What's new

This Is Cinerama 60th Anniversary Blu-ray/DVD Review (1 Viewer)

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Nice review, Timothy.
One sentence confuses me:
"(VistaVision test footage apparently still exists from The Greatest Show On Earth, although it was released in 3-strip technicolor.) "
The 3-strip Technicolor reference -- was it referring to the test footage or "The Greatest Show on Earth"? And is the reference an indication that VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor were incompatible?

Timothy E

Reviewer
Real Name
Timothy Ewanyshyn
Originally Posted by Virgoan /t/323960/this-is-cinerama-60th-anniversary-blu-ray-dvd-review#post_3980414
Nice review, Timothy.
One sentence confuses me:
"(VistaVision test footage apparently still exists from The Greatest Show On Earth, although it was released in 3-strip technicolor.) "
The 3-strip Technicolor reference -- was it referring to the test footage or "The Greatest Show on Earth"? And is the reference an indication that VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor were incompatible?

The Greatest Show On Earth was ultimately filmed in 35mm in 3-strip Technicolor and released in Academy ratio of 1.37:1. VistaVision is a wider aspect ratio, and my reason for mentioning it in the review of This Is Cinerama is that both films share certain similarities, and both were released at a time when the studios were experimenting with new widescreen processes like Cinerama, Cinemascope, and VistaVision. I am not aware of any incompatibilities between VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor. I understand that Technicolor was producing reduction dye transfer prints of VistaVision films by 1954, which was considered to create a better result than the 3-strip process.

John Hermes

Screenwriter
Real Name
John Hermes
Timothy E said:
The Greatest Show On Earth was ultimately filmed in 35mm in 3-strip Technicolor and released in Academy ratio of 1.37:1.  VistaVision is a wider aspect ratio, and my reason for mentioning it in the review of This Is Cinerama is that both films share certain similarities, and both were released at a time when the studios were experimenting with new widescreen processes like Cinerama, Cinemascope, and VistaVision.  I am not aware of any incompatibilities between VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor.  I understand that Technicolor was producing reduction dye transfer prints of VistaVision films by 1954, which was considered to create a better result than the 3-strip process.
The VistaVision camera was a monster with one strip of film going through it. Can you imagine three?

Bob Furmanek

Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bob
You mean like this:
That's six rolls of film at one time: three strip Technicolor and dual-strip 3-D = YCM left and right.

Virgoan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Ron Pulliam
Timothy E said:
The Greatest Show On Earth was ultimately filmed in 35mm in 3-strip Technicolor and released in Academy ratio of 1.37:1.  VistaVision is a wider aspect ratio, and my reason for mentioning it in the review of This Is Cinerama is that both films share certain similarities, and both were released at a time when the studios were experimenting with new widescreen processes like Cinerama, Cinemascope, and VistaVision.  I am not aware of any incompatibilities between VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor.  I understand that Technicolor was producing reduction dye transfer prints of VistaVision films by 1954, which was considered to create a better result than the 3-strip process.
Thank you.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
Timothy E said:
I am not aware of any incompatibilities between VistaVision and 3-strip Technicolor. 
The fact that with the VistaVision camera, the film runs horizontally with 8-perf frames and the Technicolor camera runs 3-strips vertically with 4-perf frames. It would be quite a feat to build a 3-strip VistaVision camera.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Originally Posted by Reed Grele /t/323960/this-is-cinerama-60th-anniversary-blu-ray-dvd-review#post_3981342
Here's what I'll be watching tonight:

Mine arrived as well. Did a quick sampling of This Is Cinerama and was quite pleased. Nice to see the new 2-Disc Scanavo packaging used, too. Did the previous Flicker Alley Blu-ray's use this packaging?

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Mine are on their way. Can't wait! I've seen This is Cinerama, but never Windjammer and I'm especially looking forward to that.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Apparently these can travel cross country faster than they can travel across Los Angeles.

ahollis

Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Allen
Originally Posted by NY2LA /t/323960/this-is-cinerama-60th-anniversary-blu-ray-dvd-review/30#post_3981372
Apparently these can travel cross country faster than they can travel across Los Angeles.
Must be, I got mine today and my buddy in Dallas got his also today. I am very happy with both films. With the tiny budget that was allocated for these projects, I think every penny was used to get them to look and sound good. Also impressed with the extras. Great job David S.

Reed Grele

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Reed Grele
After watching THIS IS CINERAMA (for the first time ever) I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Not at the transfer, which is great, but with the content. I'm sure that when people saw it for the first time 60 years ago on a gigantic curved screen and with the then new stereo surround system, they would have been in awe even if all they had shown was someone reading a telephone directory.
Some of the sequences just don't hold the same fascination or wonder any longer. Although I can appreciate what the film makers at the time were trying to do, I imagine many younger people today would say that most of it is just a big snooze fest.
I found the 4x3 b&w introduction by Lowell Thomas, and the bonus features to be far more interesting than the film itself. And for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA fans, if you look over Mr. Thomas' shoulder, you'll see an interesting painting on the wall.
Still, it's a great time capsule of the time (can you imagine a film maker getting clearance today to fly low over Washington D.C. or under the Golden Gate Bridge?!!)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
To be fair, we're 60 years in the future so it is normal to be disappointed by looking at such content from 1952 with 2012 eyes and sensibilities.

Crawdaddy

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce
Reed Grele said:
After watching THIS IS CINERAMA (for the first time ever) I have to say that I was a bit disappointed. Not at the transfer, which is great, but with the content. I'm sure that when people saw it for the first time 60 years ago on a gigantic curved screen and with the then new stereo surround system, they would have been in awe even if all they had shown was someone reading a telephone directory.
Some of the sequences just don't hold the same fascination or wonder any longer. Although I can appreciate what the film makers at the time were trying to do, I imagine many younger people today would say that most of it is just a big snooze fest.
I found the 4x3 b&w introduction by Lowell Thomas, and the bonus features to be far more interesting than the film itself. And for LAWRENCE OF ARABIA fans, if you look over Mr. Thomas' shoulder, you'll see an interesting painting on the wall.
Still, it's a great time capsule of the time (can you imagine a film maker getting clearance today to fly low over Washington D.C. or under the Golden Gate Bridge?!!)
My understanding is that the pilot DIDN'T have permission to fly under the Golden Gate Bridge. He just did it.
Doug

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
I seem to get a lot of things a day later than other people -- now including Reed, who lives 30 miles as the crow flies further from the west coast shipping point than I do. Can you beat that?

But I'm delighted to say that I just got mine -- in addition to the Bonds and the Twilight Time NOTLD -- and that the rest of this weekend is hereby devoted to some blissful Blu-ray watching.

NY2LA

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chas in CT said:
I seem to get a lot of things a day later than other people -- now including Reed, who lives 30 miles as the crow flies further from the west coast shipping point than I do.  Can you beat that?
But I'm delighted  :)   to say that I just got mine -- in addition to the Bonds and the Twilight Time NOTLD -- and that the rest of this weekend is hereby devoted to some blissful Blu-ray watching.
 [FLOAT=LEFT]:banana: [/FLOAT]
Well you're still way ahead of me in Hollywood. Still haven't got it yet. And Amzon still hasn't even SHIPPED American President and Dave. (sigh)

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
ahollis said:
As a fan of movies and movie history, the two Blu-rays out are right up my alley and I stayed up to 2am this morning watching both discs and the abundance of extras.  I almost want to buy couple of more sets to give to unsuspecting friends just to help the cause to get more Cinerama titles released. 
Can I be your friend? :) I couldn't justify the $30 pre-release cost just for me as I am the only one in the household interested in these titles but if received them as a gift (just to encourage more titles) I wouldn't say no. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks