you buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks